IGNORED

Star Ship - red border on end text/number label

Room 34

I am attempting to put together a complete set of the text/number label cartridges as one of my first "goals" for my collection. I've managed to get 6 of them fairly quickly (granted, I somehow stumbled on an auction of 5 of them on eBay, which helped).

The one other text/number label I have that was NOT in that auction is Star Ship. I am curious about my copy because I noticed that the border around the edge of the end label on it is RED instead of silver like on all of the other games. The copy shown on the AA cartridge scans is silver.

Is a red border on the "03 star ship" label a known variant?

Also, as long as I've brought up this game, what's the deal with the label that says "Atari 2600" in white text and "Star Ship" in yellow? It looks to me like a hasty re-release in '83 or later. Is that right? Are there any other games with labels like this? (I think I saw this in a thrift store once 10 years ago but I foolishly did not buy it.)

Thanks...

Thanks, that's it! The subtle difference in the shade of the red ink is present too (between the all-red "03 star ship" and my red-and-silver "02 air-sea-battle".

Thanks again! Now, should I be completely obsessive and try to collect the other variant too? (I think I can do without two copies of "Star Ship," honestly.)

Yep as MattyXB pointed out some of the very first releases from Atari had a colored boarder on them. These are generally much harder to find than the normal silver boarders.

Here's the 2600 label variations list. This shoudl answer all your label variation questions.

Label Variations List

Tempest

As long as we're on the topic, does anybody know about the "odd" label for Star Ship? What year was it produced? What was the release history of this game? I can only go by what I know from catalogs, since I only got into Atari in 1982.

It looks to me like Star Ship was discontinued in 1980 or early '81, prior to the debut of the picture labels. I am guessing that maybe they did a hasty re-issue of it later, hence the new hybrid label. It never appeared in any catalogs after 1980 though, did it?

Yes!! I do have the first printing 1977 by Atari 01 Combat on the back of cartridge label showed all red, that what MattyXB showed. Same thing with 1977 Air-sea-battle, Star Ship, and others some early first printing with red label on the back, all with rare flip top boxes.

I agreed with Tempest says that very hard to find with red label on the back of cartridges.

Jason

You all are making me feel good about my score with this red outline "03 star ship" cart I got. I had been bidding on a full flip-top box version on eBay but gave up long before it finally closed at almost $40! A couple days later I spotted this Star Ship cart in a lot with several other games, which I got for $12!

Granted, it's just the cart, but I have so few of the boxes/manuals for my games that I didn't want the other ones getting jealous!

Now the real question, as far as the actual game is concerned, does anyone think Star Ship doesn't suck?

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

Hey Scott!

I did looked at your website, it was great job!! I like it!!

To me?? I havnt making my own homepage website, beacuse I'm not really expert of desgin. But I will try my best to do.

Anyway, yeah, Star ship not really suck game, but good to have collect some of rare red end label.

Jason

I've been spending some time trying to get the boxes. Originally they were too bulky and I had no room for them. But I decided that boxes were the way to go. I always tried to get the instructions. I now have about 150 or so boxed games for the 2600. Maybe more. I haven't counted.

I picked up most of the original ## games with boxes in REALLY NICE condition in a collection a few years ago. These things looked brand new and are my pride and joy, ok, not total p&j, but I'm proud of having them in such nice condition.

I agree that the colored borders are alot harder to find. I know for a fact that the boxed games I have do have the color borders. Just can't remember how many I have. Great find. I would never spend $40 on a boxed Atari made game unless it was the rarer games, like Pigs in Space, and even then I don't think I'll spend that much. I have too much luck finding stuff in the "wild".

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Now the real question, as far as the actual game is concerned, does anyone think Star Ship doesn't suck?
Well, I was hesitant to speak up about the hours I spent playing star ship, years ago (Space War, right there in the living room!)... but this thread did make me go back and take take a look at my copy.

Sure enough, it's the red-ringed label. I suppose I might have liked it so much because there wasn't much to choose from, at the time.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the all red 01 Combat, 03 Star Ship and the all orange 11 Indy 500.

I used to have the all red 02 Air Sea Battle and all orange Street Racer but can't find them at the moment :(

I bet the hardest ones to find would be the all green 41 Surround, 51 Blackjack and the all blue 61 Basic Math.

I do at least have all of the silver border versions with the gatefold boxes:

http://www.city-net.com/~groovy/ataria.jpg - top shelf, far left

Take care,

Doug