IGNORED

pal?

gospeedde

Is it possible that one half of a double ender is pal formatted and the other isn't? My Chuch Norris Superkicks works just fine, but the Artillery Duel side rolls. I heard that this is because its a pal formatted game. If there is some other reason why it would roll and you know how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate the tip. You guys seem to know all so I'm hoping you'll come to my rescue. I already tried blowing on it and that didn't work so I'm fresh out of ideas.

Though I'm not an expert in double-enders, I must say that the PAL/NTSC rolling thing is sometimes game-dependent. Some games roll, other don't; some are displayed in colors, other in B/W only; some fit the screen, others are too wide to fit. If you ask me, they're probably both PAL (but I wait for more professional opinions...)

As a paradox, the problem would be solved if you switch back to an older TV set, one of those who still had the "vertical hold" knob. The ultra-small portable TVs still have it today, generally.

On the other side, the most recent TV sets has an automatic V-hold device whose range is so wide that generally handles fine both PAL and NTSC signals (though the colors displayed will always be wrong, of course). The best of all would be to have a multi-standard TV, of course, that would solve the problem forever. Check if you eventually have a multi-standard VCR: you could use it as a tuner...

Try the game on another TV set, anyway. Many games that roll on a TV will not roll on another.

Artillery Duel is well known for taking liberties with the frequency - it's way under 60Hz from what I remember. It's not actually PAL, they just programmed it with too many scanlines I think... the only way to play it is with a TV that can sync to it, or has a vertical hold.

Hope that helps...

Is it possible that one half of a double ender is pal formatted and the other isn't?  My Chuch Norris Superkicks works just fine, but the Artillery Duel side rolls.  I heard that this is because its a pal formatted game.

:idea: No, Artillery Duel rolls for exactly the opposite reason, the game is not displaying too many scanlines (PAL), but too few. This results in a too high framerate (~65 Hz vs. 60Hz NTSC standard) and some TVs can not sync to that anymore.

My artillery duel rolls on my big tv also, so don't feel bad. But I do have a 10" tv I can play it on :D You just need an older tv from the 80's with a vertical hold.

Also if you ever play Condor Attack on a real tv it doesn't roll, but it looks like it wants to ever time you shoot one of the enemies. I guess that game is programmed real shitty also.

Televisions that have a vertical hold adjustment can often be tweaked to run with PAL games (or games that are not quite NTSC-compliant). The colors may not look right, but hey, at least you can look at it. I believe I've had success with PAL carts on my Commodore 1702 monitors by playing with the adjustments. :)

..Al