IGNORED

Formatting DD disks as HD

I always could format normal DD disks as HD disks on my MEGA STE.

Can all ST 1.44 drives format DDs without problems and without data loss? My disks still work after almost 10 years?

BTW. Can ST drives format HD disks with more than 20 sectors/track ? Mine does not, but can format 84 tracks.

The AMIGA can use 22 tracks and with special tools even more AFAIK (almost 2Mbyte/disk).

I used a program called FCOPY Pro to format HD disks up to 20 sectory/84 tracks.

This program formats DD disks up to 11 sectors/84 tracks , these are a little bit slower than 720K disks, but I never had serious data loss.

Thimo

If you make an extra hole in the disk all 1.44 drives will see a DD as a HD.

Some disks probably work better and are more reliable than others. I can't say i used this method much, but it worked fine for me.

My MEGA STE could format the DD disks as HD disks without the extra hole.And the MEGA STE of a friend could do this, too.

Thimo

well i got a Mega and can't format HD floppies..got a Epson smd-300 floppy drive and set the jumper (#7) and still no go...i get the requestor and it has hd listed but when i try to format it says disk is either not in drive or defective...looks like i need an AJAX chip