IGNORED

Sears Wishbook Ad

Cassidy Nolen

Ok,

So I am covered in 6 inches of snow (well, not personally, but the whole town is), and I get a knock from the postman. My Sears catalog arrived! Of course, its 21 years late, but I would not have it any other way. This is the wishbook from 83. Gotta love those groovy looking systems. Anybody here ever played one :)

Cassidy

post-571-1075146038_thumb.jpg

Nice pic :)

I drove down to Oregon a month or two ago.. and on the way we stopped by some small antique shops. One of them had a whole bunch of Sears and JCPenny Christmas catalogs circa 70's and 80's.

I had an absolute BLAST going through the toy sections and seeing exactly the pages that were burned in my memory as a kid. For me, those catalogs were the only place I could get a lot of stuff back then, as where I grew up didn't have much.

Anyway, it was cool seeing it and the Atari systems, the O2's and the Astrocade pages.. and I would've been tempted to pick up a couple.. but I decided against it at $10 a pop for what would've been a lot of heavy paper :P

One thing that always taunted me wa the Sears catalog always had a pic of the 800 'Caverns of Mars' that pic made me want an 800 badly

Yep I remember that. I had a 400 at the time and therefore no disk drive. I wanted CoM so badly, but alas it was disk only. It didn't come out on cartridge until way later on.

Tempest

I'll try to get some other shots from the book. There is a discounted section that has Steeplechase for 5.99! Wish I had a few of those. The cover of the catalog looked really familiar to me. I am POSITIVE its one I looked through as a kid. There are a few pages on Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Coleco and Intellivision, and some neat handhelds.

I really am looking forward to going through the book cover to cover soon. Man, what a trip. Well worth the money. I heard someone on the radio talking about old catalogs recently, and I decided to pick this one up. Anyone have a 77 with the first system in it? A friend of mine has a 78 Holiday Playboy with the 'hot gifts' for that year and its in there.

Cassidy

I love store catalog ads. I only saved one from back then that isn't all damaged from Scotch tape:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...me-is-here.html

Maybe one day I'll scan in my couple of Sears pages and reconstruct them a bit so the damage isn't noticeable.

If you don't know already, put a black piece of paper behind each page if you go to scan them in so the other side doesn't show through. I would love to visit a web site that had good quality store catalog scans of the Atari 2600 pages from the late 1970s until around 1985. Sears, JC Penney, Best, and so on would be great. How can you get your hands on those old catalogs?

Edited by Random Terrain

It looks like the 'gemini' has a CV pic of mousetrap, and not the Atari version...

It's got a ColecoVision cartridge inserted, too. Hmmm. Maybe one of those Telegames CV clones (except those came out in the late 80's)? :)

I didn't catch that. You're correct!

It looks like the 'gemini' has a CV pic of mousetrap, and not the Atari version...

It's got a ColecoVision cartridge inserted, too. Hmmm. Maybe one of those Telegames CV clones (except those came out in the late 80's)? :)

And THIS miracle system required no RF or power cord. :twisted:

Voch

Also look at the ghosts in that image it always quack me up seeing the ghost at an angle like that. (then & now)

Cassidy, what's the white thing to the right of the Wico rollerball controller?

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v2n9/Anticpi...ontrollers.html

joysenser.jpg

Instead of a stick, Joy-Sensor uses a flat, round, touch-sensitive disk to control on-screen movement. It's somewhat like using a track ball that you only control with your thumb. For games that require only four directions of movement (e.g. Pac-Man), a switch on the panel lets you lock out sensitivity to diagonal movement. At top, a flat rectangular strip is used to control firing functions. Press at either end for manual fire, and at the center for rapid fire. Joy-Sensor makes for a unique game-playing experience. Suncom, Inc., 650 E. Anthony Tr., Northbrook, IL 60062.

----

So, I'm gathering that it's somewhat like an Intellivision controller for the 2600? Yuck! Who'd want to corrupt their beautiful Atari with that?!? :roll:

I never liked those joy-sensor controllers... might be neat for a collection though.

I used to spend hours engrossed in the Wishbook around the holiday time. When I'd make my christmas list, I'd actually write down the item number to make it easier for Santa Claus to make an order.

Besides games, I think I must have spent the most time looking at He-Man stuff... Thunder Mountain was so cool with the built in microphone. He-man was always my favorite.

I don't think I ever did get anything I picked out of the Wishbook, but I was very rarely let down with what I did get. I'm pretty easy to please. :-) (That is except for the cabbage patch doll I got one year. YUCK!)

Joy Sensor Pads: Bringing the disadvantages of the Intellivision to your 2600!

I think the Joy Sensor Pads are much worse than the Intv pads. While the Intv pads generally suck - you have to give Mattel credit for innovation. Remember the intellivoice (although very few games use the technology) and the computer add-on? The overlays are really pretty cool, along with the number pad - especially in games like Baseball and Tron - Deadly Discs. Innovation means a lot to me with video games. I am a big fan of Sega for their innovative product line. While these systems may not have made it in the long run, they did open up developers eyes to new concepts and game ideas.

Most people complain about the Intellivision's faulty gamepads. I have an Intellivision (I) and my gamepads work flawlessly! :-) I have to say that I did grow up with an INTVII, and we shredded the gamepads! I think that they were designed to be produced inexpensively. :-P

Coming soon! Slow, two-player only strategy games that cost $10 - $15 more than your Atari games.

:-) Utopia anyone? I love that game, if I only had someone to play with. I would love to see someone develop Utopia with AI!!!!

I think that the Intellivision has some arcade ports that are far superior to the original VCS releases. Burgertime and Pac-man immediately come to mind. I prefer Lock 'n' Chase and Nightstalker on the Intellivision as well... although Frogger is much better on the VCS. :-) I don't love the Intellivision quite the same as my VCS, but it does hold a special place in my heart. I really can't imagine having grown up without Sewer Sam, and you have to admit, the music in Snafu really enhances the whole Ssssnake gaming experience. :-)

Anyways... I digress.

Back on topic... the joy sensor pads still suck! :-D

[edit]

:ponder: I think I use to many emoticons. Anyone agree? :? :? :?

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

The first thing I remeber in the sears wishbook was nintendo. I had to share the catalog with my sister and we both highlighted what we wanted. This normally being the most expensive toy in the book. Plus the fact I told my sister nbody would want stinky over priced horses and stinky strawberry shortcake.

Laters......