IGNORED

New ACTI title by some of the old ACTI alumni

Klove

Hey All!

Thought you might find this interesting. Garry K, Dan K and Dave C are all gonna' be working on a new title for Activision.

While I can't say exactly what the title is just yet, I can tell you that Me, Dave, Dan and Garry are all working on the design at the mo. We should have the design wrapped up sometime 'round the end of the month. Ironically, when the old school guys will be visiting us new school guys, down here in SoCal.

The game will be coming out on various cell phones here in the U.S, and will launch sometime in May.

The guys are gonna' be coming in-house sometime 'round the end of the month.

I can tell you this.. "It's gonna' be a BIG title."

The game will consist of several Atari 2600-type mini games, all-wrapped up into one BIG game.

Hang Tight and Keep Yer' Ears Open!

Thought you might find this interesting. Garry K, Dan K and Dave C are all gonna' be working on a new title for Activision. ... The game will be coming out on various cell phones here in the U.S, and will launch sometime in May.

Will the new title be functional on a real 2600?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I'd prefer that it was a title on any of the modern consoles. Otherwise, how are those without cell phones going to play it?

My sister has a cell phone and she has to recharge hers every 2 seconds, so I don't get how people can use their cell phones for anything beyond just a phone. It's not like they have a Game Boy Advance SP battery in them.

Is this the thread where Activision realizes that real gamers hate playing on cell phones? Has "Atari 2600-style" become just a euphemism for "simple"? Aren't there about a hundred cooler things for these guys to be doing? Does this have anything to do with classic gaming (aside from the programmers) whatsoever?

What we have here is an advertisement, so we react to it as such. This happened to be a very exciting advertisement until we get to the part about "cell phones." We've been here before. Cell phones are the least interesting method of game playing as Nokia investors are about to learn and I'm sure that none of us are going to buy a new cell phone just to play this game (for those of you already equipped that's great and I hope its a good game for you). So it happens that a few old 2600 programmers are involved. They've been involved with many other projects as well of varying quality (they havent been in a coma since 1984) so the jury's still out on whether this will be a good game. As for calling it "Pitfall 3" or "Megamania 2" or whatever, we've seen the Pitfall name resurrected in some lousy games before so that's no indicator of quality either.

The exciting part of the ad is that the old-school Activision guys are getting in there with the new kids which means a lot of good things could come in the future. So if this cell phone game was an excuse to get the ball rolling (I bet it was a fairly easy sell to the marketing department) then wonderful. But they better move on some new projects fast, because this cell phone game is going to lose interest within a month after it comes out. Like all cell phone games.

SO KEEP POSTING THAT DISSATISFACTION: Because Ken can take this thread to the bosses and say: "Look, there is a demand for games by these classic designers but the fans want them on the GBA and consoles so give me the budget to make it happen."

SO KEEP POSTING THAT DISSATISFACTION:  Because Ken can take this thread to the bosses and say:  "Look, there is a demand for games by these classic designers but the fans want them on the GBA and consoles so give me the budget to make it happen."

Darn right! I have a Game Boy Advance SP, an Xbox, and I will soon have a Playstation 2 (within the next couple of months), so get these guys working on something good I can play. I don't have a cell phone and if I ever get one, I would not want to waste my battery power playing lame games on it. The phone will be used for emergencies and other important things such as "it's time to pick me up" and "do you want me to get some grapes while I'm here?" so my GBA SP (or whatever better thing comes out) will be what I play games on when I am away from home.

I play Pitfall and Qbert on my cell phone when I'm stuck at the mall or at a doctor's office so there's some use. But all the games available are a lot less exciting to play than a good GBA game, they are just filler/time-wasters for the most part.

My Sanyo phone has "Crab Catch" as a builtin, which I resorted to playing after discovering all of Sprint's games expired after a month and all the "free" j2me games were either unlabeled crippleware or basically unplayable with a phone's cursor keys. (Some games, like Astrosmash, fell into all three of those categories!) It's funny, though, "Crab Catch" is actually sort of nostalgic for me because it was the first LCD game I ever played :)

Luckily, it's winter, and my phone and GBA SP both fit into one jacket pocket :D

Garry K: So, how do I make a Player Graphic on the Xbox?

Dan K: It's easy, and I think it supports, like, 10 of 'em!

Dave C: That is so cool. And think, this game can easily be 8 or even 16K without bank-switching.

-Bry /ducking

Garry K: So, how do I make a Player Graphic on the Xbox?

Dan K: It's easy, and I think it supports, like, 10 of 'em!

Dave C: That is so cool. And think, this game can easily be 8 or even 16K without bank-switching.

-Bry /ducking

:lolblue:

Well, I dunno 'bout GBA, though I do have one, but I'd like to see it ported from Symbian devices to more useful Palm-based devices. I know I could use a real infusion of classic gaming stylee material from the old school kings on my Clie... preferably without having to use the clumsy JavaPE runtimes.

Oh, and Super DragonBall Sony hires PalmOS 4.1-compatible, please. :-)

This sounds like a cool idea though I am not going to buy a cell phone because of this.

I agree. It's a neat idea for a project, but I don't own a cell phone, and have no interest in buying one, especially one suitable for playing games (I would tend to go the cheap route). I do have a GBA for playing games, and if the title ended up over there, I'd buy it for sure.