IGNORED

The making of AvP

owen

For everyone in the UK the new issue of Edge has a four page feature on the making of AvP (although two of those pages are just a big picture of a facehugger).

It's well worth a read, and one of the caption, quoting one of the head guys at Rebellion claims that 'one programmer came and went pretty quickly, as he just couldn't do the maths, the game is fondly remembered enough for him to still be claiming to have been 'lead' on the project though!" Anyone have any idea who this could be?

I understood James "Purple" Hampton to be the producer, not a programmer. There is an old article in either May or June of '94 EGM magazine that has a lot of early Jaguar coverage in it. "Inside Rebellion" is the title of a 3 or 4 page spread on Rebellion, that interviewed the programmers mainly about AvP, but also about Checkered flag, Legions of the undead and HammerHead(Skyhammer). The names and positions are given in that article. Clint Thompson currently has my copy of this article and if he reads this, maybe he could verify all this and give the names of the programmers.

IIRC I read in a past GamePro a 2-pg story on "Purple" in an interview format, w/ some about how an early build of AvP was going, etc. & how he got his nickname- everything he wore that day was purple. I remember the article was printed on a purple background & was hard to read.

When the original post mentioned "lead on the project" I thought of it.

For everyone in the UK the new issue of Edge has a four page feature on the making of AvP (although two of those pages are just a big picture of a facehugger).  

It's well worth a read, and one of the caption, quoting one of the head guys at Rebellion claims that 'one programmer came and went pretty quickly, as he just couldn't do the maths, the game is fondly remembered enough for him to still be claiming to have been 'lead' on the project though!"  Anyone have any idea who this could be?

Is it Andrew Whittakker? Do I win a prize if I guess right?