IGNORED

My Falcon Arrived! But I Have Some Questions...

Tempest

Ok My Falcon got here, and after some cleaning I think it's just about perfect. However I have a few questions.

1. The Falcon came with two strange items I can't identify. One is called "Blow Up Hard I". I appears to go between the Falcon Monitor Adapter and the Falcon itself. It has two joystick connectors coming out of it, one male and one female. Any ideas what this does?

The other item simply says "Safekey Practical Solutions Inc." on it. It appears to be an adapter of some sort. It has a male end on one side and a female end on the other. I have no idea which port it plugs into, but it's a wide plug (wider than the monitor port anyway). What could this be?

2. I'm currently using my Falcon with a PTC1426 monitor. When I set the monitor to VGA mode the image is condensed to the center of the screen with a LARGE back boarder. I'm losing almost 2 inches!

When I set it to the other mode (TT mode I guess), it stretches the screen horizontally but not vertically. The image now actually goes off the edge of the monitor.

How can I get the most screen room out of my monitor? I haven't tried it with the ST monitor since I lack the adapter, would that look better?

Tempest

Ok My Falcon got here, and after some cleaning I think it's just about perfect.  However I have a few questions.

1. The Falcon came with two strange items I can't identify.  One is called "Blow Up Hard I".  I appears to go between the Falcon Monitor Adapter and the Falcon itself.  It has two joystick connectors coming out of it, one male and one female.  Any ideas what this does?

The other item simply says "Safekey Practical Solutions Inc." on it.  It appears to be an adapter of some sort.  It has a male end on one side and a female end on the other.  I have no idea which port it plugs into, but it's a wide plug (wider than the monitor port anyway).  What could this be?

2. I'm currently using my Falcon with a PTC1426 monitor.  When I set the monitor to VGA mode the image is condensed to the center of the screen with a LARGE back boarder.  I'm losing almost 2 inches!  

When I set it to the other mode (TT mode I guess), it stretches the screen horizontally but not vertically.  The image now actually goes off the edge of the monitor.  

How can I get the most screen room out of my monitor?  I haven't tried it with the ST monitor since I lack the adapter, would that look better?

Tempest

Hi Tempest,

1)The BlowUp is a screen enhancer.

Basically it allows you to display larger screen resolutions than the standard, eg 800x600x16colours (provided its not too much info for the bus to handle (eg. 640x480xTC).

I can't remember which joystick port the plug goes in, i think its port 1. Then a joystick can go in the other end of the socket. If you see what i mean.

Safekey, i'm not sure about.

2) The different modes take up different amounts of space on the monitor, i'm afraid i never found a way to deal with that except by adjusting the settings of the monitor.

I seem to remember BlowUp can help with this though.

I tend to use Videlity so BlowUp I'm not quite so familiar with.

On my Falcon VGA covers the screen, whereas TT/ST modes give me vertical vlack borders.

This may be a result of using BlowUp software without the adapter in place? Maybe somebody esle can help with this.

Cheers

SOFTWARE SECURITY DEVICE

========================                         Press Release

Practical Solutions, Inc.

1135 N. Jones Blvd.

Tucson, AZ 85716     Phone:  (602) 322-6100    FAX:  (602) 322-9271

For Immediate Release

December 1, 1990-Tucson, AZ.  Practical Solutions, Inc. announces the

development and release of Safekey, an exciting innovation in copy-

protection technology.  Compatible with all computers using a standard

RS232 port, including the Atari ST/STE/TT, Safekey is the first software

protection device commercially available to implement an advanced

command set, enabling more sophisticated encoding to provide a much

higher level of security than ever previously available.

According to company president Mark Sloatman, "Safekey is truly the next

generation in copy-protection, and is totally transparent to normal

computer operations.  It can be plugged in and forgotten by the user."

Each year, millions of dollars in potential software sales are lost

because of the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted applications.

