IGNORED

Can Highlander Be Fun?

LamontCranston

Hi, I just got Highlander a little while ago and I have to admit it doesn't seem that great. The controls don't resond very fast and those guys seem impossible to take down first of all you can't move when they hit and you and by the time the controller responds to your command to attack they hit you again i was stuck for like half hour and eventually i got about 6 hits from one guy, after a lot of frustration, and he wouldn't go down can they not die? Is killing the bad guys not an objective in the game? Is there something I'm not doing right and that in fact this game can be a lot more fun once I figure that out? Can this kind of slow reaction typew stuff be expected in any 3rd person Jag game like this?

I wasn't too impressed with this game either, and haven't played too far through it because I don't have a memory track. I did however, after playing for a while realize that to attack effectively, you must hold the attack button through the attack, not just tap it. I did do a little better in the game after I figured this out.

It's been years since I sat down and played Highlander so my memory is a bit sketchy, but I can offer you this. Yes Virginia, Highlander can be fun! For starters I always thought this was one of the best looking Jag titles out there. The controls are a bit sluggish and sometime the camera angles get in the way but it is definitely possible to enjoy this game.

First and most important you MUST HAVE the Memory Track so that it is possible to save your progress. Yes, you need to kill the bad guys but sometimes it isn't necessary or worth it to do so. I can't help you musch more than this other than the fighting in the beginning is largely based on timing your hits with the comps. I figured out a neat jump, punch combo that seemed to be pretty nifty. You should get a decent weapon early on ( I cant remember if it was the sword or not... but it was just after leaving the burned out village on your way up the mountain) I guess I'm not much help after all....

Frankly, the beginning of Highlander sucks. You get dumped into the game with no clue how the controls work, then expected to take down a whole army of nasty people with no weaponry. Not fun.

Once you realise you can leave some of the nasty people for later it gets easier...(hint: go out the camp the back way) and getting to your sword (on top of the hill) is a priority. Once you have the sword you're laughing :)

I love Highlander, it's a very nice game. You do need a Memory Track though.

Perservere and you'll come to like it a lot more...trust me on this ;)

Stone

hello,

i completed this game, too.

it has a lot of beauty areas around and mystic athmosphere ...

and ... it's playable. i also love these little music-loops.

one hint from my site:

if you discover a tank you will be on the wrong way.

no chance to survive against a tank.

greetinx and good luck

micky

I both enjoyed and completed Highlander. Yes, the first bit is frustrating, until you realize you don't need to take out the guards. If you do find yourself stuck fighting one (without your sword), use the "jump kick" combo, as it damages them and also knocks them back ever so slightly, so they can't immediately counter-attack.

Once you start picking up items -- particularly that sword -- you'll find most things much easier. The only part of the game I found difficult to control throughout was the pistol. VERY tough to aim!

Remember that this game came out around the time of Myst/Riven/Alone in the Dark/etc., so considering that, it is a very good looking Jaguar game, featuring attractive rendered backgrounds and polygons in the foreground.

Im a little late but I think the game is not fun.

Lots of design flaws, uninteresting gameplay, retarded "adventure" puzzles in its worst meaning. :idea:

Fighting is primitive and one dimensional: they included all these fighting moves for no reason as you rely on just ONE method to beat the baddies.

In contrast to the lame fights you have lots of frustrating design flaws to encounter, like these awful snipers in the canyons and in the last level. :yawn:

This game sports some eye candy but its poorly designed and a pain to play.

After playing this game you can go to a dentists shop lighthearted and ready- for-some pain as your neurosenses are most likely in enduring paralysis because of the stupidity of this game. :idea: Otherwise its pure waste of time... So have fun at the dentists shop...

I am a hardcore highlander fan, and this news is well.. i dont know..

ill watch it no matter what, but well see what its like....

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.ht...-01/30/08.00.tv

and to get on topic, I thought the Jag cd game was pretty good, but im pretty much a dorko when it comes to highlander stuff. I would really like to play the other 2 games...

and yeah, the cartoon wasnt the best...

