IGNORED

I bought one of those Atari 10 in 1 games joystick units

tiw

just to see how they did it. It has 10 games in it 4 AA batteries in the bottom, and power, reset, select and start switches on the front.

I took it apart and there wasn't much inside. It has two chips under the black "blob" os stuff to seal the bare chip. One I assume handles the tia function and the other is probably ROM and game storage. It has 1 or 2 transistors , bunch of resistors and a few caps, that's it! I was thinking of Retrocon and his effort. If they casn do it in China, we should be able to do it also and better! I am still learning the hardware and unfortunately am not a programmer! The 10 in 1 joystick has one video and 1 audio cable coming out with RCA jacks. Games included are: Gravitar, asteroids, Realsports volleyball, Centipede, Adventure, Pong, Missile Command, Breakout, Yar's revenge, and Circus Atari. Actually the things works ok with pretty good joystick movement. http://www.jakkstvgames.com/

Now if someone smarter than I could figure out how to tap into this ting with a memory stick cartridge, a lot of the work is already done in this thing. What do you guys think?

from what ive heard off hand, its not an emulator, as that wouldve required a semi-hefty pc to handle (certainly something that would cost more than 20 bucks to mass produce).

Exactly right. None of these all-in-one controller game systems actually emulates the original code. That's why so many people have complained about their inaccuracies. Definitely the hardware isn't powerful enough to really do emulation.

Naturally, someone COULD engineer a 2600's hardware into a form this small nowadays, but the R&D would be prohibitively expensive for a piece of hardware that sells for $20. So there's a somewhat standardized hardware system that runs in most of these, and the game code has to be ported/rewritten to work on this hardware.

My understanding from something I saw a while ago is that the games are pre-converted to run on a pseudo-emulator for a custom Graphics & Sound processor. In other words, the 6507 instruction conversion is done ahead of time, and the graphics and sound are handled in real time, reducing the CPU power needed (plus the sound emulation is poor). One blob is probably the hardware and the other is the ROM.

-Bry

One blob is probably the hardware and the other is the ROM.

-Bry

If it's anything like the Activision one, then the division is not so clear. The Activsion one has two blobs, the switch inputs clearly goto the one blob and the video and audio comes from the other. It's possible that one contains the audio/video hardware and the other contain processor, ROM and IO.

Dan

Can someone go into some minor detail on the Activision and Intellivision TV Games joysticks? If they're worth a damn, what games are on them, price points, that sort of thing.

I never saw those in my area, just the Atari and Namco releases.

Can someone go into some minor detail on the Activision and Intellivision TV Games joysticks?  If they're worth a damn, what games are on them, price points, that sort of thing.

I never saw those in my area, just the Atari and Namco releases.

The Activision one is a piece of garbage. The emulation on it is very poor, gameplay is awkward, and the fire buttons are terrible.

How hard would it be to incorporate a socket for ROM chips where one chip could be swapped out to play another?

As someone previously stated - it's not an emulator. Roms wouldn't do you any good. The code for all these games have been ported over to the custom "nes on a chip" engine, and very poorly at that.

... The Activision one is a piece of garbage.  The emulation on it is very poor, gameplay is awkward, and the fire buttons are terrible.

Actually, Jakks has re-released the Activision version with a new joystick that's more like a real 2600 or arcade stick -- there's even a 2nd fire button on top of the stick:

http://www.jakkstvgames.com/activision.html

-PongHit

Can someone go into some minor detail on the Activision and Intellivision TV Games joysticks?  ...

The Intellivision unit isn't made by Jakks... Apparently, the Intellivision one is XTRA lame.

The Activision, Atari, & Namco ones aren't perfect for us hardcore folks -- but they're great as gifts for people who would appreciate a simple & fast way to get a retro fix.

Details about the games here: http://www.jakkstvgames.com/

-PongHit

The Activision, Atari, & Namco ones aren't perfect for us hardcore folks -- but they're great as gifts for people who would appreciate a simple & fast way to get a retro fix.

Actually they'd be perfect as a cheap gift for me... because I aint about to fork out $15+ for one :lol: But sure, I'd take one as a gift! :D I wouldn't mind having one of these at all (whether I'd actually play them is another story however).

The Intellivision one is just a NES with the Intellivision games crudely converted into NES games.

Whoa, for real? That's just so freakishly cool that I'd probably be forced to get one.

And that, in a nutshell, was my reaction as well (and I was forced to get one. :D ) It is pretty shitty soundwise in particular, but hey, the Astrosmash is better than the one on my cell phone anyway ;)

I'm still looking forward to the individual games getting dumped so I can play them on my GBA NES emulator :D