IGNORED

Battleshpere Gold on ebay Editorial

LamontCranston

Ok, I just saw Battlesphere Gold on ebay again. One of the many Jag games I still don't have. Most of the time when I've seen it out on ebay, I usually see it hold at around $150 maybe $200 if there are enough bids and it's out there long enough. And I try not to bad mouth people selling things on ebay while their item is out there. But this one just got to me...I mean $300 and $450 buy it now for BSG! What the hell! :x ? That is soo unreasonable. It especialy should be apparent to the person selling it that it's a bad deal cause it's been out there for about a week with no bids! Never have I seen Battlesphere on ebay go so long without any bids! The Battlsphere fanatics won't even touch it, even they who'll do antything for a copy won't touch that auction! That's how ridiculous it is! And it is ridiculous! If the seller says that he's only selling at the price he paid for because he doesn't want to lose any money, then he really should not have pounced on that deal! Ya have to haggle, people! I could buy a Jag prototype for less that that. I mean JVMs don't even go for that much individually! And for those people who do pay that much for Battlesphere second hand, shame on you! Wake up these guys got you eating out their hand don't let them bully you around like that. Some people swoon over this game like it's crystal meth hand made by God. Chill out! This Battlesphere craze is getting out of control. You can get a game for the PS2 or XBOX that's 10 times more powerful, has more game play, and ultimately less costly! Don't put everything but the kitchen sink into one game! I'm not saying don't get Battlesphere I'm just saying some of people out there are really going out of control with this. I think there are people who agree with me. Both the people who sell Battlshpere or have sold Battlesphere at a reasonable price and those who buy it at a reasonable price.

It bothers me that people see Battlesphere as an investment. They completely forget that it's a video game. I'd love to get a copy, but I couldn't scrape up enough money to buy one online. The game's traded like a commodity, instead of what it is. It's a real disappointment for those who just want to play it.

Ok, I just saw Battlesphere Gold on ebay again. One of the many Jag games I still don't have. Most of the time when I've seen it out on ebay, I usually see it hold at around $150 maybe $200 if there are enough bids and it's out there long enough. And I try not to bad mouth people selling things on ebay while their item is out there. But this one just got to me...I mean $300 and $450 buy it now for BSG! What the hell! :x ? That is soo unreasonable. It especialy should be apparent to the person selling it that it's a bad deal cause it's been out there for about a week with no bids! Never have I seen Battlesphere on ebay go so long without any bids! The Battlsphere fanatics won't even touch it, even      they who'll do antything for a copy won't touch that auction! That's how ridiculous it is! And it is ridiculous! If the seller says that he's only selling at the price he paid for because he doesn't want to lose any money, then he really should not have pounced on that deal! Ya have to haggle, people! I could buy a Jag prototype for less that that. I mean JVMs don't even go for that much individually! And for those people who do pay that much for Battlesphere second hand, shame on you! Wake up these guys got you eating out their hand don't let them bully you around like that. Some people swoon over this game like it's crystal meth hand made by God. Chill out! This Battlesphere craze is getting out of control. You can get a game for the PS2 or XBOX that's 10 times more powerful, has more game play, and ultimately less costly! Don't put everything but the kitchen sink into one game! I'm not saying don't get Battlesphere I'm just saying some of people out there are really going out of control with this. I think there are people who agree with me. Both the people who sell Battlshpere or have sold Battlesphere at a reasonable price and those who buy it at a reasonable price.

I must say I'm surprised you're so upset over this auction. If you feel the price is too high don't bid. I see auctions everyday that I feel are overpriced, but I don't post about them here. The only advice I could give you is to just be patient and wait for the right opportunity to snag this game. I think no matter what you're going to pay in the $200+ range for this game. If you're not willing to pay it, chances are you'll never own it. It's unfortunate, but it's just the market. Supply and demand.....

One other quick comment, the last JVM I sold went for $400. :)

Jason

Its been discussed before in numerous threads here.

