IGNORED

H.E.R.O. (I did it!)

StanJr

Ok the last, I promise, time I toot my own horn, here, but I'm on a roll!

I've loved HERO since I was a wee tot, and tonight I FINALLY earned the !!!!!!

After you learn and get good at levels 19 & 20 it gets easier, but more repetitive. What a wonderful game. :) :) :) :) :)

post-409-1074413354_thumb.jpg

cheat?  There's a cheat?

No, I didn't cheat, I sat there on my milk crate for about an hour and half playing this beauty on my old six switch and 1986 TV.  Just like the old days... :)  :)  :)

Yeah if you fry the system until you get just the miner and the spider on the screen and let the power drain out you get 255+ guys. You can tell when the cheat is used though. I can tell that you spent some hard time playing this game.

It is also one of my favorites, and my best score is 159,900 on level 18. I have seen all of the levels and when they start repeating themselves with the cheat.

post-3803-1074414148_thumb.jpg

thanks mojo, Spidey is there to keep me honest! :D

fedechab, I play pretty exclusively with the TAC-2 controller these days. I used to use Gemstiks, but since I made the move to TAC-2 I can't seem to use any other sticks! :) :)

And yeah, this is one of the best VCS games hands down

Great job, I almost got that far as well. About 150,000 is my best....

Modern Pad controllers vs. Old 80's Joysticks:

Nothing beats the regular Atari joystick or the Jemstick. I am even better when I use the slik stik by Suncom, but today (being much older) its a tad too small and they tend to break easily. IMO. The Wico bat and Tac-scan sticks are pretty good too.

I tried using a "pad" controller like Sega's instead of a joystick and have a miserable time. Not only that but you lose quite a bit of your reflexes too. I cannot dodge any enemies with a pad-like controller at all in Megamania. Its like going from Indoor Turf to muddy snowy grass in football.

Modern Pad controllers vs. Old 80's Joysticks:

Nothing beats the regular Atari joystick or the Jemstick. I am even better when I use the slik stik by Suncom, but today (being much older) its a tad too small and they tend to break easily. IMO. The Wico bat and Tac-scan sticks are pretty good too.

I tried using a "pad" controller like Sega's instead of a joystick and have a miserable time. Not only that but you lose quite a bit of your reflexes too. I cannot dodge any enemies with a pad-like controller at all in Megamania. Its like going from Indoor Turf to muddy snowy grass in football.

Its all opinion... I use a nes pad on this game and I can get over 150,000. It is all what you prefer :ponder:

Congrats, Stan!

Getting the six !'s in H.E.R.O. was absolutely the most exciting conquest in my videogaming experience. I did it about 2 years ago, and the warm glow of satisfaction still hasn't warn off.

It's a real toughie, but damn is it a fun game! I would imagine very, very few have reached the ultimate summit. Great, great work!

Ben

So I finally got my copy of this one today - Pretty label too (Thanks to Spendtoomuchonatari)! Anyways, I doubt that I'll be getting the !!!!!! very soon, but at least now I'm in the game. :-)

BTW, can anyone really play the game like the attract screen shows? I mean, he's running around haphazardly and getting the most bonus points I think are possible. If anyone can play like this, I'd love to watch 'em play through a game... kinda like that video that was up a while back of a guy who was playing Frostbite on pure instinct. That was neat!

k

So I finally got my copy of this one today - Pretty label too (Thanks to Spendtoomuchonatari)!  Anyways, I doubt that I'll be getting the !!!!!! very soon, but at least now I'm in the game.  :-)  

BTW, can anyone really play the game like the attract screen shows?  I mean, he's running around haphazardly and getting the most bonus points I think are possible.  If anyone can play like this, I'd love to watch 'em play through a game...  kinda like that video that was up a while back of a guy who was playing Frostbite on pure instinct.  That was neat!  

k

No, you can't play the game like the "attract" mode. Unless you put the cheat in (described above) and also described on the hero page on AA.

The cheat will give you over 255 lives so you can practice the harder levels.