IGNORED

Do you read Newsgroups?

Gregory DG

You know what I miss? Newsgroup auctions. RGVC used to be filled with 'em. Great deals on rare stuff from other collectors just looking to pare their own crap down. Amazing finds for great prices.

Then along came eBay. *sigh*

Great. Now I have the oldie song 'Along Comes mary' except with the word EBay stuck in my head...

You know what I miss? Newsgroup auctions. RGVC used to be filled with 'em. Great deals on rare stuff from other collectors just looking to pare their own crap down. Amazing finds for great prices.

Then along came eBay. *sigh*

Great. Now I have the oldie song 'Along Comes mary' except with the word EBay stuck in my head...

Great. Now I do too.

When I first got my Apple IIGS in 2000 I would go to comp.sys.apple2 for help a lot. I even sold a few things through comp.sys.apple2.marketplace

It's been at least a year since I really bothered much with usenet though.. havn't used my newer e-mail address with it at all in fact....

...which brings me to the spam.... a while after I started using usent I starteed geting an incredible rate of spam at my old e-mail address.... I hardly ever get spam with my current address yet it's on practicaly every page of my website.

Part of the reason I don't bother much with usenet anymore is I never did find a usenet client I really liked after I upgraded to Mac OS X.

Part of the reason I don't bother much with usenet anymore is I never did find a usenet client I really liked after I upgraded to Mac OS X.

I used to use Agent (which I paid for) in Windows to browse and read Usenet, but as my Usenet patronage started to dwindle, I ended up relying on DejaNews (long-since absorbed by Google) to browse and post to various newsgroups. Now that I'm using OS X full-time, I haven't even bothered to download a newsreader.

..Al

I used to use Agent (which I paid for) in Windows to browse and read Usenet, but as my Usenet patronage started to dwindle, I ended up relying on DejaNews (long-since absorbed by Google) to browse and post to various newsgroups. Now that I'm using OS X full-time, I haven't even bothered to download a newsreader.

..Al

Come to think of it....When Comcast bought AT&T broadband, AT&T's free usenet server went pay.... It really sucks that Comcast cable is the only broadband I can get where I live...before that happened I would check version tracker once in a while to see if there were any better readers available...now I don't have acces to a usenet server to try them with. :-(

I used to use Agent (which I paid for) in Windows to browse and read Usenet,

Ewwwww! :P

I use X-News myself. I like that it easily handles allowing you to use all avaialble news connections a server allows, and allowing connecting to multipul news servers simutaniously. Agent seems to use a proccess queue that limits you to one active thing at a time (Unless I'm missing something. Using registered Forte' Agent 1.93/32.576).

I'm on Cox Cable, and they allow 4 connections per server (pretty much the standard), and have 3 servers. So thats 12 downloads at a time. :D ;)

..Al

Come to think of it....When Comcast bought AT&T broadband, AT&T's free usenet server went pay.... It really sucks that Comcast cable is the only broadband I can get where I live...before that happened I would check version tracker once in a while to see if there were any better readers available...now I don't have acces to a usenet server to try them with. :-(

It's still free.. but it's only up to 1 gig of transfer per month :roll: You have to pay if you want more, but I'd imagine that if you're not doing binary downloads, it should be enough. It's through Giganews who are actually pretty good, if not pricey.