Basically, as long as someone is willing to pay $250 or $300 for BSG, they will continue to fetch that much. Its the old "supply & demand" issue. What guys, like the one you describe, are doing isn't illegal or wrong; they are taking advantage of a situation and profiteering on something they know others want. Much like land... some people buy up land in hopes that a strip mall or a Walmart will one day make them rich, rich rich.

As I said, what the seller is doing isn't illegal no matter how each of us might detest it. Personally, I don't like seeing BSG sell on eBay like it has and I don't really understand why anyone would pay more for one game than they would the entire system, a CD add-on, and quite a few excellent games. I would almost bet that a lot of people pay the high dollars for BSG just because its rare and they can join the elite few who can say "I own it!!". But to each their own and if someone believes that BSG is worth $300 and has the $$$ floating around in their PayPal account, they will buy it and they are entitled to do so.

I think the only things that might lower the price of BSG:

A) People just say NO to high prices. If all the sellers find that they can't get $250 or $300 for their copy, the price will fall. Or possibly..... the supply will dry up totally for awhile as the profiteers won't list them and then the asking price will rise even higher than before when BSG begins to reappear on eBay in a few months as auctions will say "Most rare game ever.. hasn't appeared on eBay in months".

B) Someone with some capital talk to Scatologic and see about cutting a deal to legally release BSG and make it available again. Don't know if anyone has tried but it would be interesting to see. After all, Scatologic isn't benefiting at all by BSG selling for $450 on eBay and neither are the charities they supported when they released it. If the right offer was made and a quality job was done, perhaps BSG could become available again and the price would fall to a affordable level. Can't believe that Scatologic wouldn't prefer people to enjoy their creativity and hard work rather than the game becoming nothing more than a source of income for those looking for a quick dollar.

Anyhoot, just my opinions. Nothing I can really do to change the laws of supply & demand.

Mendon

The demand side of Battlesphere is artificially pumped up by people who own 4 or more copies of the game that just sit on their shelf. This is the only game in the entire video game market that I see this behavior with.

Supply and Demand theory works here, but it doesn't work in the conventional sense, and it should always be pointed out that there are a few who are keeping many from playing this game, it's certainly not the money that keeps me from playing. It's not just an expensive game, heck Neo Geo games are way more expensive but also much more easily attainable, but people actually hoard Battlsphere. Anyone who thinks they have something unique because they have a $150 game needs to get over themselves, thats an average at best game cost for me lately, I'm not bragging, but seriously, there are people out there that laugh at this Battlesphere hoarding behavior to artificially pump up value.

Where do you buy alpines at? I have never seen a 2MB Alpine go for much less than $250 (US). I've seen a 4MB go for around $400 or so which seemed like a good deal.

But if I can get 3 Alpines (2 2MB ones and 1 4MB one) for $450, let me know!

$450 is a lot of money. Even at current exhange rates.

In fact you could get 3 Alpines for that, one of them 4MB :roll:

Stone

This time last year Battlesphere Gold was selling for $200( average). Now the price has jumped up to $300 because more and more Jaguar collectors are being born. This price is only going to go up. If you want BSG your going to have to shell out the big bucks or pay even more later.

Soon BSG will be like prototypes, showing up on ebay maybe once or twice a year.

Eventually it'll end up on a cart (like the new Aircars) and/or distributed all over the place via ROM. Then you could play it on a Jag flashcart.

No one should have to pay more than $100 to play a friggin game. That's ridiculous.  :thumbsdown:

No one should have to pay $1200 for a new in box Snake Eyes figure but, they do. When you think about it Jaguar rarities are much much cheaper to collect than a lot of other hobbies.

I have a first-run copy of The Original Battlesphere. I haven't played it in a long time. It's complete, as good as new.

I'd like to get $500 for it. :P I doubt anyone would pay that, yet, so I keep it.

But if anyone's interested... :D ... let me know. Maybe I'll include shipping for free!

