IGNORED

Another MAME newbie

sigma

I'm just starting using MAME (MAME32 specifically) and I two questions.

1. Can I play light gun games with the mouse/keyboard, or do I have to have a special peripheral?

2. Where is a good place to find Cabinet/Marquee images? Can I just go to klov and save images in a special format?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know the minimum requirements for Mame32? I have an extra older pc that I would love to use in a Mame cabinent....

It all depends on what games you play in MAME. If you're just playing Moon Patrol and Berzerk, you can manage with a pretty slow computer ( < 300MHz should still manage). If you're playing Cruisin' USA and Killer Instinct, you'll need a computer with a lot more computrons.

If it's any indication, I'm running a 400MHz machine, and the Mortal Kombat games are only really playable if I turn off sound, and NeoGeo games still do some frame skipping. If I were to make a MAME cabinet, I'd probably try to make sure that the computer powering it was in the 800MHz-1GHz range, just to be safe.

--Zero

• 3 weeks later...
I'm also a MAME newbie and I was wondering what's the difference between MAME and MAME32?

I'm not sure which to download.

I'm in the mood for playing some arcade classics on my computer.

MAME is a command-line version. MAME 32 has a GUI. I'd suggeste Downloading MAME, and then get the EasyMAME front end.

Got it all downloaded.

Just gotta find the ROMs of games I want to play, which I hear is no easy task... :ponder:

The easiest way is to contact an "official" rom burner from this site:

http://www.us-lazarus.com/

and send them blank media. They will burn a complete set for free for you. Keep in mind that many of them now only want to do DVDs because of the amount of ROMs there are now. I did this a while ago and it went very smooth.

I still haven't figured MAME out being the moron I am.

I won't have time to figure it out today but hopefully I can get it to work tmw.

I used the command prompt and despite the fact that I had the ROM files, they kept showing up as missing on the command prompt.

Yeah, Mame 32 is the way to go. Pretty much just run the Mame32.exe, open the directories link and set the rom path to the rom folder in your mame32 directory, (after you put all the roms inside the folder) then your games will all be listed after you run "audit games". You should have a pretty good list of games Kepone...since a "little bird" pointed you to the best collection on the web :D

PS:About 1 out of 40 roms will be incorrect or wrong in some way and Mame32 won't accept them, I don't know why, but when you get upwards of 2,000 in your collection, it doesn't seem to bother you as bad,lol. Just make sure you choose "Working games" over on the side menu, that way only the good roms will show up after you run the game audit.[/i]

My thing is that I've noticed some games run better in regular old MAME.

Well then you play those games in regular old Mame. See it's real easy :D

Personally I have so many mame versions on this pc.. it's kind of nuts (I really need to clean it up). Mainly I use Mame32. But for larger games, I use command line Mame to try and speed it up. I also use older Mames to run the hacks I like since the new mame doesn't like them unless you go through the hassle of renaming rom files within the romsets and blah blah blah. I also use Mame Plus. It really depends.

But yeah since it's so easy to have the MAME.EXE and MAME32.EXE in the same directory. Use both! Whatever suits your purposes at the time :)