IGNORED

Space Invaders or Asteroids?

AtariKing

“Space Invaders” for both the arcade and 2600.

In fact, until Thomas's "Asteroids DC+" hack, I never could stand the 2600 version of “Asteroids”. The almost linear movement of the rocks always bugged the heck out of me. I play the hack cart all the time now but the original just sits and collects dust. (Not that I'd turn down a silver or red one, mind you! ;) )

While I've spent my fair share of time playing both the arcade and 2600 versions of Space Invader, if I had to choose between the two games I'd pick Asteroids. Due to the random nature of the Asteroids, and the directions they sail in when you shoot them, I find that Asteroids has more variety and can more easily keep me on my toes. Especially with the UFOs. :)

..Al

I didn't like the 2600 Asteroids at all. It seemed easy and boring. OTOH, I loved 2600 Space Invaders, and didn't care for it in the arcades - I couldn't get the hang of controlling the gun using the buttons, but it worked beautifully with the joystick.

For me:

Arcade -- Asteroids by a mile.

2600 -- Space Invaders by a mile.

I didn't like the 2600 Asteroids at all. It seemed easy and boring.

I agree with above... Maybe we're missing something, Noah... I'm so surprised of the amount of people who likes the 2600 port: those rocks move in such a dull way, and it seems so easy to go on for hours and hours even with the UFOs on... I loved the Arcade (the first arcade I've ever played, BTW) but if you ask me, I should say that the 2600 port sucks... What's the matter?