IGNORED

Ive just got my CD encryption verify cart

walter_J64bit

You know I wondered what use this cart has.

I was wondering who would want it when you cant encrypt your own CD with it. To do that you need an Alpine (or a BJL mod'ed Jag when that info becomes available) to run the encryption code. If you have an Alpine or a BJL mod'ed Jag you can also run the verification program from RAM on them.

I am aware of two cd verifiy programs from Atari. One does a quick check and the other does a more detailed verification. Can you describe what the cart does when running it on an encrypted CD? I'm curious what kind of output it gives so I can detemine which Atari utility they put on the cart.

Damn, missed it...never got around to buying my own CF :D

I'm just as confused as belboz - I can't see why it would be at all useful to anyone who wasn't burning their own encrypted CDs from scratch. Seems to me some of the newer releases are more noise than signal :?

Stone

Thanks for the screen shots!

I have two CD verification tools with my dev stuff. One called cdver is the same as what your screen shots are of. Same version and everything.

The other is cdverslo and it seems to do a more detailed examination of the CD. It takes much longer. Seems to report a few more hashes than cdver also.

I have to say I have had problems with cdver giving accurate results with user encrypted CD's. When I first started playing with the encryption I could get a CD that would pass the CDVER program but not work on the Jag. Glenn had the same issue when he was working with it.

I would be very cautious on buying this cart. Seems like a waste of money.

If your goal is to make your own encrypted CD's you will already need an Alpine (or BJL Jag) and you will be able to run the cdver or cdverslo programs yourself.

If you just want to make a backup of a Jag CD you already own, just copy it and test it on your Jag.

Here is some screen caps of both programs. Sorry for the quality. I used a long cable to connect to my cap card and the Jag, and the quality isn't the greatest.

In all cases I used the Myst Demo disk with both programs.

Here is two caps of CDVER running a check on the Myst Demo CD.

http://www.hillsoftware.com/Atari/jag/cdver_01.jpg

http://www.hillsoftware.com/Atari/jag/cdver_02.jpg

Here is the CDVERSLO running on the same Myst Demo CD

http://www.hillsoftware.com/Atari/jag/cdverslo_02.jpg

You will notice the CDVERSLO reports 8 more hashes than the CDVER program.

Thanks for the screen shots!

I have two CD verification tools with my dev stuff.  One called cdver is the same as what your screen shots are of.  Same version and everything.

The other is cdverslo and it seems to do a more detailed examination of the CD.  It takes much longer.  Seems to report a few more hashes than cdver also.

I have to say I have had problems with cdver giving accurate results with user encrypted CD's. When I first started playing with the encryption I could get a CD that would pass the CDVER program but not work on the Jag.  Glenn had the same issue when he was working with it.

I would be very cautious on buying this cart. Seems like a waste of money.

If your goal is to make your own encrypted CD's you will already need an Alpine (or BJL Jag) and you will be able to run the cdver or cdverslo programs yourself.  

If you just want to make a backup of a Jag CD you already own, just copy it and test it on your Jag.

Any way it's now part of my Jag collection and on problem on the screen shots.