Brad

Said previously...

In contrast to the lame fights you have lots of frustrating design flaws to encounter, like these awful snipers in the canyons and in the last level.

@}<-->---------------

Ah, was that the last level? I'm glad to hear that. I was really enjoying the game up till then. Got frustrated at the snipers, and never revisited. Do like the scenery, music, and the way the characters look in the game.

As far as the Highlander mythology goes, it is a confusing piece, but fun in the sense that it is Highlander and you have all these baddies to take down with a sword. Is one of the few good RPG's the Jag has.

I liked it to a point. Might like it more after I get past those snipers.

Doctor Clu

@Songbird

Different idea: Avoid all things which were intended by the designers to be part of the gameplay and you might have fun at the end.

By avoiding all the things that made Highlander a pain to play I ended up that I don't even bother to put the CD in the drive.

Funny game...if completely avoided and not played.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I had a lot of fun playing Highlander... it was too short, though.

Is Highlander a top 10 game for the Jag? Probably not; I'd have a lot more fun with Tempest, AvP, IS, NBA Jam, Raiden, Protector, Skyhammer, and Super Burnout. But it was a game that took some (combat) skill and kept my attention long enough that I finished it.

Now, you won't catch me playing Double Dragon V or even Hover Strike cartridge (though I have played the CD version occasionally, it's a vast improvement). Those games are too painful to be fun. But then again, you're talking to someone who thoroughly enjoyed Troy Aikman Football. ;)

Ya, I love Highlander, it's in my Jag top 10, somewhere between 7 & 10.

The snipers in the canyon level is supposed to be like a gauntlet(not the game) type level. Run as fast as you can and make it out alive, sometimes barely alive.

Once you master the hand-to-hand, sword and gun combat, taking out the baddies is easy. It takes practice....but it is better than having the game too easy. The control in Highlander is better than clunky control in the Resident Evil series. :P

Ok, I've read posts here both for and against Highlander, and decided to put in my two cents since I've completed the game three times (not to mention using the secret "gates" in the secret room in the cave to play around with different areas)and am probably the authority on this game as such. So I'm going to address a few things mentioned about the game;

First off, as far as the fighting goes, I've used, on a regular basis, EVERY move you have, with sword and with my bare hands (and bare chickens ;) ) and all the moves work well, fighting in this game is about timing and knowing when to block and when to attack. It's slow animation, but smooth, and is thoroughly enjoyable once you get it. As for the snipers in the canyon, yeah, you run past them, zig-zagging so they can't aim at you well, and NO, it is NOT the last level of the game, the game may be too short, but it's a lot longer than that, that is about 1/4 the way into the game. There ARE more snipers in the last level which is in the giant complex (fortress) at the end. I think the puzzles and such are fine, no better and no worse than any other RPG/adventure games, Tomb Raider has no revelations (no pun intended)over highlander in this department, nor Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark. The graphics are awsome, the music and sound effects work well and the background graphics are awsome, the characters could have used texture mapping, my only complaint graphically. This was originally a game that was supposed to be three times as long, ONE GAME, but Atari decided to split it up into three games, not the developer. From what I'd heard, the second part was 100% complete and the 3rd part was very close to completion too. hopefully they are not lost forever. I too, hate the cartoons and wish it was based one the movies or show instead, but it doesn't detract from the game itself one bit, I would have had just as much fun with the game if it was some generic name and the character just some generic knight on a quest to save his people from the enemy. Highlander premise is fine, but I like the game regardless, just like I liked Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark.

DOH! :dunce:

Yeah...I meant that I hate starting Battlemorph over each time. I had just read one of the other many posts here on BS and I guess my mind was wondering.

Still it is nice to read people's opinions on Highlander since I am still interested in getting myself a copy someday.

Highlander IS fun - and is a beautiful game to look at - im sure that if Atari lasted longer that a second one wouldve been released wtih better polygonal chartacters(more detail-more/different sounds etc..)

My my #2 game on the JagCD :)