Obviously the reason it fetches the prices it does is because it's not made any more, is not available anywhere else and is a finite resource. The only reason it's not going for even more is probably because the number of people who own and use a Jaguar these days is probably incredibly small.

And as far as the alleged donation to charity goes, IMO, that was never verified or confirmed. Part of the whole uber-secret/condescending 4Play/Scato behavior.

Where do you buy alpines at?   I have never seen a 2MB Alpine go for much less than $250 (US).  I've seen a 4MB go for around $400 or so which seemed like a good deal.

But if I can get 3 Alpines (2 2MB ones and 1 4MB one) for $450, let me know!

Let's just say I've been very lucky with regards the prices.

However, it's not all about the hoarding; one of them only arrived today, and it's going straight back out at less than the original price I paid, to a most deserving cause indeed :)

The other two are staying mine for the moment, purely for convenience's sake...then again, collar me at a JagFest and you'll find me most reasonable with regards borrowing one to test stuff :)

It does seem sad to me that so much dev hardware never makes it into the hands of people who'll use it, so by snapping up all these awesome deals when they arise it's nice to be able to gradually get them out to those who'll make good use of them :)

Stone

I must say I'm surprised you're so upset over this auction. If you feel the price is too high don't bid. I see auctions everyday that I feel are overpriced, but I don't post about them here. The only advice I could give you is to just be patient and wait for the right opportunity to snag this game. I think no matter what you're going to pay in the $200+ range for this game. If you're not willing to pay it, chances are you'll never own it. It's unfortunate, but it's just the market. Supply and demand.....  

One other quick comment, the last JVM I sold went for $400.  

Well I'm gonna respond this one time cause I don't have time for a debate I have exams to study for and I don't wanna make any enemies on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. So in response I never said I was going to bid on it. And I know this isn't the only thing to have been overpriced on ebay I'm just saying this one particular item has been getting out of hand price wise on and off ebay this one on ebay is just a perfect example is all. I'm just mean that some of you out there who live for this game have to wake up and realize that half a grand of cash can spent much more wisley. I'm a Jag collector myself and there have been some things I've spent more than I should have I admit it, but this just goes too far. And by the way I'm kinda suprised you were able to sell one JVM for $400, I know someone who offered $500 for two JVMs and a copy of Ultra Vortek plus two head sets! And like I said before this is my last comment on this discussion, I don't have the time to use up debating this, I've said what I wanted to say, and I don't want to start an argument.

Eventually it'll end up on a cart (like the new Aircars) and/or distributed all over the place via ROM. Then you could play it on a Jag flashcart.

No one should have to pay more than $100 to play a friggin game. That's ridiculous.  :thumbsdown:

BS will never end up as a distributable ROM as long as Doug and Scott live and breathe. They would gladly hire and attorney and sue anyone who does something like that. It's very illegal.

Jason

One other quick comment, the last JVM I sold went for $400.  

Well I'm gonna respond this one time cause I don't have time for a debate I have exams to study for and I don't wanna make any enemies on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. So in response I never said I was going to bid on it. And I know this isn't the only thing to have been overpriced on ebay I'm just saying this one particular item has been getting out of hand price wise on and off ebay this one on ebay is just a perfect example is all. I'm just mean that some of you out there who live for this game have to wake up and realize that half a grand of cash can spent much more wisley. I'm a Jag collector myself and there have been some things I've spent more than I should have I admit it, but this just goes too far. And by the way I'm kinda suprised you were able to sell one JVM for $400, I know someone who offered $500 for two JVMs and a copy of Ultra Vortek plus two head sets! And like I said before this is my last comment on this discussion, I don't have the time to use up debating this, I've said what I wanted to say, and I don't want to start an argument.

I certainly wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just pointing out the obvious. If you don't want to pay the price for the game then don't buy it. That's all I was saying. Whether or not I, or anyone else, thinks it's overpriced is irrelevant, if it's selling for that then that is what it is worth.

