IGNORED

I found the alternative to eBay for videogames etc. !!!

CPUWIZ

im glade bidiots is around to give ebay a little competition but I dont think that bidiots will stay around for much longer :sad:

why do you say that? is it cuz not that many people know about it?

I think that Bidiots is going to have a hard time staying in business unless things pick up for them. There usually isn't that many items listed and therefore they can't be making very much money. My guess is that they are losing money right now, but I could be wrong. The sponsers might be paying enough to meet expenses.

I think that Bidiots is going to have a hard time staying in business unless things pick up for them.  There usually isn't that many items listed and therefore they can't be making very much money.  My guess is that they are losing money right now, but I could be wrong.  The sponsers might be paying enough to meet expenses.

Typically, businesses lose money on average for the first year or two anyway, due to startup costs, R&D, advertising, operating costs which almost always far exceed revenue until business picks up anyway, etc. Most of it's a tax writeoff anyway. Auction sites are one of those business that's difficult to start up, especially in the face of eBay. Generally speaking when you have a new product or service designed to compete in whole or in part with a well established and highly popular one, you either have to have a compelling argument to bring people over to your service. Bidiots have some definite points here: They specialize in video games, their rates are incredibly reasonable (you can't get much more reasonable than free), they have responsive support, and they don't yank auctions eBay would consider in violation of TOS due to complete ignorance. Their main problem is the catch-22 of services like this: You can't get buyers if there are no sellers to create a market, and you can't get sellers if there's no market in the first place. They just need to expand awareness and bring people on board. Give it time -- it's still only 3-1/2 months old. eBay certainly didn't become an overnight success.

I just registered there tonight. I'm grow tired of the de facto monopoly that is Ebay and I hope that Bidiots can survive. They need to do more advertising, perhaps a t.v. commercial would be nice. I just checked on atari items and there are plenty of nice boxed games, but they are all PAL. In fact couldn't find any ntsc games. I'm rooting for their success; just have to be patient and not expect anything immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody tried this out:

http://www.bidiots.com/browse.asp

I noticed on added on the top navbar on bidiots.com tonight, it makes looking for stuff on Bidiots a lot easier, nice!

Anybody noticed any other features that are new lately? I need to post some auctions and I'm curious to see whats new on the site.

Curt

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just registered. Did not like what I saw, but my first impressions are often wrong, and I am tired, I celebrated the solsitce by drinking a bottle of wine between dusk and dawn, and playing SSX 3. :D

I shall have a proper browse later. I suspect that it will be a site that I mostly use as a buyer, when looking for specific games by name, at first anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this is probably impossible, but I'd like to see Bidiots offer a 'relist on eBay' link. I would be happy to try selling video game stuff on Bidiots, but it's just annoying to have to enter a new listing for eBay when stuff doesn't sell. I never list stuff on eBay for below what I'm comfortable accepting, so taking a risk in the name of the little man would be well worth it to me.

I appreciate eBay as a source of revenue for more games, but I don't think it's such a good service as to deserve no competition. Talk about anti-trust! Next successful auction/sale service (hmmm, Craig's List?) to be bought by eBay SHOULD merit the feds getting involved.

• 4 weeks later...