IGNORED

Sinclair Spectrum and Amstrad in the US?

Lord-Chaos

I wonder if these 2 systems were available in the US?

The Sinclair Spectrum , which was available as 16K, 48K, 128K machine and later as +3 with 3" drive.

A Z80 based machine from the UK, which sold well in the Uk, bu was available everywhere in Europe.

and the Amstrad CPC 464/664/6128 (and the Plus models) , another Z80 based-machine which used built-in cassette drives or built-in 3" drives.

I think the Amstrad was most successful in France, but also in Germany and the UK.

Especially the Spectrum has many 3D games, wireframe or isometric, unfortunately 99% is cassette-only.

The Amstrad unfortunately got many 1:1 Spectrum ports, but it´s graphics is not bad, in some cases better than ATARI 800 or C64 - but has no scrolling/sprites (same for the Spectrum).

Both machines are very common in Europe and are quite cheap on flea-markets.

BTW: What about MSX-Systems in the US ? In Europe, some like the Sony Hitbit or a Philipps System were available for some time, but not successful - but there are many Japanese games on cartridge from Konami for example.

Thimo

The ZX81 was pretty popular in North America (for a few years), and I'm sure a few owners upgraded their systems to newer and more powerful Spectrum models in the mid '80s. I do, in any case, run across the odd QL or ZX Spectrum occasionally at thrift stores or garage sales.

I never did see Amstrad or MSX machines being sold in brick-and-mortar stores in the '80s.

I wonder if these 2 systems were available in the US?

The Sinclair Spectrum , which was available as 16K, 48K, 128K machine and later as +3 with 3" drive.

A Z80 based machine from the UK, which sold well in the Uk, bu was available everywhere in Europe.

The Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX81) was my first computer. I still have 4 of them. The Timex Sinclair 2068 ( http://www.particles.org/ts/DSCF0036.JPG ) was basically a 48K Sinclair Spectrum with a different memory configuration. You could buy a cartridge that would remap RAM correctly and allow you to run Spectrum software.

BTW: What about MSX-Systems in the US ? In Europe, some like the Sony Hitbit or a Philipps System were available for some time, but not successful - but there are many Japanese games on cartridge from Konami for example.

The place I bought my DX7 at (piano/organ store in a mall) circa 1983 also tried to sell us the Yamaha MSX "music computer". I had just gotten a c64 and was appalled at how lousy the MSX seemed for the exorbitant price.