IGNORED

To Neo Geo or not to Neo Geo?

JagWarlord

Ive been eyeing a Neo Geo aes system for some time now. Some of the games look really good but, the prices are a little high. If I started collecting it I would only be able to buy 1 game every other month. One of the games that caught my eye was, Pulstar. I dont know though...its a tough decision. Any Neo Geo collectors here? any thoughts about it?

Here's some advice from someone who dabbled in the Neo Geo scene for a couple of years. Don't bother. It honestly isn't worth the money or hassle to own a Neo Geo AES or MVS system.

The games are pretty pricey on both formats...some older AES games like Metal Slug and Pulstar sometimes sell for thousands of dollars. The newest releases have been clocking in at around $350 too. The Neo community (www.neo-geo.com) is full of elitist snobs who have more money than sense. The games aren't particularly deep either...true, there's some variety in the older titles, but the recent releases have mainly focused on fighting games and the occassional Metal Slug or puzzle game.

The consoles and arcade boards are pretty pricey too and prone to failure. The cart slots have a nasty tendency to loosen up over time and cause errors due to poor contact. Mundane things like joysticks and adapters are not cheap either.

My advice is not to get involved with the scene. If you must get your Neo fix, my advice is to buy the games that are ported to the Saturn, PS2, DC and XBOX (soon).

The Neo-Geo is the ultimate in retro gaming as far as I'm concerned... there are so many Neo-Geo games that I absolutely loved in the arcade, and in my opinion, very few of them got good conversions to other platforms. I don't have a Neo-Geo yet, since I can't afford it at all, but if you have the disposable income, I highly recommend it.

You might also want to look into the advantages and disadvantages of both the MVS and AES systems... for example, finding Metal Slug for MVS is much easier and cheaper than finding the AES version.... I think you can manage to convert the cartridges between MVS and AES, but I'm not sure how hard it is.

--Zero

The price of Pulstar on MVS is often less than the cost of your next-gen games. I think I paid around $35-40 for mine, spend another $5 for shock box, need to speed another $2 for teh custom insert, then it'll be done. :) I don't think the price is really as big an issue as some make it out to be.

For collector piece, AES games, yes there are high priced games, quite a few go into the thousands. Most do not thou. There are a number of games that are under $100, quite a few yet under the $50 price point. And there are lots that vary between the $100-1000 range that are well worth the price Last Blade, KOFs, Metal Slugs, etc. They were $300 new so in like new condition they have held value well.

Non-collector prices gamer condition carts as they are called are much more affordable to someone just wanting to play, not as concerned over conditions.

You could build a sizable collection just seeking out complete gamer condition games, or there abouts, good/very good condition, many for under $100.

MVS thou is a totally different animal, besides for a few rarer titles, MVS exclusives, and just rare overall, Most loose MVS carts can be had for under $100. "Kits" boxed titles with artpacks, mini marquees, game move stickers, etc, these are collected by people now and are going up in value. Many kits will set you back $100 or more. I still prefer loose carts then make inserts for shockboxes. I'm happy with them. The new releases come out at high prices sometimes much higher than AES even, $500-1500 range, these drop like flies over the first few weeks/months of release, and average out over time. They do not stay high forever. There aren't that many new games coming out thou, so for the most part most of the classics can be had for cheap.

And you could go AES, and then get the converter, phantom-1 to play MVS on your system. Then seek out AES games you can afford, while buying MVS originals of the $500+ games. :)

Take a look here: http://neo-geo.com/guides/menu.html

Depending on condition, you might could snag one on the cheap for around $300 or so, keep your eyes peeled on yahoo.japan or get a conversion for about the same. There's a conversion up right now currently at $81: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3073976519

But it's damn high in minty AES form for sure! Also Blazing Star is another of the shooters to watch out for, but it's even higher in AES form, runs about the same as Pulstar on MVS thou! :D

Take a look here: http://neo-geo.com/guides/menu.html

Depending on condition, you might could snag one on the cheap for around $300 or so, keep your eyes peeled on yahoo.japan or get a conversion for about the same. There's a conversion up right now currently at $81: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3073976519  

But it's damn high in minty AES form for sure! Also Blazing Star is another of the shooters to watch out for, but it's even higher in AES form, runs about the same as Pulstar on MVS thou! :D

Hey, what are you doing!? Don't post that Pulstar auction here, I was gonna bid on that! ;) Now I expect the price to go higher :(

Too bad its missing the original insert and manual. I'll probaley still bid on it though...