Copy-protection has long been attempted but is often unreliable for

general use.  Other hardware "keys" can interfere with the port they are

connected to or employ simple logic circuitry that can be easily

defeated, while disk-based protection is generally too inconvenient for

use by consumers.  Safekey provides the convenience of a hardware key in

conjunction with the state-of-the-art CMOS microprocessor that allows

the adaptability of complex functions, such as math and memory

operations, and therein lies the real power.  Essentially functioning as

a microcomputer, Safekey can be completely customized by Practical

Solutions for a particular application.  This gives software developers

the flexibility to adapt protection for either entire production runs or

for each individual package.  According to Sloatman, "Safekey's design

makes it very difficult to defeat and provides a maximum level of

protection."

Because it connects to a standard RS232 port and uses standard RS232

protocol in its communications, Safekey is compatible with any operating

system driving an RS232 port.  In this way, all communications are

handled by the operating system (eliminating the need for specialized

drivers), making hardware differences between host systems

inconsequential.  Its size is unobtrusive, being similar to a null-modem

connector, and connects easily to the serial port of the host computer.

Safekey allows other serial devices to connect via its pass-through

port, and will not interfere with the user's ability to make backups or

a hard drive installation.

Software developers can obtain any of three standard models of Safekey

depending on the level of sophistication required.  The copy-protection

features can then be implemented by designing an application so it will

only execute properly with a Safekey connected.  A Safekey is then

provided with each authorized copy sold.  Information or a Developer's

Kit may be obtained from Practical Solutions at the address and phone

listed above.  Depending on the model, Safekey will sell for $29-$49.

Future versions are planned for Macintosh and NeXT computers.

From http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/06/08/03/0086.php

So it's a security dongle like the ones that come with Cubase. Interesting, I wonder what program uses it.

The different modes take up different amounts of space on the monitor, i'm afraid i never found a way to deal with that except by adjusting the settings of the monitor.

I don't think I can adjust the monitor. I haven't seen any kind of dial or anything that lets me adjust screen size. I'm using a PTC1426.

Tempest

I think you are SOL unless you get some kind of screen tweaking software. Those old Atari monitors do not have the flexability to adjust the screen like the new ones do. Just like the SM124 mono monitor, cannot adjust. But on a modern VGA you can do everything but brew coffee on those suckers! lol You should try a progrm called Videlity, it allows screen tweaking.

http://storage.atari-source.com/atari/mirr...on/videlity.zip

I think you are SOL unless you get some kind of screen tweaking software.  Those old Atari monitors do not have the flexability to adjust the screen like the new ones do.  Just like the SM124 mono monitor, cannot adjust.  But on a modern VGA you can do everything but brew coffee on those suckers! lol  You should try a progrm called Videlity, it allows screen tweaking.

http://storage.atari-source.com/atari/mirrors/chapelie.rma.ac.be/atari/falcon/videlity.zip

Videlity is excellent.

I can't believe that BlowUp wouldn't allow some kindf of similar tweaking though.

Videlity is excellent.  

I can't believe that BlowUp wouldn't allow some kindf of similar tweaking though.

I bought Videlity and found it really convoluted, and only used it to enable high-resolution TC mode. Later I discovered CENTSCREEN which was not only free but much easier and elegant in my opinion.

I do have the blow up (probably Blow up II ) software for use with some accelerator of wich i forgot the name, so i don't have the need for that little "box". However i never use the software anyhow. So i can't be much of a help on that. Apart from saying that it takes some fiddling around to get the screen modes right for your liking and to what your monitor can handle.

As for the joystick cables attached to that box, they're probaly used to get some voltage from the falcon's mouse/joystick connector into the box. I don't think it really matters wich joystick connector you use, but the mouse one is probably the most handy as the extention makes it easier to swap from mouse to joystick and back. Back in those days they did sell extension leeds just for the sole purpose of not having to lift your ST up and crap around to fiddle in your joystick into the mouse port when you wanted to play a 2 player game.

