IGNORED

Anyone here a Shining Force fan?

Hell yeah count me in! :D I love Shining Force.. actually I like a lot of those strategy type games where you have different units and do battle.. like Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, Military Madness, Advance Wars, etc.

Although I think for Shining Force, I prefer the CD and Gamegear versions where it's mostly pure battles. In Shining Force I&II, although I liked the RPG elements maybe 10 years ago where you have to walk around towns etc, these days, I'd just rather fight.

But count me in as a Shining Force fan :)

I'm a big fan of Shining Force.

I own Shining Force 1, Shining Force 2, and Shining Force CD (which is a compilation of the Game Gear games). I used to own the US Shining Force 3, but I gave it to a friend when I no longer had a Saturn.

IMO, Shining Force CD is the best, followed closely by Shining Force 1. I didn't like the exploration elements or random battles in Shining Force 2. And Shining Force 3 didn't have very fun missions. Plus, while the friend-system was neat, I felt the implementation could have been a lot better. Overall, SF2 and 3 just added things that diluted the game and degraded the fun factor. The fact that SF3 was incomplete as far as the US was concerned certainly didn't help either.

There are other semi-related games to Shining Force. They are:

Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) = An old school corridor whomper like the classic Wizardry or Bard's Tale games. It has only a slight console RPG style twist to it.

Shining and the Holy Ark (Saturn) = In a similar style to Shining in the Darkness, the old school corridor whomper gets a console RPG remake. This time the console RPG stylings are a bit more pronounced.

Shining Soul (GBA) = YAZSG or Yet Another Zelda Style Game.

Supposedly theses games are all set in the same world. They do all have a similar style about them.

I own all the games you listed except for Shining Force CD & Shining Soul. I never had a sega CD so I've never even played that version. I want to pick up Shining Soul before it's HTF. Also there is a Shining Soul II supposedly coming out here in the US soon. I also have the Game gear Shining Force Sword of Hayja CIB!! Anyway I'm the opposite of you Gabriel. I liked SFII because you could wander around in the game. (I never did find all 15 pieces of hidden mithril though. :sad: And I still have yet to find someone that can tell me if you can open the chests in Mitula's castle during that battle!! I've tried but cannot get them open!! :? Does anyone know if Fire Emblem for the GBA is similar to SF?? I'd really like to know. Oh, also the Golden Sun games on GBA were made by Camelot for the GBA who also made the SF games. They are great!! I think Shining Wisdom on the Saturn was also part of the Shining series but I'm not sure.