IGNORED

What did he say on Mortal Combat II..."Toasty"?

You know, when your going along braining your opponet, then suddenly a litle guy pops out of the corner and says something. Is it Toasty? Oopsey? What the hell is that? And why? Am I supposed to do something at that point? Who the hell is that guy? Whats the point?

I thought I had heard that he was one of the designers or something. Is that close or am I way off. And does his appearance have any significance?

It's too bad more games aren't as creative with their secret stuff as Mortal Kombat was... No other game ever had anywhere near the amount (or creativity) of rumors that MK did. Even Sheng Long didn't stand a chance.

It's also too bad that the Mortal Kombat games started sucking after the second one :(

--Zero

Well, I think the Midway guys got the hint fairly early that people liked crazy easter eggs like that. NBA Jam had a ton of them, and after all the rumors and crap with the first Mortal Kombat, they knew they had to one-up themselves when they did the sequel.

I mean hell, if you go into the diagnostic mode in MK2 (use MAME if you want), there's actually a counter for "Kano Transformations". This was never in the game of course, it's just a red herring to keep rumors going... some kid sees an arcade owner reboot the machine, and the next days he's at school saying "Holy fucking shit you guys!!! You really CAN do a Kano transformation!! The game even says so!!!! *head explodes*"

The original Mortal Kombat really didn't have many secrets... but the whole Reptile thing was huge. It was difficult, complicated, and impressive. People thought that was cool.

--Zero

I mean hell, if you go into the diagnostic mode in MK2 (use MAME if you want), there's actually a counter for "Kano Transformations". This was never in the game of course, it's just a red herring to keep rumors going... some kid sees an arcade owner reboot the machine, and the next days he's at school saying "Holy fucking shit you guys!!! You really CAN do a Kano transformation!! The game even says so!!!! *head explodes*"
Wasn't there a "Johnny Cage transformation" with MK3?

I played MK2 when it was being developed and knew one of the secret tester people online (they had a bunch of people that monitored online bulliten boards and local arcades to gauge player reactions as well as acting as beta testers.) MK2 went through a ton of revisions and fed off of player reactions to things as well as rumors (Babalities started as a rumor for example and was added in a couple of revisions later.) Mileena's teleport was also changed to make it harder to accidently do.

The story on Toasty was that the developers would yell it out when playing in the studio and decided to throw it into the game.

Those were good days. It was always exciting to see what was in the new revision.

Wasn't there a "Johnny Cage transformation" with MK3?

Nope. In fact, Daniel Pesina (the guy who played Johnny Cage) and Carlos Pesina (the guy who played Raiden) were both involved in a Data East game called Tattoo Assassins (which was never released, mostly because it really sucked. The prototype is playable in MAME if you're curious about it)... apparently, Midway didn't like this, so they cut the two of them out of MK3 entirely by hiring someone else to play Raiden, and killing off Johnny Cage entirely.

--Zero

K, more confusion. Wasn't Raiden cut out completly from MK3? Something about the elder gods not being allowed to interfere because they no longer had influence in the Earth realm? Hmmm, I think I'll go ahead and get the MK3 mame rom and check it out...

I remember back in 1994, when the home version of MK 2 came out, and Nintendo had finally learned their lesson and scrapped their squeaky clean policy, meaning SNES owners got the full arcade version they clamored for! The word 'TOASTY!!' became a fad in my school up to the point even saying it casually was disallowed.

Nevertheless, it's still a classic phrase in my mind.

Wasn't Raiden cut out completly from MK3?

Whoops, you're right... he's not in there. But there is a screen with him during the attract mode if I'm not mistaken (It's a full-screen picture with some storyline shown I think).

--Zero