IGNORED

Took apart Cybermorph cart...

Susuwatari

I had a few dupes of Cybermorph so I took apart the carts. The 2MB cart (with label J9000E 700700-2) has 2 ROM chips, both 42 pins. The bottom ROM is numbered 700500-002 and top is 700600-002. A third chip is a 1 Mbit serial EEPROM. The label peeled off very easily so I was able to open it up and put it back together with no visible label damage.

The 1MB version has 2 40 pins ROM (smaller chips). mThere is a solder pad for pin 1 and 42 of the larger ROM that aren't used so it's sasfe to assume those were for extra address line. The 1MB ROM chip number is 700500-003 and 700600-003. The label peels off in tiny little bits. It's almost impossible to open it without damaging the label. Fortunately this version seems to be th emost common.

The PCB board for both versions are exactly the same, just the holes for extra address line that aren't used.

I don't have the first label version (J9000 and 700700, no extension) so I don't know if the ROM number are the same or not. Also am I correct in assuming both ROM chip are 16 bits that are combined to form a 32 bit data? If so, it could be pin compatible with 16 bit EPROM chips.

You're right, it's two 16-bit chips combined to form a 32-bit databus. They do use JEDEC pinouts for the mask-ROMs; I believe the matching EPROM part is a 27C800 (256KB*16bit) so two of them make a 2MB cart. (or you could use two 27C400s for a 1MB cart).

4MB carts can use a pair of 27C160s to achieve 32-bit access; this is what BS and BSG do.

HTH :)

Stone