IGNORED

TOS 4.92?

Tempest

Anyone know anything about TOS 4.92? Is it worth upgrading to? I know it's a buggy beta, but does it provide any interesting features over 4.04? What about 5.0? I thought I heard that someone completed this version for use on one of the overseas Falcon clones.

Tempest

I use 4.92 every now and then. It's got a nicer interface (very minimal)

but all the icons were going color and the 3D depth effect was being tweaked (so it looks) it was starting to really gear toward a nice looking Win 95 killer OS ;)

Had Atari put a bit more effort into it it would have shaped up very very nicely! (what a shame)

It's also faster IMO. (at least I know changing screen rez is faster for sure)

What bugs are known to exist in it? I haven't seemed to have too many

issues while using it and I got TOS 4.02 (blah) and still looking for an upgrade.

It's also faster IMO. (at least I know changing screen rez is faster for sure)  

What bugs are known to exist in it? I haven't seemed to have too many  

issues while using it and I got TOS 4.02 (blah) and still looking for an upgrade

I don't know, I just read it was buggy. Does it have any compatibility issues with games (other than the normal Falcon issues)? Is it worth upgrading my TOS to 4.92? I like the windows look personally... :)

Tempest

I wouldn't upgrade from 4.04 to 4.92 without actually doing a LOT of testing to make sure all the stuff you want to use works.

Actually I'm in the process of doing that now... here, I got a hott minute, let me take some snapshots with my digi cammy to show you the differences if your interested? :)

The zBench .92 benches everything quicker in 5 vs. 4.02 but I think that may have something to do with the ROM being located in memory from the boothd program loading it into the Falcon ram.

However... out of the 3... the FPU speed improves dramatically compared to other CPU & DSP test (which only increase by a few percent) compared to a CT2 Falcon.'

Then you can see the 3D bar in 5 vs. the Static looking bar in 4.02.

The Alerts are colored for our viewing :)

TT Screen Rez modes are avail (this may be available in 4.02 as well, but not without MultiTOS) I hate MultiTOS!

And of course, changing screen rez is much faster in 5 (but again, this may have something to do with the fact the rom is in memory)

Heh... yea, the differences are pretty minimal but like I said it was starting to go into the right direction. Off hand I haven't noticed any compatibility issues. It's played my games I always play just fine (SuperFly, Killing Impact) and some demos.

Haven't went as far as to test everything.

Also need to use something that utilizes the DSP hardware etc. etc.

Anyways as soon as your Falcon arrives you'll be able to try it out yourself! :)