I'm not surprised they sold for $400, that has been the going rate on JVM's for some time. Possibly because of the recent "depletion" in serious Jaguar collectors has lessened the demand for that item? There is also rumors of many of these turning up, but I haven't seen anything to prove that....

In my opinion, if someone can get a ROM of battlesphere, more power to them. If it were easier to come by, I'm sure that same person would buy the actual legal copy of the game. But since it's not, and they want to be able to enjoy the game, and at least get to play it, I say don't worry about the ROM issue. If someone would like to make this game readily available at a reasonable price of say, $60, $70 or even $100, then that is one thing. But since this is not the scenario, I think that the ROM thing is just going to keep happening. So until something is done about availability, then I don't think that anyone should complain about ROMs floating about.

In my opinion, if someone can get a ROM of battlesphere, more power to them.  If it were easier to come by, I'm sure that same person would buy the actual legal copy of the game.  But since it's not, and they want to be able to enjoy the game, and at least get to play it, I say don't worry about the ROM issue.  If someone would like to make this game readily available at a reasonable price of say, $60, $70 or even $100, then that is one thing.  But since this is not the scenario, I think that the ROM thing is just going to keep happening.  So until something is done about availability, then I don't think that anyone should complain about ROMs floating about.

This is nonsense.

WANTING is NOT the same as NEEDING.

How about this scenario?

I want a car, but i can't afford it, so i steal YOURS.

How's that?

Is that OK?

Cause not everybody can afford a car, so people are just going to have to keep on stealing them i guess.

Is that more power to them?

Its just a GAME.

NOBODY HAS to have a copy of it to survive.

I don't have a copy of it.

I've played it, at some length, and whilst i don't particularly like it, i can see its technical merits. I don't think its worth those sorts of prices.

So, guess what.

I'm not buying it.

Wow what a concept!

Or, hey i REALLY want a Ferrari.

But wow, i can't afford it.

So...

I'm driving a different, more practical car.

Wow what a concept, I'm not stealing.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject, because I don't want to keep an argument going. Your analogy of the subject was a very poor outlook on how things are. If I want a car and can't afford one, and go and steal yours, then you don't have a car, hence many headaches for you. If someone wants battlesphere, and downloads the ROM, this takes nothing from anyone except maybe the greedy ebay sellers. The carts the scatologic/4play have are always going to sell out. They are not losing anything, and you are not losing anything(unless you're the greedy ebay seller). Now I don't agree with the fact that someone owning a ROM ignores all copyrights on the game, but that is not the subject up for discussion. It's that the game is hard to come by. Given that I've said all I will say on the subject, have fun with it ;).

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject, because I don't want to keep an argument going.  Your analogy of the subject was a very poor outlook on how things are.  If I want a car and can't afford one, and go and steal yours, then you don't have a car, hence many headaches for you.  If someone wants battlesphere, and downloads the ROM, this takes nothing from anyone except maybe the greedy ebay sellers.  The carts the scatologic/4play have are always going to sell out.  They are not losing anything, and you are not losing anything(unless you're the greedy ebay seller).  Now I don't agree with the fact that someone owning a ROM ignores all copyrights on the game, but that is not the subject up for discussion.  It's that the game is hard to come by.  Given that I've said all I will say on the subject, have fun with it ;).

Your logic is flawed. If you distribute a ROM, first and foremost it is ILLEGAL. Does everyone understand that on here? Secondly it "devalues" the game for those people that are fortunate enough to own a copy.

Personally I think AtariOwl's analogy was quite good and right on. Nicely said AO.

Jason

That's unfortunate if that statement is true. And you seem proud of it for some reason. :?

Since Thunderbird and/or Scott LeGrand claimed it was floating out there, maybe they're proud of that? :roll:

Well, if they kept putting smilies and wink emoticons in their posts every time they'd mention it, I'd start to wonder.