IGNORED

Nazgul Demo

emkay

OK... here it is... the first Demo with G2F Graphics and RMT Soundtrack with 16 Bit Base-sounds :)

One Problem is the jumpy sound when using 60Hz in the emulator... So owners of 60Hz NTSC machines may please check if the Demo is working better on their machines.

Well the theme is actually a part of Lord of the Rings.... the Nazgul.

I hope you like it... and if you don't like it, please take a look at the used techniques....

the music is indeed not the usual Pokey style, but I was waiting for something new. Nearly all Pokey tunes are alike. So I like it. I still think the tune could have more balance (finetuning the volume etc.), but the tune could be used to support an interactive demo (like I'm planning to do for the flashcart game) as it has some kind of feeling that resembles the impression of the demolevel artwork I've made so far.

A question for emkay/schmutzpuppe:

How much cpu time does the RMT song need (per frame)? I've reserved a maximum of 3648 cycles. And how can I implement it in my main code?

-----

mux

(...)

A question for emkay/schmutzpuppe:

How much cpu time does the RMT song need (per frame)? I've reserved a maximum of 3648 cycles. And how can I implement it in my main code?

-----

mux

I can't answer that excactly, the song runs in VBI and can use most of the available cycles.

I can count the cycles that are used from the rest of the code before/after RMT in VBI if it helps.

Maybe Raster can give you more information about average cycle use.

Matthias

Some statements:

What I love the most from this Demo is the music. It is unique in Sounding. And if you like it or not is depending on your tastes in music. And .... ofcourse ... it IS Music .... contrary to almost 80% of the SAP archive. The Track is able to rebuild the feeling that a Nagzul is a horrible Enemy that wants your live. This effect is not possible with a track that is done like Rob Hubbard's "One man and his Droid"

Musicians with their own style and taste in music can every time create songs they like with this technique. To show this possibility is the main cause for this Demo.

At second I love the effects of brightness-changings in the hi-res-scroller. On a PAL monitor it has a phantastic metallic shining and was never used in any game before...

At last I love the Picture which is one of the greatest (non flickering) on ATARI 8 ... besides the other G2F pics. But it can easiely be topped

Some statements:

What I love the most from this Demo is the music. It is unique in Sounding. And if you like it or not is depending on your tastes in music. And .... ofcourse ... it IS Music .... contrary to almost 80% of the SAP archive.  

So what you're basically saying is that what you create is music if we like it or not, but what everyone else creates only constitutes music if you like it?

That's a lot of sway for one person, don't you think? :)

The Track is able to rebuild the feeling that a Nagzul is a horrible Enemy that wants your live. This effect is not possible with a track that is done like Rob Hubbard's "One man and his Droid"  

Musicians with their own style and taste in music can every time create songs they like with this technique. To show this possibility is the main cause for this Demo.  

no. what you're showcasing is your particular 'style' and at the end of that day that's all it is - not right, not wrong, just your own personal style. you can't keep claiming to be open-minded about music, then constantly keep ramming your own particular preference down everyones throat claiming everyone else is wrong.

Some statements:

What I love the most from this Demo is the music. It is unique in Sounding. And if you like it or not is depending on your tastes in music. And .... ofcourse ... it IS Music .... contrary to almost 80% of the SAP archive.  

So what you're basically saying is that what you create is music if we like it or not, but what everyone else creates only constitutes music if you like it?

That's a lot of sway for one person, don't you think? :)

I am not basically saying, my creations are music. I said, the Nazgul song is Music, because it does work like music and it is build like music.

A drum is always sounding the same and is build by deeper notes.

The main voice is always played by its notation and can vary to create sounding-characteristics.

A Baseline can be build with more than 3 notes

Every channel has its different sound

A baseline has not to be played by "dong kung kreng klang" or " toc toc" sounds. But those "dong kung kreng klang" soundings are good for percussions and soundeffects and not for a main voice or a baseline...

Only "Hihat" oder "Snaredrums" (or similar instruments) are still having a benefit with hi-toned random noises played.

The Track is able to rebuild the feeling that a Nagzul is a horrible Enemy that wants your live. This effect is not possible with a track that is done like Rob Hubbard's "One man and his Droid"  

no. what you're showcasing is your particular 'style' and at the end of that day that's all it is - not right, not wrong, just your own personal style. you can't keep claiming to be open-minded about music, then constantly keep ramming your own particular preference down everyones throat claiming everyone else is wrong.

How can an instrument be my "style"s showcase? It's more like a guitar player shows off how a guitar has to be played.... nothing else.

OK... you can try to play a melody by hitting a wood-stick towards a wall...

Or, you can try to create earthshaking bass by using a flute ... and call it music ;)

All I want to tell is to play Bass via a Drum and a Melody via a Flute... this is not my style .... this is rationally music.

I can't answer that excactly, the song runs in VBI and can use most of the available  cycles.

I can count the cycles that are used from the rest of the code before/after RMT in VBI if it helps.

Maybe Raster can give you more information about average cycle use.

Matthias

You won't need to count cycles. When the track is exported from RMT you can enable that grey flickering band on the middle of the screen. It's a cpu usage meter. Roughly it's the amount of grey rasterlines times 114 (at max.).

Emkay, can you send me the RMT file please ??

-----

mux

Despite other comments, I still like the music in this demo. I also think that it is an advance over most of what exists already.

These developments must be encouraged!

I want more!

hm... what do you mean exactly? The song style, the sounding style, or both together?

What do you think about this Song?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/download.php?id=17760

It's a modified song from Sack that Heaven used in the "Elf" Demo.

• 2 weeks later...

nice scroller on top of PMG background.

Well... here you have another heavy underestimated feature of MCS/G2F.

Just use PMg for a fixed Background... to enhance it just set colors like in GED Mode or try to multiplex the PMg and...> Use Charmode movement with out any "EOR" ....

Or just use a rotating charset rotating scroller over it ...etc.

or...

or...

or...

can someone please tell me how i best start to convert pictures into g2f???

please show me the origin picture you (emkay? tebe?) converted from this before starting to work in g2f... just downsizing and reducing colour depth to 4 might not be the best solution to keep the quality...

post-528-1075494130_thumb.jpg

post-528-1075494131_thumb.jpg

post-528-1075494132_thumb.jpg

just downsizing and reducing colour depth to 4 might not be the best solution to keep the quality...

Heaven... this is the only way.... just use the 4 color bitmap as a blue print.

In the Nazgul Picture I had to set nearly 90% new by "clicking"... The Turrican "Alien-Base" picture was a bit easier ... "only" 50% I had to redraw.

Btw: The Rainbow Island Title will only be possible by fully using G2F's GED+ features.