IGNORED

Fire Fighter REALLY IS that bad.

StanJr

I mean this thing REALLY is unplayable. Sure I've heard what everyone has said about it being terrible, but I never thought it could be THAT bad. Well, it is. There is NO fun to be had with this piece of poo. Looks good in the collection next to all the other IMAGIC games (you know, the GOOD ONES), but beyond that, ICK. Glad I only paid $1 for it.

RUN.

Hmm, i kinda like this game. It might be a little more interesting if the people jumped out of windows when the flames got to them - if it had an alternating second level that played like Kaboom, and you had to catch the falling people on one of those firemen's net thingies. :lolblue:

No, seriously though, I don't think that this game is all that bad. In fact, I think I feel just inspired enough to go it a session.

Maybe a cool hack for this would be for the timer to be reversed so that you have to save the man before he dies within the flames. Also, I think that it would be more interesting if the water supply was more limited - making the player rely more on ladder saves while flames are still rising.

Sorry. I go bla bla bla. :-D

I like fire fighter.  It just takes a minute or two to learn the controls.  Good game.

Tempest

It takes a minute or two to beat the game. :P :P :D

Yup. Level 9 and it took all of 53 seconds to save the guy. :roll: No wonder I never played this one longer than to find out if the cart worked or not!

I think the screaming guy is one of the funniest animated sprites on the Atari.  It's like, I wanna let him fry for being such a wussy and not jumping out of the window when he was on the bottom floor.  DUMB WUSSY BOY!!!  AAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAh!  WHAT A MORON-FREAK-DWEEBIE!

Oops.  I forgot the lithium this morning.

Heh. I just made that my new avatar. :D

I always liked this game.  Of course, my favorite game is Journey Escape, so maybe my opinion isn't the most valuable ;)

LOL! sorry, that little quote made me chuckle. Had to reply on that.

Yea, fumbled around with this game too. Short attention span here, I did more yelling than saving anyone. Havn't played it since that one time.

I thouroughly enjoy the game, myself, although I  agree more elements could be added to the game to make it more playable.

Exactly, they SHOULD have included features like difficulty, fun, and playability. The game would have been MUCH better. Where is the fun in a game I can win in under a minute? At least with a game like Airlock it takes a few plays to master and you can actually LOSE. There is no way to lose in Fire Fighter, unless maybe you go to sleep while playing it (totally possible) or forget that you are playing a game and go make a sandwich (also possible). ugh. this thing is just miserable.

I'd ALMOST rather play Bugs. ;) :)

I thouroughly enjoy the game, myself, although I  agree more elements could be added to the game to make it more playable.

Exactly, they SHOULD have included features like difficulty, fun, and playability.

Well, I agree on the difficulty issue -- they could have made it get progressively harder -- but I think the game itself is fun, and once you get the controls down (really, t took me all of 10 seconds to learn it) playability is not an issue.

Well, I agree on the difficulty issue -- they could have made it get progressively harder -- but I think the game itself is fun, and once you get the controls down (really, t took me all of 10 seconds to learn it) playability is not an issue.

Oh, I'm not saying its TOO hard to play, I'm saying there is no REASON to play. You jump off the engine, spray the small handful of fires, which NEVER flare back up, jump on the engine, extend the ladder, climb up the ladder, wait for guy. Repeat until you beat your brains in with the joystick base. SNORE.

In the old days Video Games magazine had an interview with Dennis Koble and the president of Imagic. The Imagic president said that it was his idea to make Fire Fighter beacuse he liked fire trucks and wanted to see one in a game. He also took credit for making the ship in Cosmic Ark a saucer.

I must say I quite like Fire Fighter. It is rather easy though.

I imagine this was the 2600 equivalent of the great graphics, poorly tuned gameplay titles we see a lot of today.

And, like them, it passes a few minutes quite happily - but no more :D

Exactly, they SHOULD have included features like difficulty, fun, and playability. The game would have been MUCH better. Where is the fun in a game I can win in under a minute?

Here are a few methods to create a higher difficulty while playing Fire Fighter:

1) Play the game with the controller upside-down.

2) Use your feet to control the joystick.

3) Drink a couple of buds and lay on the couch with your head over the side so that you are viewing the TV upside-down. You'll be surprised how high the level of difficulty can be raised by doing just this.

4) Turn down the contrast on your television so that you can only see the few major sprite characters. It's like playing the game in the night!

5) When it is your turn to play, close your eyes and have your friend tell give you directions and guide you while playing the game. If you have four or more people, this can make for great team competitions.

6) If the game is still too easy, try playing the game using only your head and face to move the controller!

I would recommend you close the curtains before you try any of these methods. Not only will people think you are a little loco, it'll only add fuel to fire the debate that all Atari junkies are morons. :-)

When I was younger (and had friends), we used to make up new ways to play our older games when we were too poor to buy new ones. It's funny, but some of the lamest games can become kind of fun if you conjure up some odd way to play it differently.

Oh, and just for my own rep. I have only played a game using my face, once or twice... okay, maybe three times. But now we are all a bit older, we have beer to blame for our odd behaviors. Just drink up, and you won't feel so silly doing it.

kbye.