It's a conversion! Think repo like what some people here and the AA store carries. There is no original insert because it's a homemade game, the insert was also homemade, or createwd on a computer, then taken to kinkos for a print. Same reason there is no manual. :|

I don't think I would bid on that honestly. I'd do more research, I don't know that seller, he was on the neo-geo.com boards pimping his auctions thou, so you can find out more.

I think (?) is a tip! ;) He doesn't want to say as he's afraid it might get shut down. Typically if it's not much info, or the seller asks you to email for info, it's possibly a boot. Some people use 100% original SNK parts, take a common AES game, pcbs, casing, box, then buy a legit MVS title, like Pulstar here, but also the first Metal Slug, and that 10K game, plus anything that wasn't originally released on AES, then they take the original ROM chips off the MVS pcbs, on put onto the AES pcbs, and make a shiny new label, and print up a new insert and they're done. The cost is not cheap still, alot of conversions are still in the $300 range, but that's better than paying $1200 for a legit MS1 AES. And for games that never came out on AES, it allows collectors to enjoy the games without a cab.

Thing is alot of these are just made with eproms, and a donor AES cart, so they are technically bootlegs. I'd just buy the actual MVS cart and not pay someone for one of these.

I think (?) is a tip! ;)  He doesn't want to say as he's afraid it might get shut down. Typically if it's not much info, or the seller asks you to email for info, it's possibly a boot. Some people use 100% original SNK parts, take a common AES game, pcbs, casing, box, then buy a legit MVS title, like Pulstar here, but also the first Metal Slug, and that 10K game, plus anything that wasn't originally released on AES, then they take the original ROM chips off the MVS pcbs, on put onto the AES pcbs, and make a shiny new label, and print up a new insert and they're done. The cost is not cheap still, alot of conversions are still in the $300 range, but that's better than paying $1200 for a legit MS1 AES. And for games that never came out on AES, it allows collectors to enjoy the games without a cab.  

Thing is alot of these are just made with eproms, and a donor AES cart, so they are technically bootlegs. I'd just buy the actual MVS cart and not pay someone for one of these.

Well he fooled me with that cart! :) He did a pretty nice job on it.

I had an AES, have an MVS, and sold my CD system. If ya have the room, go with the MVS, if not, and I know I will get my ass chewed for this, get an Xbox, mod it, and play the Neo Geo games on there. They are pretty much perfect in all aspects. Now if you are going to collect, maybe Pestilent will give you a few reasons not too :ponder:

There are some well known collector/sellers who will do conversions on request, or who post conversion on ebay from time to time. Teh big tymers DD&CR did get sued over trying to make a biz out of it. Just like here, where some members are more than happy to hook a fellow collector up with a homemade copy of a rare game, or a hack or whatever. Might not be something that gets alot of talk otherwise there could be problems.

*edit I can't type tonight. ;P

Thing is in the Neo communtiy is that everyone cares about the value. It's basically a system to collect for more than play. No other system has ever had the prestige of a Neo and probably never will. It's still one of my favorite systems ever because of the quality of the hardware and software. Pretty much nothing can even come close in many ways :)

So the Neo Geo collectors are kinda like the badasses of videogames, laying low doing underground conversions, hiding from the law, and ripping people off :?

I don't think it's as all bad as that. You have that element in any platform. But on a whole, the NeoGeo scene does tend to be a bit eliteist. It's cost prohibative for most people.

Damn... is there any way to tell conversions from the real thing? I guess the game would play the same, so I probably wouldn't even know unless I cracked open the cartridge itself... I was hoping to get into the NeoGeo scene, but I don't like the idea of getting ripped off with pirate games (But again, since I'd mostly be interested in playing the games, I guess it wouldn't matter... but it still feels wrong somehow to end up paying $300 for something someone made for a fraction of the price).

Also, how hard is it to rig a region selector switch into an MVS or AES system? I've heard it can be done, and considering pretty much all NeoGeo games actually do some different stuff in different regions, it seems like something I would want to do.

I suppose getting a Universe Bios would be a nice solution... anyone have any experience with this?

Oh, and what are "shockboxes"? Are these just plastic VHS/Genesis-type cases that people use for MVS games? From what I've seen, it looks like MVS cartridges normally come in rather plain cardboard boxes...

--Zero