IGNORED

Mattel Handheld World Championship Football power question

Hello all, I recently received one of these off of ebay. It's in great mumified condition with the box, wrapping, instructions and to my surprise 10+ year old batteries. :x Needless to say there was corrosion all over. First off, whats the best way to clean that pasty acid off the contacts? I did the best I could with some sandpaper but when I tried new batteries, it's dead. I still notice some on the contacts though, so I definately have missed some.

I notice there is a jack of some kind at the top of this thing. However, neither the box nor instructions mention it. Can I plug an adapter into this thing and if so, what kind?

Hopefully someone can help as this thing looks like it could be a blast to play.

Thanks all. Cheers. :D

You may want to neutralize the corrosion. Most people assume baking/soda and water but of course this handheld would have used alkaline batteries so you need an acid to neutralize it. Try vinegar, but be sure to use it sparingly and it doesn't leak into the machine.

The best thing to use is a Radio Shack contact cleaner,

Baking soda is a base, so you use it for an acidic (such as a car) battery. Alkaline batteries are a base, so you need an acid (vinegar) to remove it.

You might get results from baking soda, but only because of the friction from rubbing the contacts with a q-tip, the soda wont help at all,