IGNORED

New ACTI title by some of the old ACTI alumni

Klove

Interesting project, and I'm keeping my eye on it.

As a gamer, however, I feel I have to offer my philosphy on cell phones and video gaming:

First, there's this notice... Nokia's N-Gage system. Apparently, it was a bomb waiting to happen. Already they're offering discounts on the system. Perhaps the best description I can give for what happened to the N-Gage is to quote from the heading of an article in the Jan. '04 issue of GMR Magazine: "N-Gage M-Plodes."

And I think I know why.

First off, you have a system like the N-Gage. It can play games and it's a cell phone. Great and wonderful, but it has a $300 price tag. You can either talk on the phone, or play a game, but not both.

Now, say you have a Game Boy Advance (SP) and a cell phone (any cell will do). A fair-priced cell phone will probably run you anywhere from $80 to $100, for functionality and even a few extra little gizmos. The GBA does what it's designed to do... play games. Combined price: GBASP $100 + Cell phone $100 = $200. And $200 < $300. So not only are you able to talk on the phone and play a game, it's cheaper to go the GBA and cell phone route anyway.

My final point: Game machines are meant to play games. Cell phones are meant to be a phone. And ne'er the twain shall meet.

Off my soap box. :D

I don't think the two are quite that mutually exclusive, but I do think that gaming on cell phones is relegated more towards moments of boredom -- quick games of nothing special while waiting for something or someone. Dedicated portable game machines (i.e. GBA), or at least multifunction machines whose primary purpose is games (i.e. Zodiac) are more inclined to be used for more serious gaming, and since they're separate from any other significant feature (i.e. a phone) then their main purpose, if it's a multifunction device, isn't diluted to the point where it can't decide what it is.

I'd prefer that it was a title on any of the modern consoles. Otherwise, how are those without cell phones going to play it?

My sister has a cell phone and she has to recharge hers every 2 seconds, so I don't get how people can use their cell phones for anything beyond just a phone. It's not like they have a Game Boy Advance SP battery in them.

I still think it's cool that there's a new title coming out. No problems with that.

Maybe if it's successful on cellies, then it could be ported to consoles?

Gotta go with the prevailing wind here. Gaming on a cell-phone isn't the best way to go. I don't think people buy a cell-phone based on what games it will play, but rather what kind of deal they can get. Hence, the phones with more features (games, cameras) don't sell as many.

Plus, it's plainly obvious that games on the GBA are more in-depth and more fun to play.

My sister has a cell phone and she has to recharge hers every 2 seconds, so I don't get how people can use their cell phones for anything beyond just a phone. It's not like they have a Game Boy Advance SP battery in them.

Her cell phone battery is worn out. It needs to be replaced and it should hold a charge much better.

I am happy to see the old school Activision guys working on an Activision project together. Ken, tell them I said Hello!!

David Yancey

Player of Activision games since 1980

Her cell phone battery is worn out. It needs to be replaced and it should hold a charge much better.

I am happy to see the old school Activision guys working on an Activision project together. Ken, tell them I said Hello!!

David Yancey

Player of Activision games since 1980

I was exaggerating to make a point. My sister has a new phone, but it doesn't hold a charge as long as a GBA SP.

I don't think the two are quite that mutually exclusive, but I do think that gaming on cell phones is relegated more towards moments of boredom -- quick games of nothing special while waiting for something or someone.

I think that is exactly correct. People who do play games on their cell phones are more likely to either play whatever games came with it, or whatever ones they can easily find and download for free. They aren't going to go out of their way to find (or pay for) games for it, since it's not a real gaming machine in the first place - a Tetris knock-off or game of solitaire will do for most people when they're just waiting in line somewhere. If you're a gamer, you'd probably buy a GBA for portable time-killing anyway, so cell-phone games would be pointless.

(I never saw the appeal of the N-Gage prior to its release, and still don't. Looks like I'm in the majority. :roll: )

Boy, they're pushing the hell out of it at my local Gamestop, though.... at the rate they're going, next month if they can get you to buy one they'll throw in every game ever made for the thing.... all 6  :roll:

That's probably because by next month they'll go on clearance. $50 a console, and $10 a game. Just like when the Jaguar was on its way out the front doors (of course, one of those jumped into my capable hands. :D )

Companies are making millions on RING TONES. Ring tones aren't even games and they aren't even MP3s but people are paying money for them.

Cell phones are the ultimate DRM (i.e. closed system) machines. It's not as easy to get stuff installed on them as, say, on a PDA that can sync to your PC. So it's easy to force people to pay for content like this.

Plus, the demographic is for CASUAL gamers, gamers who wouldn't buy a GBA but happen to have cell phones.

It was a similar idea behind the Nuon system. Bring games in through the back door through a piece of consumer electronics that already has market penetration.

So I can see the potential business model.

I see that potential business model fail every time. It will continue to fail because the kind of person who would seek out and purchase a game, as opposed to playing whatever is free on their phones, will play it on a dedicated game system every single time.

The people who insist that we will one day pay for cell games are like the people who insist that soccer will catch on in America. It won't. Both have always failed here because US sports fans like to use their hands and US video gamers dont waste their time on cell phones and they never will.

Ringtones are selling on cell phones because they actually, you know, have something to do with the operation of a phone.

I would, if I lived in the US, DEFINITELY NOT be making a purchase. Sorry. Cell phones are just that, PHONES, not gaming machines.

It's great to know that those three guys (and Activision) are trying to breach the envelope here, but so far, no one else has been able to do it...maybe they are the special Genies in the lamp?

A curious quick question for those who do play games on phones: during play, what happens when someone calls you? does the game pause or does it block incoming calls?