IGNORED

N64 Games Becoming Classics?

A2600

Classic is a relative term in the N64s case. ;)

Yes, the system is nearing 10 years since release...but how many of the games are going to be remembered in another 10 years? It can't be many more than 5-10.

Maybe it's just because I don't enjoy this system...it's my absolute least favorite system overall I've ever played.

Many of the N64 games have been replaced by later, better versions. Like Fzero X was replaced by the Cube version. Ditto Smash Brothers & Mario Kart & Goldeneye. These old N64 games are worthless now that we have the same game in higher-quality graphics.

However, the "unique" games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario will become classics that never die, and I'm sure we'll see ports of these games to the Gameboy 3D around ~2010.

Many of the N64 games have been replaced by later, better versions.  Like Fzero X was replaced by the Cube version.  Ditto Smash Brothers & Mario Kart & Goldeneye.  These old N64 games are worthless now that we have the same game in higher-quality graphics.

I wouldn't say "worthless", though maybe "worth less", if you see what I mean.

The 3D games have a problem though, since, this far along in what was the "next generation", the engines look really crusty. Mario Kart 64 is a good example...it has a lot of unique features and courses and gameplay that Double Dash doesn't, but sometimes it's hard to focus on given the framerates and what not.

However, the "unique" games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario will become classics that never die, and I'm sure we'll see ports of these games to the Gameboy 3D around ~2010.

I'm definately looking forward to handheld N64 ports.

As for Scooterb23...I dunno, all I can say is the N64 reignited the torch of console multiplayer gaming that, say, bomberman had been keeping alive as a little candle. I had the good forutne of getting an N64 (because of Star Fox 64) right before moving into a big semi-communal house where there was always 2 or 3 people up for a game of Mario Kart 64 or Mario Party or Smash Bros., and the N64 was the PERFECT system for that. Then combined with some great and innovative one player games: Mario 64, Zelda:OoT, Rogue Squadron, even smaller titles like Space Station Silicon Valley and Blast Corps... it might be that the N64 is only "remembered" for 5-10 games, but then again, so are most systems. (Except for fans of certain genres, who really dive into the old library.)

Many of the N64 games have been replaced by later, better versions.  Like Fzero X was replaced by the Cube version.  Ditto Smash Brothers & Mario Kart & Goldeneye.  These old N64 games are worthless now that we have the same game in higher-quality graphics.

Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 worthless? That is blasphemy.

Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 worthless? That is blasphemy.

I lived in a fraternity house when this system came out and We would have 4 player battles for hours on end with this system and these two games. Well worth the purchase.

Since when was Goldeneye redone with higher-quality graphics? Or are you just thinking of James Bond 007 movie games in general?

Since when was Goldeneye redone with higher-quality graphics? Or are you just thinking of James Bond 007 movie games in general?

I assume he meant the latter, I don't think there's a port of that game.

he might even mean FPS in general....I believe the core GoldenEye team ended up making TimeSplitters2, which I think is absolutely terrific.

I never got into GoldenEye....once or twice I tried to get into it, but it just never seems that compelling.

Hmmmm... okay let me be more specific:

F-zero X was replaced by F-zero GX

Mario Kart 64 was replaced by Mario Kart Double Dash

Goldeneye was replaced by modern FPSes (like Red Faction)

There's no reason to play these older N64 games when they've been replaced by equivalent games on the Cube with far superior graphics. Most gamers will forget about the N64 versions.

Unique games like Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time have not been replaced with better versions, so they'll still be remembered.

That's not a valid reason.

Maybe we shouldn't play Mario 1 because Mario 3 is out. Wait.. no Mario 3 because Mario World is.. wait.. no World.. How about Yoshi's Island?

Wait.. no.... what's the latest platformer? We have to play that from now on.

Goldeneye can NOT be replaced. Not even by Perfect Dark. And PD can't be replaced either. Not even the Mario Kart series. They're all DIFFERENT. So are both the Smash Bros games. Both include different stuff. You can't just replace games like this.

Aren't you forgetting ground breaking games like

Perfect Dark

Blast Corps

Pilot Wings 64

Mischeif Makers

Tetrisphere

in my view all absolute classics plus the listed above.

I think someones treading on a sour grape..

If the N64 never produced classic games, then why have i gone out and bought the 64 4 times...

