IGNORED

TI/99- Tunnels of Doom

Adrian M

Over the weekend, I spoke to a longtime friend of mine who I've known since grade school. This conversation reminded me of the summers we spent playing NES and TI/99 games over his house. Now, I've never owned a TI computer, but he did and I vaguely remember playing a game by the name of TUNNELS OF DOOM...sort of an Ultima clone for that particular computer.

I do remember that the game used BOTH a cartridge AND a cassette tape. While inconvenient, we were blown away by the pseudo-3D corridors and the intense overhead turn-based battles. To put it mildly, it was unlike anything we had ever played before (this was back in 1985). Does anyone remember Tunnels of Doom and are there any emulators out there CAPABLE of doing justice to this game?

i have this game as well, but my tape is messed up and i couldnt get it to play right

here is an EMU for the TI http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99/emulate.htm

might be worth a look, i know a friend of mine was playing Car Wars on this emu, but i havent looked at the whole site, and im not sure where the ROMs are

i have this game as well, but my tape is messed up and i couldnt get it to play right

here is an EMU for the TI http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99/emulate.htm

might be worth a look, i know a friend of mine was playing Car Wars on this emu, but i havent looked at the whole site, and im not sure where the ROMs are

I'll check into it. I wasn't sure if the emu could handle the cassette/cart tandem combo setup that 'Tunnels of Doom' uses. Thank you.

Tunnels of Doom ROCKED. One of my all time favorites. The cassette/disk method was so you could load up extra missions. I've got a bunch on floppy, with names like "Wild Adventures In K-Mart". The best thing to do is clear your schedule for the day, and play the longest missions. Sweeeeet. My only problem with the game was that when you make it to the last level and find the touchstone, getting back to the surface is a pain. Every few steps, more monsters jump out of the woodwork, even though you've cleared all those hallways before. Other than that, it's solid gaming goodness.

So the tape is a needed item then to play Tunnels of Doom? I only ask because I have seen the cart loose several times locally in my area but never with the tape. I knew it had a tape that went with it which is why I passed it up. But now that I know the tape is an integral part of the game...i will have to keep passing them up.

Besides...I don't have a tape player for my TI/99. Are there any real reasons besides Tunnels of Doom to have to get one?

:?

Maybe not in this day and age. I imagine that it's next to impossible to find cassette programs anymore. Only people who have a lot of cassette programs are people like me, long time TI users.

I've heard of some web sites that have TI programs uploaded on it. I think they're formatted for emulators, but you might be able to use software to turn them into audio files to load into a real TI with a cassette cable.

So the tape is a needed item then to play Tunnels of Doom? I only ask because I have seen the cart loose several times locally in my area but never with the tape. I knew it had a tape that went with it which is why I passed it up. But now that I know the tape is an integral part of the game...i will have to keep passing them up.

Besides...I don't have a tape player for my TI/99. Are there any real reasons besides Tunnels of Doom to have to get one?

:?

You need a tape or floppy.

All my ToD quests are on floppies.

So's my ToD quest editor.

Let me generate monsters(sprites AND stats), scenarios, items, everything.

Alas, the disk is dead. :(

I used to order a bunch of public domain software from a company called Tigercub Software, and I have some floppies with ToD game scenarios on them, but I never got around to getting the editor. The guy running it was 77, and he suddenly passed away. That was the only source I knew of to find the editor. Along with cart dumps of a bunch of rare games.