IGNORED

Power Supply Solution

Rob Mitchell

I have two 7800 consoles and only one 7800 power supply (with the propriatory (ugh) plug). And always fearful that I would lose, drop, break the 7800 power brick.

So I finally ordered some parts from BGMicro and got a 1A 9vDC power supply with 2.1 mm barrel connector. I also got a 2.1 mm barrel power socket.

It was an easy job to desolder the propriatory socket off the the 7800 circuit board. Then there are two holes through which to thread a nylon zip tie to hold the replacement barrel socket. I had to trim off some metal off the replacement socket to prevent the possibility of a nearby short. I soldered some jumper wires to the proper places. (Thanks CPUWIZ for the pic) I double checked the polarity of the wiring by tracing the circuit to the leads of the big capacitor nearby. Pulled the zip tie tight. And reassembled the case.

Now I have a 7800 console with a standard socket and a power supply to match. Job done!

BGMicro Part numbers:

9v DC 1A Power Supply, 2.1 mm barrel connector, positive center: PWR1167 $2.99

2.1 mm barrel type PC board receptacle: PWR1137 $0.49

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

BGMicro is out of stock of the PS and sockets .. So I had to resort to Radio Shack for parts.

I used a Size K power jack (5.0mm OD and 2.1 mm ID) which accepts a barrel power plug. Part number 274-1565 for two. It is held in place by two small zip ties through the holes left by the original propriatory socket.

To a generic 10v DC 800 mA power supply I soldered the same size barrel plug. Part number 274-1567 for two. And a Genesis power supply can work with this new plug.

Now I have two modified 7800 decks. Dennis Debro will be getting his modified 7800 deck back and new power supply tomorrow.

What is the advantage? You do not have to worry about the stupid propriatory power supply going on the fritz.

(not too far from Dennis Debro) :D

Thanks for the update, and good timing, as I have at least one 7800 that I need to do this mod to. I have done a similar mod in the past using a 2600-style power connector, but those aren't the greatest and a barrel connector would be better. And that 7800 is now broken (don't know why), so time for another to go under the knife. Do you have any pictures of the connector attached to your board? Would be nice to see your handiwork. :)

..Al

Do you have any pictures of the connector attached to your board?

Sorry no .. My digital camera has some problems. But the RS barrel socket has two "ears" .. and there are two vacant holes after removing the original socket. So that makes for great tie down spots.

Also I should mention that the RS socket is switched. For center positive: The outer solder tab is for (-) ground. The center pin tab (+) is obvious. The third solder tab is the switched one .. ignore it. Make sure that you place the socket with the pos tab up such that nothing gets shorted! Project Time: 10 minutes including removing the original socket with copper wick.

Do you have any pictures of the connector attached to your board?

Sorry no .. My digital camera has some problems. But the RS barrel socket has two "ears" .. and there are two vacant holes after removing the original socket. So that makes for great tie down spots.

Also I should mention that the RS socket is switched. For center positive: The outer solder tab is for (-) ground. The center pin tab (+) is obvious. The third solder tab is the switched one .. ignore it. Make sure that you place the socket with the pos tab up such that nothing gets shorted! Project Time: 10 minutes including removing the original socket with copper wick.

Great, thanks for the additional information. I'll stop by Radio Shack this week and pick up the parts and modify one of my 7800 units so I can enjoy it again. If I remember, I'll take some before and after pictures. :)

..Al

I'll stop by Radio Shack this week and pick up the parts and modify one of my 7800 units so I can enjoy it again.  If I remember, I'll take some before and after pictures.  :)

Cool! And it should be noted that all connections should be verified with a multimeter before switching on the power. :P