IGNORED

could the atari jaguar ever handle the quake engine??

Andreaus44

Hey, if the DS can do Quake, the Jaguar should be able to do it.

Alright this is horseshit. And what I mean by that is, for the DS, that's ONE GUY who ported Quake to the DS. And yet no one here has managed to pull off anything close to that on our Jaggy that we know of. Do we not love our Jaggy? Does this mean that DS owners/fans love their DS's more than the Jag fans love their Jags? Though he used the devkitARM r20 toolchain the system has only been out what, a few years, compared to the Jags 15 years?

:sad:

Alright this is horseshit. And what I mean by that is, for the DS, that's ONE GUY who ported Quake to the DS. And yet no one here has managed to pull off anything close to that on our Jaggy that we know of. Do we not love our Jaggy? Does this mean that DS owners/fans love their DS's more than the Jag fans love their Jags? Though he used the devkitARM r20 toolchain the system has only been out what, a few years, compared to the Jags 15 years?

well.. think about the cpu.. the ARM has been out in many forms.. the Jag's custom chips have not. There have been more chances for people to learn about ARM's then the Tom and Jerry set.

Edit: I bet when Gorf finally releases his C compiler and tool set we'll see more projects like this for the Jag

Edited by EmOneGarand

well.. think about the cpu.. the ARM has been out in many forms.. the Jag's custom chips have not. There have been more chances for people to learn about ARM's then the Tom and Jerry set.

Edit: I bet when Gorf finally releases his C compiler and tool set we'll see more projects like this for the Jag

I hope so. Though I dont remember him announcing a C compiler in the works.

And plus sometimes I just like to piss 'n moan ;)

Edited by JagChris

Actually, the DS cannot play anything before the GBA. The slot for some reason won't physically-accept classic Gameboy cartridges.

Directly, no. But the underlying hardware is 80% compatible, for familiarity's sake. They broke some key areas in the move to GBA due to some design limits in the original GB.

Mhh, the DS is much more powerfull than a Jaguar, when it comes to 3D ;)

It is?

*looks at his DS manual*

According to the manual, the DS is capable of only 2048 triangles/line, and that requires effectively locking up one of the CPU's. The Jag as/is can match that, but without locking up the CPU's. While yes, the DS can do more polys/second in theory, it doesn't have the memory bandwidth to pump out the peak. (sounds like the Jaguar in this regards)

Well, you just have to look at the DS games, even the first ones wich were released. You can't compare them to the 3D games on Jag. I'm not a dev at all, so I compare what I have on screen.

The DS when released had a better toolchain, I think we can all agree. Plus it is mostly compatible with the legacy Gameboy systems, which means you have decades of familiarity with it. Not the same case as the Jag, so you're into an apples/oranges situation.

So downix, in your opinion, the Jag aint that far from the type of games the DS can do, 3d wise?

I'd put it about halfway between the DS and GBA as far as capabilities go, closer to GBA due to the design flaws we all know and love....

question for everyone - Id love to see Quake on the Jag however I forgot how lousy FP3D games like this are with gamepads. Doom is a bit different since there is no up and down looking - however anything Ive tried on my XBox (Doom, Medal of Honor) - I cant move for ......(insert fav 4 letter word) - Im a mouser for these games on the PC - Im not sure how well the Jagpad would handle a game like this?

Thanks Jagchris for the Quake link - Quake at 1900x1200 is awesome - am reliving some good ole times now :)

question for everyone - Id love to see Quake on the Jag however I forgot how lousy FP3D games like this are with gamepads. Doom is a bit different since there is no up and down looking - however anything Ive tried on my XBox (Doom, Medal of Honor) - I cant move for ......(insert fav 4 letter word) - Im a mouser for these games on the PC - Im not sure how well the Jagpad would handle a game like this?

Thanks Jagchris for the Quake link - Quake at 1900x1200 is awesome - am reliving some good ole times now :)

If someone ever gets the balls to port Quake, I'll donate the necesary code

to add mouse control. Its already written and on the DSP. Its no different

than the code you need to read VCS driving controllers...you are just

reading two higher rez units instead. Im already reading FOUR from

one port so two wont be an issue.

If someone ever gets the balls to port Quake, I'll donate the necesary code

to add mouse control. Its already written and on the DSP. Its no different

than the code you need to read VCS driving controllers...you are just

reading two higher rez units instead. Im already reading FOUR from

one port so two wont be an issue.

For me, I'd rather not use a mouse for it so much than a pointerpad, like one of those thumb mini-controllers on the DC controller.

For me, I'd rather not use a mouse for it so much than a pointerpad, like one of those thumb mini-controllers on the DC controller.

There is no reason you cant have a choice.

But there is no Jag controller with it.... yet. 8)

Altho Quake would give the Jag the ultimate use for the numberpad, weapon selection.

Hey, if the NGage (i tought it didnt have 3d dedicated hardware) can do Quake, why cant the Jag?

:P

Hey, if the Genesis can do a pixel perfect port of Duke Nukem 3D http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECFldwaIHQc , why cant the Jag do it?. I have a question for the seasoned Jag coders, if you used all the might of Tom and Jerry, do you think the Jag could come close to the Genesis Blast Processing mode, while still being able to display 61 colors, and do as good a port of Duke as the Genny did? :D

By the way, it seems those Quake ports for DS need more ram the the console has onboard. I didnt know there were carts with extra ram for it.

Hey, if the Genesis can do a pixel perfect port of Duke Nukem 3D http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECFldwaIHQc , why cant the Jag do it?

I've played that and it's hardly pixel perfect.

By the way, it seems those Quake ports for DS need more ram the the console has onboard. I didnt know there were carts with extra ram for it.

Only Quake II needs a RAM cart, Quake I works perfectly fine in the DS's tiny 4 meg of memory. The DS Browser uses a RAM cart and there are other less than legal ones too.

Only Quake II needs a RAM cart, Quake I works perfectly fine in the DS's tiny 4 meg of memory. The DS Browser uses a RAM cart and there are other less than legal ones too.

I see. Gotta get a DS, the more i look into it, the more attractive i find it.

Jag could come close to the Genesis Blast Processing mode, while still being able to display 61 colors, and do as good a port of Duke as the Genny did? :D

You are kidding right? Because if not, I think you are the FIRST to actually buy that Blast Prcessing crap. :D

Jag will bitch slap the genny at anything....that's right...I said anything.

Jag could come close to the Genesis Blast Processing mode, while still being able to display 61 colors, and do as good a port of Duke as the Genny did? :D

You are kidding right? Because if not, I think you are the FIRST to actually buy that Blast Prcessing crap. :D

Jag will bitch slap the genny at anything....that's right...I said anything.

Just keep it down Gorf, there might be some SNES fans on this forum, and they cant know it was just marketing crap ;) .