IGNORED

CDROM and Mega Ste

twbrown

welp i finally got my cdrom drive (apple cd300 external) and decided to hook it up..I also got metados (or betados ;P) on the hd..well it goes thru boot up and cbhd see's it but thinks maybe its a megadrive..the question is after the boot process should i see a cdrom icon for the drive? or do i have to do something else to get it to show on desktop (ie add device) any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a FAQ on the subject please let me know

I also got it hooked up with a link 97..does it require software drivers? i didn't get any when i got the link.

Thanks

ok tried a bit more but still not getting cdrom .. i loadup desktop..then try add device..all i get is 2 more hd icons (think its cbhd adding them for magic/mint use) i open and they are duplicates of my C: and D: drives. tried adding icon (cdrom) but since no target nada happens... what reader do i need to read the .hyp docs? bah i hate being such a n00b but still new to the Atari world :)

Well the HD is internal and the CDROM is external hooked up to the system via link 97 and dma cable..HD is set at 0 and cdrom at 3 (id's) as far as config goes nothing on system but cbhd and the file from where you make the hd bootable, not putting anything else on it till i have CD functioning (its also got a termanation block on the centronics scsi out on the CDROM case) humm I wonder if there is some sort of config file that needs to be edited (like i said i'm a complete n00b) one thing i did see is when ahdi boots it shows the hd but says the device 3 not responding..cbhd sees it but list it as a megafile???..thats about all the info i got

also looked at web page you linked..thanks but if i tried to do anything like that all I would have is a very nice Atari doorstop :P

no way do I have the tallent to do such modifacations (unless thers a nice Atarian I can send my HD controller to to do the mod) that option is out

Did you install the cd-rom drive with cd-tool (metados) or any other driver?

Cd-tool (for example) searches the acsi/scsi bus for cd-rom drives and sets up the config.sys file. In this process you can specify the drive letter. I think the icon will be created by cd-tool as well. You have no chance to use a cd-rom drive without a proper software-setup.

ok thanks for the info :) i will try fiddling with it this weekend..It would probably help if i could open the .hyp docs..but no idea what reader i need for those..also need to get a PD text editor but i think i may have one on some Atari ST Format disk i have just need to look