I rest my face 8)

There's no reason to play these older N64 games when they've been replaced by equivalent games on the Cube with far superior graphics.  Most gamers will forget about the N64 versions.

Unique games like Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time have not been replaced with better versions, so they'll still be remembered.

I love FPS and Goldeneye is the king of FPS. I always loved games like Doom but it was Goldeneye that really got me hooked on FPS.

Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash are 2 different games. I don't think either one is as good as Super Mario Kart for the SNES.

Both these games will be remembered by gamers for many years.

If you have any "worthless" N64 games, pass them my way.

There's no reason to play these older N64 games when they've been replaced by equivalent games on the Cube with far superior graphics.  Most gamers will forget about the N64 versions.

Actually there are two bond games out for the Cube, but they aren't replacements for goldeneye. Sometimes I don't like superior graphics, I like in goldeneye were you can see the corner of some guys head sticking out from the wall and shoot the edge. :D

I will never stop playing that game.

Along with Tetris (regular, not tetrisphere)

Not really. MK64 had some real imaginative tracks and a better battle mode. F-Zero X had better music and the random track generator. And Goldeneye was just awesome, as is perfect dark. Timesplitters 2 has nothing on those two. And I know people who claim the original smash bros. was way better then the sequel, despite smaller character lineup. Although graphically the sequels own em, they have merits that make em worth going back to.

And then you got Mario Tennis, which just plain rocks.

YER NUTS I SAY!!

I got DOUBLE DASH (GC)

And mario cart on my N64 hooked up right beside it it gets played probably as much as the GC double dash :-)

also all the zelda games N64 are the best wind waker is too dang short!

But....the GC gets played more than that slowass!!!!! PS2 next to it lol

:D :D :D :D :D :D

First off, you guys forgot that I said: However, the "unique" games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario and Ocarina of Time will become classics that never die, and I'm sure we'll see ports of these games to the Gameboy 3D around ~2010.

Maybe we shouldn't play Mario 1 because Mario 3 is out.

Well... no... but I DO prefer the Super Nintendo versions on Mario All-Stars. Same game. Better sound/graphics.

You can't just replace games

Most people do. They trade-in their N64 for a Cube. They abandon the old games and get their upgraded/more graphically advanced versions.

By the way, aren't you guys getting just a little... overly excited? I was merely expressing my opinion that Mario Kart 64 has been replaced by MK Double Dash... similar to how Gran Turismo 2 was replaced by the far more advanced (but essentially the same game) GT3... or how Madden 2000 was replaced with Madden 2004.

That is all.

Calm down.

:D

By the way, aren't you guys getting just a little... overly excited?  I was merely expressing my opinion that Mario Kart 64 has been replaced by MK Double Dash... similar to how Gran Turismo 2 was replaced by the far more advanced (but essentially the same game) GT3... or how Madden 2000 was replaced with Madden 2004.

Well, you may've touched a nerve w/ some folk, it's a very popular game.

Though MK64->MK:DD is a much bigger transformation than the two examples you just gave. 'Course I'm biased 'cause I care not a whit for either of those 2 games, but football is football, and comes out every year. Realistic Car Racing tends to go only one more direction: realistic. Mario Kart comes out, like, once a system, so it's a bigger change in gameplay, and the boards have a lot more personality than in GT2 or 3. (for the average gamer I mean). Mario Kart 64 is all jumps on circling shells, Mario Kart:DD is all slides and special, per-character attacks...

Now, if that rumored "Mario Kart 64 bonus disc" had actually come out as a preorder bonus, all bets would be off...it would do to MK64 what Mario All Stars did to the NES versions...actually much more so.

So for everyone but the sluttiest (well, or poorest) gamer who trades in everything as soon as the shine is off, Mario Kart 64 has a lot of value.

Can you say..."sequel?"

There's no reason to play these older N64 games when they've been replaced by equivalent games on the Cube with far superior graphics.  

Going by this way of thinking no one should care about any consoles/games exept for the newest most graphicaly powerful consoles/games, this means that everyone should sell or throw away anything older than a ps2 (this includes all of the consoles made by Atari (i've heard that name somewhere on this site :roll: ))

------------------

AND

while I'm posting I would like to apologize for all the dumb noobie stuff I posted on this and other forums