IGNORED

Sega Genesis questions...my first one

Esc

I picked up a Sega Genesis in an eBay lot of video games and I had no intention of keeping it, I cleaned it up and bought a new power supply for it. I tried to sell it on eBay but there were no takers. I guess the value of these aren't what I was expecting to get.

Anyway, as I was testing it out with one of my favourite arcade games, Golden Axe. I was pretty impressed with the graphics and sound, as I never had a Sega before. I'm hoping some of the other arcade conversions are similar quality. So now I'm really thinking of keeping it and perhaps start collecting some games for the Genesis.

Anyway, my question is there a complete list of games for the Genesis that I can view somewhere? I know I can search the internet for one, but I'm asking here if someone knows of a good site that you use for Genesis info.

Also, did they port a version of 1943 on the Sega Genesis? I'm really looking for some of the classic arcade games from the early 90s and late 80s.

Thanks!!

Also for screenshots, reviews, and general info on releases...go here for all your Genesis library goodness.

www.genesiscollective.com

I use this site to get an idea of what the games are about.

I use the DP site for an idea on Rarity.

Sadly 1943 itself wasn't ever truly ported to the Genesis. However, many many many other shooters were in the same vein as 1943. You can try picking up Fireshark, Gaires (SP?), and everyones favorite..M.U.S.H.A.

:D

So now I'm really thinking of keeping it and perhaps start collecting some games for the Genesis.

I'm new to Genesis as well. (as of last summer) Collecting for the Genesis is awesome. I find so much stuff for it at all the thrift stores. I say keep it and experience what it has to offer. One of my favorites.. Samurai Showdown. Way cool. The other would be Gunstar Heros. If you get the chance, find those and play 'em.

Also, check out GameFaq.com. They have lists, screenshots, reviews, codes,etc.

Sadly 1943 itself wasn't ever truly ported to the Genesis. However, many many many other shooters were in the same vein as 1943. You can try picking up Fireshark, Gaires (SP?), and everyones favorite..M.U.S.H.A.

:D

Gaiares.

I was playing that earlier. Nice power-up system.

As a sidenote... I've had my Genesis for a couple years, but it's only the last few months I've started buying games for it. I was a Nintendo fanboy during the "16-bit era", and never really liked the Genesis. Got it for 2-3 SegaCD games, and was content to let the library rest there for a long time.

Actually, it's GameFAQs, not GameFaq (close enough though!  :) )

I'm a moderator for GameFAQs' message boards, and I can tell you that  

we have a lot of information on Genesis as well as many other systems, modern and classic.

And, no offense, but some of it is VERY wrong.

A prime example is a review for 2600 Qix, a game that doesn't exist and likely isn't even possible to make.

we have a lot of information on Genesis as well as many other systems, modern and classic.

A prime example is a review for 2600 Qix, a game that doesn't exist and likely isn't even possible to make.

I assume the review is of the 5200 version . . . But, I don't see why it would be impossible, per se, it's a really simple game, and even the 5200 version is inexplicably dumbed down a little . . .

Anyway, as I was testing it out with one of my favourite arcade games, Golden Axe.

Good choice. Personally, I think the #1 reason to have a Genesis is for the classic Sega arcade games. Space Harrier, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Afterburner, Outrun, Columns and so on.

--Zero

I assume the review is of the 5200 version . . .

So do I.

But, I don't see why it would be impossible, per se, it's a really simple game, and even the 5200 version is inexplicably dumbed down a little . . .
Well, I think the VCS may be a little short on processing power.

Most glaring issue: it'd have to find time to do a lot of area calculations for scoring purposes, which takes multiplication, which isn't a very friendly task for a CPU.

I don't really see a way to do a half-decent playfield either.

I suppose it might be possible to make a game kind of like Qix, but I wouldn't bet on anything better than Pac-Man, personally.

Though I do admit I'm not a VCS programmer. This is just my impression of things.

I suppose it might be possible to make a game kind of like Qix, but I wouldn't bet on anything better than Pac-Man, personally.

The closest thing you're likely to get to Qix on the 2600 is Amidar... and even that is a rather poor port.

--Zero