IGNORED

Is it possible to direct/program a missile with an NES ?????

I fought off a whole slew of missiles with only a 2600 and a joystick once.

'course, that was Missile Command.

I bet a missile could be programmed with anything. It probably has to do with how new the missile is to find out how powerful the system needs to be.

But, if you have a missile, you can probably build yourself a real computer to launch it with, and not have to depend on your NES or 2600.

Since there were simple guided missiles in the 1960's and the NES uses early 80's technology, I'm guessing the NES hardware could be adapted to run the guidance for one of those early missiles. But the same could probably be said about any old computer from the 70's or 80's.

yor reasoning on a 1960's projecytile sounds reasonable.

However there is a great big difference between mil/aerospace parts and commercial grade parts. Things such as temperature and in some cases radiation tolerant parts make things extra exciting -- and expensive.

I heard earlier this month from some guy who claimed that a PS2 could run an entire rocket...

Once I stopped laughing at him, I tried to enlighten him with what little I know about the aerospace industry while at the same time not broadcast anything important.

Hex.

[ Sometimes thinks that in the human race, you occasionally have to get out and push. ]

I remember the original reason everyone said PS2 that there wasnt enough chips to make PS2's, it was because

'Saddam was using them to guide missiles'

You laugh now, but you probably believed it then =D

The version I know of was that they weren't being alowed to be exported because they were powerful enough for saddam's missles

If you really want to control guided missles, the NES isn't the best choice for it... it doesn't actually require much processing power (all you do is receive the location/heading of the missle and provide corrections), but interfacing with the NES wouldn't be easy. Using a computer like the C64 would probably be a lot easier, since the expansion ports are well documented, you can save the program on a disk (instead of having to produce a cartridge), and you actually have a keyboard to provide input rather than the NES's gamepad.

--Zero

this is funny some little nerdy 9 year old is probably watching this forum trying to figure out a way to overtake Russia!

Even if so, there's not much left to overtake.. :ponder:

And you'd have to replace the damn connector every time you tried to launch the missle in the first place.

I remember the original reason everyone said PS2 that there wasnt enough chips to make PS2's, it was because

'Saddam was using them to guide missiles'

You laugh now, but you probably believed it then =D

I laughed then, because I already knew it was grotesquely overpowered for the job.

I even laughed when they claimed he was buying them to DESIGN missiles, because I doubted he was going to waste the cash on a computer that he would have to crack before he could program, and would have to develop all his apps for.