IGNORED

Quick Question: Cybermorph (Jaguar) variations

Adrian M

I've seen this somewhere before, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I just bought and received a BRAND NEW, factory sealed copy of Cybermorph in the retail box.

I know there's a one and two meg version of the game...I think the 2 meg is the original pack-in game, but I'm not sure. I also heard that there's gray and black cartridge casings. Which one do I have and how can you easily tell?

If I remember correctly, all boxed versions of Cybermorph were the 1 meg version. Pack-in versions were available in 1 and 2 meg versions. The 2 meg version had an animated title screen, had a 1993 copyright, and Skylar said a few more phrases. The 1 meg version had a static title screen, and a 1994 copyright. Hope this helped some.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: mshaver76 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

I see that AtariAge doesn't have a scan of this version yet. It looks like I need to get the scanner warmed up now.
[/url]

Cool! Do you have any way to take screenshots? It'd be nice to get a few from this version, especially the title screen.

..Al

I just happened to be in a videogame store earlier today that has some classic stuff, although their emphasis is on modern games (as it should be if they want to be profitable). Anyway, I saw they had a stack of Cybermorph carts, which I didn't think anything of at first. Then as I made a circuit around the store again I thought, "Hey! I need a 2MB Cybermorph cartridge!" So I asked one of the clerks to pull out the stack of Cybermorph carts and went through them. To my delight there were two carts with a 1993 copyright.

So I'm now the proud owner of a 1993 2MB Cybermorph cart. I've put a cart scan online, as well as some screenshots. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the incredibly short animation at the beginning of the game as some ships fly in front of a planet and then morph into the Cybermorph logo. I didn't play the game with sound, so I didn't hear whatever additional phrases the computer might have.

There's still one Cybermorph 2MB cart if someone needs it. Stupidly, I didn't think to buy it when I was in the store and it was only (only?) $2.99. If someone needs one I can go back there and pick it up.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Atari-Jess:

hmm is there a way to tell if its the 1 or 2 meg version on the cart itself?

cause i need to get a copy and i want to make sure its the 2meg

I don't even have Cybermorph, so I don't know, sorry.

EDIT: Look above. Albert posted about checking the copyrights on the cartridges themselves.

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

What's the animated title screen? Is this where the planets morph into the word "Cybermorph"?

Probably. Like I said, I don't even have the game, but I did look up old issues of Jaguar Explorer Online and found information of the two Cybermorphs in Volume 2, Issue 2. It mentions that the 1 MB version has no animation while the 2 MB version has an animation sequence for the title screen and endgame.

Any idea what new phrases Skylar says?

Skylar says the following in the 1 MB Cybermorph:

• Where did YOU learn to fly?

• Portal now open.

• Pod in trouble.

• Good luck.

• Good work.

• Well done.

• Ouch.

The 2 MB version says all of the above plus the following:

• Great shot.

• Avoid the ground.

• Only one more.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: mshaver76 ]

quote:

Originally posted by mshaver76:

The 2 meg version had an animated title screen, had a 1993 copyright, and Skylar said a few more phrases.

What's the animated title screen? Is this where the planets morph into the word "Cybermorph"?

Any idea what new phrases Skylar says?

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

If they still have that 2 MB version of Cybermorph in the store, I'll gladly pay you the $2.99 (plus shipping) for it!

I'll go back and see if they still have it. I'm sure they will, it's not like there's a run on Cybermorph carts. Or anything Jaguar, for that matter.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

Argh, why did you have to mention that. I'm so sick of it. Can you tell I've been playing Cybermorph recently.

You keep hitting the mountains, huh? Well then, I only have one question.

Where did YOU learn to fly?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by mshaver76:

Well, now that you have the 2 MB version, maybe it'll alternate with "Avoid the ground."

It does, but then you just have two phrases that get annoying fast. I guess it's better than just one though.

--Zero

Hmm, maybe they should've added some more phrases instead of having the extra title screen animation. You know, something along these lines.

"That's okay. I'm sure we didn't need that wing anyway."

"What part of 'Avoid the ground' don't you understand?"

"Well, you didn't listen when I said, 'Avoid the ground' and 'Where did you learn to fly?', how about 'CUT IT OUT!!'?"

"All I know is that if this keeps up, somebody's going to be collecting pods on foot!"

"Look, I know I'm a highly advanced aircraft that can transform into many different shapes as needed. However, one of the shapes I can't do is bumper cars!"

"Uh huh. Let me guess. You were flying around minding your own business, when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, this huge mountain appeared. Am I close?"