IGNORED

The Second Great Video Game Crash

VidGameKing

I dont think theres a crash I just think that company's havent put out anything great in awhile.

What? There are TONS of great games out there, and there are more of them coming out all the time... in fact, I would say that there are more great games coming out more often now than at any other time in video game history. Not all of them are terribly original or innovative (most of them are sequels), but I can't remember the last time I went to EB and didn't see at least a dozen great games there that I would love to have bought.

There may be a lot of crap out there too, but there are plenty of great games to keep the industry flourishing.

--Zero

I don't think there'll be another VG crash. In fact, I'm sure there won't be. Just like the stock market crash of the 1920's and the more recent dot com internet business crash, these things have a tendency to happen one time before companies and individuals make adjustments to prevent it from happening again.

Now, there might be an Operating Systems crash where people rebel against Microsoft and turn to something else. But the chances of that are quite slim...

I don't think we are experiencing a crash. There are plenty of great games out there. Hell, I can't keep up with games I want to buy. I don't have the time and I can't afford it. It's just that the videogame market is oversaturated with software. There are TOO many games imo. Same thing with movies, they just pump them out non stop, with some really good movies being produced every now and then, just like videogames.

There are TOO many games imo.

just like in '82!

I see your point but I think you are wrong. The current state of gaming and the large variety of games todays is nothing like it was in 1982-84.

Back then games quality was overall bad and people were not buying. You could see bins full of unsold, discounted software in stores desperately trying to get rid of them. The less restrictive return policies back then hurt a lot of companies to the point that there was a general loss of interest in selling videogames.

In contrast, today's large game offerings is a sign of a growing business.

Not only the amount but the proliferation of genres. For example, genres like music games and horse sims are not favorites in the US but you can still buy them. You wouldn't have them in North America if the industry were not doing well. You can still see bins full of discounted, unsold software but you can also find large sections of used games that customers trade back to stores.

Many mistakes were made that lead to the crash, but the industry is a lot more organized now. That doesn't mean it could happen again, but to measure this just on the growing amount of games is misleading.

I know I stopped buying modern games. Especially when they first come out. Being unemployed I can't go around dropping 50 dollars on a game. I haven't bought a new game since Windwaker. And I beat that easily and sold it off already.

I still probly have 30 modern games for the NGC and PS2, but I hardly ever play them. I would rather just sit around and play atari anyday. And something classic like atari holds its value, you can't go out and sell a new game for 50 dollars again after it is used.

Actually, I'm surprised no company has tried to redo the Sega LCD glasses...didn't they work pretty well?  Better than typical red/blue stuff?

They have... http://amos.catalogcity.com/cc.class/cc?pc...4586274&ccsyn=1

These aren't the only brand. I've never seen a demo of them, and they only work with CRT's (I don't have any of those anymore...) but I've seen good reviews. These are wireless and light; I don't know how fast the shutters go but monitor refresh rates are certainly higher than TV's; I guess most 3D engines send enough data to the card that a modified nvidia driver can generate image pairs; overall, it seems like a neat idea that's finally cheap enough just as the display tech they depend on becomes obsolete.

I'm still psyched for possible gaming applications of those Sharp lenticular 3D LCD's myself. Maybe not VR, but maybe cooler.

ha... ha... ha... :| the Apple pippin.

okay yes, Microsoft has done nothing revolutionary. They only improved marketablity. Windows WAS a cheap knock off of MacOS But now Windows has grown beyond that. (I'm not saying it's better but you cant say that Windows XP is like MacOS 3.2)

okay yes, Microsoft has done nothing revolutionary.

Nothing revolutionary?

They took a HUGE gamble by including non-standard console features into the XBOX like broadband-only online play, a hard drive, etc. Look now...Sony is releasing hard drive and broadband add-ons as a way of responding to this. It's safe to say that thanks to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will be forced to think a bit differently when it comes to designing their next consoles. The old way of thinking in the console world was long due for a change.

I really don't think the conditions that caused the '84 crash are likely to repeat. Video games are a proven consistent money maker now, and it's highly unlikely retailers will abandon them in droves the way they did back in 84. It still was a new industry back then, and many retailers felt video gaming was a fad that would never come back.

Everyone takes for granted now that one generation of consoles arises to replace the older ones, with the older software becoming dirt cheap. But when 2600 software became terribly cheap due to good old supply and demand, and the 'next generation' of the 5200 and Colecovision didn't quite live up to the success of the 2600, it caused almost everyone to abandon video gaming for dead, even though it wasn't. Sure, sales slacked off from the phenomenal numbers of the past, but this had lots to do with people becoming tired of the 2600, and dissatisfied with the 5200 and Colecovision (with their small software libraries and terrible controllers.) Even the big video game companies, like Atari and Coleco, felt that the future was in computers, not video game consoles. (Thus the 7800 was shelved and the Adam was promoted way out of proportion to the Colecovision)

Basically, the crash was caused by an abandonment of video games by their makers and the retailers more than it truly was by consumers. When Nintendo stepped up to the plate and made a push against HUGE retailer resistance against video games, the public was more than happy to recieve them. Retailers are highly unlikely to just give up on video games again, and competition is too fierce for all the big makers to drop the ball at once ever again. Thus, in my humble opinion, a second video game crash is highly unlikely.

