IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Manual Reformatting Project

Rob Mitchell

The only thing I removed was the “Typed in by…” stuff but in the future I will leave that in too or I can put this stuff back.

I was just thinking after fixing my 4th (about the same) warranty information, that why would I want to see this when I will probably just want to know how to play the game and that is it.

FREE POKEY CHIP FOR YOU?

I am placing an order with Best Electronics today to get the Pokey chip I need to install in my CC2 when I receive it. I'm going to order one or more extra Pokeys, and I am making a FREE POKEY CHIP OFFER.

I will send a free Pokey chip to the person who volunteers and completes the 40-column text conversion of instruction manuals beginning with the letters R through T (R, S and T). Keep in mind this is 150 to 200 conversions, but you won't have to search any more for your Pokey. :D

Maybe that'll be worth it to someone?

I am halfway though the A letter of manuals .. 3D Tic Tac Toe turned out nicely.

Q: The ASCII representation of the game variation matrix (like on the back of Combat and Air Sea Battle manuals) is beyond reason to recreate in 40 columns. Shall we nix these? Or just leave them in their warped mess?

BTW: I am doing my manual conversions on my HP200LX palmtop in Memo mode set to 40 columns and displaying control characters!

Also I wonder if anyone is encountering TAB characters. Those should be deleted and replaced with the appropriate number of SPACE characters.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I came upon a game select matrix that could not be squashed down to 40 character width. In the manual I was working on I was able to make a copy of the whole text matrix and then go back and remove half from each of the copies. Basically I split the long matrix into two shorter ones that show half of the game choices.

Maybe in some cases it would be best to just use words to describe the choices for the different game options, but for some games like Space Invaders or Maze Craze the whole reason to have the instructions at all is so you can select fun game variations.

On the reformat page: MANUALS THAT ATARIAGE NEEDS TRANSCRIBED.

I looked here at AA and I didn't find the first two. Is there a scan of these manuals available?

I guess CC2 does not do the sound for the 2 KidVid games. This would have been nice but it is only two games.

Of cource you can make a face KidVid with

http://www.chez.com/slydc/kvcable.htm

And just down load the sound on to a tape.[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I have neglected to update the list for quite some time. I will make it current Tuesday at work, where I have the project files stored.

We didn't get all of them done, by far, but it'll be a decent start. Maybe there will be more interest after the CC2 is shipping.

I'll get the status page updated and a file off to Al some time Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, the thing is now updated!

I have received everything that people volunteered except Rob's "A" list that he says is finished and the 2600 half of Justin's "C" list.

The project status page contains a link to the ZIP file.

Thanks, I just snagged it.

Hmm, it looks like the BMX Airmaster manual is corrupted. Any chance we can get it reuploaded? :)

Mitch

• 1 month later...

You guys(girls?) who already have your CC2's do you think this project is worth completing, or can you read the text as is pretty good?

I'm still waiting for my CC2 I just squeaked in and paid on the last day by paypal so I think I'm at the very bottom of the list.

• 3 weeks later...

There's only four in X, so I just now did 'em. Oh boy, X-Man.

One bit of advice: if you use Linux or Mac OS X, make sure that the files have CR/LF line termination! The CC2 manuals displayer doesn't seem to like LF termination. If you get to the end of the file, it won't back up more than four or five lines.

cc2_manuals_x.zip

OK, I fixed the problem with the "B" files. It looks like some of the "D" and "E" files have the same problem so I fixed those as well.

I'm attaching a zip with all the manuals including the new and corrected ones.

Look who typed in the manual for "The Earth Dies Screaming". Hmm... why does that name seem familar. :D

Mitch

cc2man40.zip

I wanted more manuals for the 7800 games that I haven't played much, so I started formating manuals for the games that didn't yet have a 40 column manual. I need to redo from M to later in the alphabet.

I also formatted a manual for Solaris. The HTML manual on Atari Age is messy, so I tried to fix that.

Enjoy! (Or don't)

moremanuals.zip