IGNORED

A question about upgrading OS to Geneva or MiNT, etc.

Gunstar

First, I'd like to know if it matters which version of TOS roms I have installed if i'm going to upgrade to GENEVA or MiNT, etc. Do these OS's use any part of the existing TOS roms or do they completely bypass them, making a computer with say version 1.2 (TOS)work just as well as one with rainbow 1.4 when using one of these multitasking OS's? Or is there still an advantage of having a newer TOS if i'm going to use GENEVA or MiNT?

First, I'd like to know if it matters which version of TOS roms I have installed if i'm going to upgrade to GENEVA or MiNT, etc. Do these OS's use any part of the existing TOS roms or do they completely bypass them, making a computer with say version 1.2 (TOS)work just as well as one with rainbow 1.4 when using one of these multitasking OS's? Or is there still an advantage of having a newer TOS if i'm going to use GENEVA or MiNT?

GENEVA is only multitasking AES, nothing more. But it is possible to use it together with MiNT

MiNT is multitasking kernel and replace almost all underlying TOS. It use only little parts of TOS, so it is not necessary to upgrade TOS. But MiNT hasn't VDI and AES. If you want GEM environment you have to use some VDI (NVDI or fVDI) and AES (N.AES, XaAES).