I mostly use a RGB monitor with my Falcon. A ST monitor is alrighty for most games and demo's. But if you plan to do DTP, midi sequencing or whatever kind of aplications that require or work easier in higher resolutions, you better stick to the PTC1426 monitor.

On the other hand if you do want to play games and such, especially ST games you'll "need" a monitor that runs ST resolutions.

I am not familair with the PCT monitors so i have no clue on how to get best out of them.

One more thing, my falcon tends to put the screen out of centre and shifts it a bit to the right. I don't know if this is a "problem" in all Falcons, but it is recommended to have a monitor that let you adjust screen position and size.

Safekey if i remember correctly was used by Steinberg to copy protect their midi software. Not many software publishers on the Atari used it, and Steinberg might have been the only one (?)

A set of stereo active speakers hmm sorry.. multimedia speakers as they like to call it work great on the "headphone" plug. Plugging it into a amplifier of a real audio set is even better. Although there are people who complain(ed) about the output quality. There is a modification to make the output signal clearer and better suitable for use with amplifiers.

Thats all i come up with right now. I hope my chaotic rambling was of any use :D

I've given up on the Blow Up. I'm going to try and get a nice Multisync monitor for the Falcon. Unfortunately I can't find a list of monitors that work with the Falcon (they're all for ST's). I also need to find someone who sells a Multisync monitor cable for Falcon.

Turns out the Safekey was for some graphics program (Chronos). I'll never use it.

Tempest

I've given up on the Blow Up.  I'm going to try and get a nice Multisync monitor for the Falcon.  Unfortunately I can't find a list of monitors that work with the Falcon (they're all for ST's).  I also need to find someone who sells a Multisync monitor cable for Falcon.

Turns out the Safekey was for some graphics program (Chronos).  I'll never use it.

Tempest

Umm, shouldn't all VGA monitors work on the Faclon? It's only the ST video modes that need the "multisync" capabilities.

Mitch

Umm, shouldn't all VGA monitors work on the Faclon? It's only the ST video modes that need the "multisync" capabilities.

Mitch

Even at that, I've found several of my old ST games that will run just fine on my VGA monitor. Granted, there's still quite a bit that won't, but the few things I can't run aren't quite worth hunting down a multisync monitor.

It's hard to say, I haven't tried most of my old games. What I've noticed, though, is that TOS-friendly games seem to be the most compatible. I may start making a list of some of my games that work on the Falcon and which ones don't, and may also separate that into which ones work in VGA, RGB, etc. All of the Reservoir Gods games work just fine in VGA, as well as Starball (cool pinball game), Pacific Islands, and the one Sierra game I've tried (Police Quest 2), although it is a bit buggy. Are you wanting to mostly just play games on the Falcon, or are you interested in "productivity" apps too? I'd recommend nothing but an ST monitor for games, and nothing but VGA for productivity. I wouldn't waste my time looking for a multisync unless you absolutely need it.

Well I'm mostly interested in playing games. The problem with ST monitors is that they all seem to have that giant boarder around them. I don't know if that's a problem inherent to TOS or if it's the monitor. I have a PS3000 I was going to use (the drive is a plus considering the Falcon drive is on the side), but it's only a 12" monitor and with that stupid boarder its almost down to 11! There doesnt seem to be any adjusts on Atari monitors.

I'd also hate to give up the ability to play some of the nicer Falcon specific games in VGA. I figured a nice multisync monitor would be the easiest way to get the best of both worlds (VGA/ST modes and a screen adjust).

Tempest

I got the adaptor that came with the falcon (well 2 really.one for vga and one for atari monitors) i hooked it up and seemed to work fine..not really tried to many screenmodes yet but the monitor will do most vga modes and i did get it in 256 color mode.. still struggling with the cdrom atm tho..finally got cbhd to see it but still not got it on desktop (icon) i suppose i need to edit the startup but still fuzzy on that :) can someone PM me a text of thiers so i have an idea what to do?