IGNORED

Virtual VCS for atari jaguar

Dragonforce-Europe

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote the 6502 core part of Virtual VCS (runs on Tom), and although we heard that those at Atari who saw it were impressed, they kept stalling on our contract to finish it. We later found out that Atari had long-time employee Dave Staugas working on an emulator too. Dave never finished his either, but it explains why Atari kept putting us off.

Funny thing... I may have been the guy who gave Dave the idea! I met him at CES, back when they were allowing "ordinary people" in. I met him at the Jaguar display, and at some point I mentioned wishing Atari would remember their old games, and put them on a cartridge of something. At this point Dave said "it wouldn't have to be hardware", and began explaining how it (i.e. emulation) could be done in software. Then he got this really pensive look, but it wasn't until years later that I found out that he'd actually been working on it! I was SO disappointed that he didn't finish it though...

I wrote the 6502 core part of Virtual VCS (runs on Tom), and although we heard that those at Atari who saw it were impressed, they kept stalling on our contract to finish it. We later found out that Atari had long-time employee Dave Staugas working on an emulator too. Dave never finished his either, but it explains why Atari kept putting us off.

Funny thing... I may have been the guy who gave Dave the idea! I met him at CES, back when they were allowing "ordinary people" in. I met him at the Jaguar display, and at some point I mentioned wishing Atari would remember their old games, and put them on a cartridge of something. At this point Dave said "it wouldn't have to be hardware", and began explaining how it (i.e. emulation) could be done in software. Then he got this really pensive look, but it wasn't until years later that I found out that he'd actually been working on it! I was SO disappointed that he didn't finish it though...

I love to see Hangman, Math, Star Voyager and others games, all on the JAG one day!

Funny thing...  I may have been the guy who gave Dave the idea!

Hummm... :)

Well, Atari never told us that they had someone else working on it. I forget how we eventually found out. I spoke to Dave about it years later, but he's not an easy guy to talk to. I sent him a demo of our work, and we never heard from him again. Oh well...

-Bry

Is STella on the MAC? Can't the MAC ver. be ported over to the Jag? :?

Yes it is, but it's not based on the current version of Stella and needs an update in a bad way. Many newer homebrew games that use "illegal" opcodes won't run on it, and it doesn't support the HID (Human Interface Device) Manager under OS X so you can't use any controllers with it.

..Al