I'd say if there is another video game crash, it would be caused more by the consumers than the retailers. You know, when we go to buy the next gen console one day and say "Hell no way am I paying $1500 for this at launch!"

:)

So long as nintendo stays in the hardware race and keeps aiming for their magic $199.99 launch price, we'll be fine.

--

Mord

okay yes, Microsoft has done nothing revolutionary.

Nothing revolutionary?

They took a HUGE gamble by including non-standard console features into the XBOX like broadband-only online play, a hard drive, etc. Look now...Sony is releasing hard drive and broadband add-ons as a way of responding to this. It's safe to say that thanks to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will be forced to think a bit differently when it comes to designing their next consoles. The old way of thinking in the console world was long due for a change.

Yup I have said this many times. Even though the XB has not been successful sales wise, it has changed the face of gaming. Really all MS did was to take some steps Sega had done and pushed them better like online play. They also took elements on PC gaming and incorperated them to consoles. It's not real hard to see that Nintendo is about as fresh as a 3 day old diaper and that Sony can sell a condom to the Pope. Neither of those make for exciting gaming. Pretty much, any company coulda made the XB and I woulda been more than happy to own it. I'm just glad that somebody decided to up the ante instead of just following the crap that the others wanna make the standard in hardware. Not saying the PS2 is junk or the GC, but the direction they both wanna take is boring as hell. I can actually sit here and cringe at the thought of the future of games if Nintendo was still the powerhouse.......

But Sony and MS have added/are adding a bunch of frivolous crap, basically turning the gaming platforms into veritable media stations, and therefore driving up the price. I just want to play the games dammit!

Then the Gamecube is your answer.

Hell, even Nintendo goes out of its way to state this...a machine simply for playing games. More power to you, Nintendo.

But Sony and MS have added/are adding a bunch of frivolous crap, basically turning the gaming platforms into veritable media stations, and therefore driving up the price. I just want to play the games dammit!

Hell, even Nintendo goes out of its way to state this...a machine simply for playing games. More power to you, Nintendo.

What makes you think I don't have a gamecube ;) (although I only have 4 titles for it right now, as opposed to the absurd number I have for the playstation)

What makes you think I don't have a gamecube ;) (although I only have 4 titles for it right now, as opposed to the absurd number I have for the playstation)

So, you own many more games for the system you think has too much frivolous crap? Yet you complain about too much crap?

If somebody did a market survey by your purchases, guess which way the manufacturer would lean in their product development.

I'm still waiting to hear why the company who made the single most revolutionary product that changed everything is a bad thing entyering the games market.   :ponder:

Xerox is entering the console wars?

Yes, they just announced their new console, the " X Rox".

Built in copier to print out all of your high scores. May be prone to the typical PJE codes. Paper Jam error.

Their online service will be via fax, not internet. They are working out the lag times as we speak.

So, you own many more games for the system you think has too much frivolous crap? Yet you complain about too much crap?

If somebody did a market survey by your purchases, guess which way the manufacturer would lean in their product development.

You missunderstand. Well, at least don't know the whole story. Many of the games I have are PS/PS2 exclusive. So what, I'm just going to have do without just because of the system? No! Fuck that! I'm not that kind of gamer. I need those games (if I can get them). Call me weak, I don't care. I'm still going to buy the games, and the appropriate system.

I'm still waiting to hear why the company who made the single most revolutionary product that changed everything is a bad thing entyering the games market.   :ponder:

Xerox is entering the console wars?

Not quite, they're going to develop one but then they'll just give the plans away. :D

You missunderstand. Well, at least don't know the whole story. Many of the games I have are PS/PS2 exclusive. So what, I'm just going to have do without just because of the system? No! Fuck that! I'm not that kind of gamer. I need those games (if I can get them). Call me weak, I don't care. I'm still going to buy the games, and the appropriate system.

I'm really just arguing the "frivolous" remark. I would not consider any of the machines to have that. When the PS2 first came out, DVD penetration was not huge. It is today, but why redesign a console for that. The price would go up. The gamecube has no frills that I can think of. And the Xbox has an ethernet jack, which is absolutely needed for online play, which is something they always marketed as one of the demographics they wanted to hit. And the hard drive, which any fellow Live user would guarantee is essential for on line gaming (DL'S or PDL's with a memory card anyone?).

Frivolous to me would mean a bowtie on top, or forcing the eyetoy on the initial purchase.