IGNORED

New Interview with the creator of ET, Yars, Revenge, etc.

Atari Charles

I just sent an email off to the person in charge of the current Alamogordo landfill asking:

There's an old legend amongst classic videogame enthusiasts that Atari dumped 14 truckloads of unsold videogames at the Alamogordo city dump, circa 1983.

1) At what location was this dump

2) Can you either confirm or deny this rumor?

We want to put an end to the speculation of this 'urban legend' once and for all.

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.

Will keep you posted. :)

I'm sure that they enjoyed getting bombarded with similar letters since the 80's :lol:

Don't hold your breath for a response.

How many people do you think really emailed them or asked them?

Are you kidding?? This was a gaming news "hot topic" back in the day. AtariAge magazine themselves posted an article about it IIRC. Only Atari Corp. knew how many $ worth of product that was scrapped...that is usually something that isn't made public (the shareholders would just be interested in the bottom line...if they hadn't scrapped what they claimed, that would have been a fraud issue).

I'm sure that they enjoyed getting bombarded with similar letters since the 80's :lol:

Don't hold your breath for a response.

How many people do you think really emailed them or asked them?

Are you kidding?? This was a gaming news "hot topic" back in the day. AtariAge magazine themselves posted an article about it IIRC. Only Atari Corp. knew how many $ worth of product that was scrapped...that is usually something that isn't made public (the shareholders would just be interested in the bottom line...if they hadn't scrapped what they claimed, that would have been a fraud issue).

Be honest, I only ever heard about it 5 years ago.

At any rate, I'm having fun, so nyah nyah nyah! :P

If this is true, I didn't see where the city landfill is specifically located on your maps there Inky. However, if the landfills are anything like the ones here in Tulsa, I would be checking those Quarries to the East of town in the hills. All of our landfills for Tulsa are in old rock quarries...Also the gravel pits in the lower Southeastern part could be promising.

I couldn't look any further north on the map than what it first comes up with as all the links at the top bleed over onto the java window and cover up the green up arrow on it.

Still...I say look to the East/Southeast...

:ponder:

I recall when I used to work for Precision...and the amount of inventory that we scrapped (GOOD product...huge stainless-steel butterfly valves, Honda generators, you name it). The reason - it wasn't worth the space it took up, and wasn't worth the cost of disassembly to get a salvage price on it. The actual numbers were never posted to the shareholders...just to the inspectors.

If this is true, I didn't see where the city landfill is specifically located on your maps there Inky. However, if the landfills are anything like the ones here in Tulsa, I would be checking those Quarries to the East of town in the hills. All of our landfills for Tulsa are in old rock quarries...Also the gravel pits in the lower Southeastern part could be promising.

I couldn't look any further north on the map than what it first comes up with as all the links at the top bleed over onto the java window and cover up the green up arrow on it.

Still...I say look to the East/Southeast...

That's what I'm thinking. Just south of town, there's a huge gravel pit. I'm wondering about that one.

Even if the landfill reported in that article were still being used, it has 20+ years of more crap loaded ontop of the cement. However, I just thought of something, you can't put a landfill where the land can't be filled right? So it is possible that they could have built houses or something else over it. I also saw that large gravel pit. However, I bet that is pretty current. I still say the hills, because if Atari wanted it hushed and difficult to find, the quarry in the hills would be the best bet.

But I thought HSW already pretty much debunked this whole story?

:?

Even if the landfill reported in that article were still being used, it has 20+ years of more crap loaded ontop of the cement. However, I just thought of something, you can't put a landfill where the land can't be filled right? So it is possible that they could have built houses or something else over it. I also saw that large gravel pit. However, I bet that is pretty current. I still say the hills, because if Atari wanted it hushed and difficult to find, the quarry in the hills would be the best bet.

But I thought HSW already pretty much debunked this whole story?

:?

Well, the 1983 article from the NY Times that I posted one page back struck me as interesting.

Of course its also interesting that I haven't heard this reported anywhere else.

I found a couple of satellite photos from 1996. I'm not sure where the "landfill" or "gravel pit" is on here, but I thought I'd contribute in aid of solving the mystery.

Map Link #1 Alamogordo NM

click here

Map Link #2 Alamogordo-White Sands Regional Airport NM

click here

At least its photos with only 12+ years of pile up on it!

Hmm. Looks like not only Atari cartridges were buried under concrete in Alamogordo, New Mexico

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/ham.html

Ham was the world's first AstroChimp, and the first free creature in outer space. He blasted off from Cape Canaveral on January 31, 1961, and traveled 155 miles in 16.5 minutes before splashing down safely in the Atlantic. The first American human to orbit the earth, John Glenn, was rewarded with a seat in the US Senate. Ham's reward was an apple.  

After his space mission, Ham lived in the National Zoo in Washington, DC, for 17 years. Fretting animal activists worried that he languished there, a lonely superstar with a single tire hanging from his ceiling. So in 1981 Ham was moved to a zoo in North Carolina. There he socialized with other chimps, and found a special lady chimp to love. He died, peacefully, of old age on January 19, 1983, at age 27.  

Ham's body was shipped west, and is buried in the front lawn of the International Space Hall of Fame in Alamogordo, NM, under the first slab of natural-tone concrete poured in Otero County.  

My lord based off those ariel satellite shots....looking for that spot (If it does exist) is gonna be like looking for the Ark of the Covenant in the secret D.C. Warehouse...

The quarries aren't in use as I suspected...at least they weren't in 96. It also appears there might be some sort of road that leads "into" the hills on one south side. However, nothing else there really looked viable.

The smaller gravel pits in the southeast are another story. There are so many little spots that appear to be flat that could be just the gravel, or concrete. Hard to tell. And the big pit that Inky saw appears to be fresh in that photo as I suspected. What about the white sands themselves?

Hmm. The question here, is how large were the trucks that were used, and how full were they really? Also, how deep or large a hole would they have dug to dump 14 trucks worth into? I would think that 14 trucks hold quite a bit, and that if the hole were made shallow then, the area would be big enough to see from the air (Unless covered over by now). Or, if deep how deep would they go?

Man...buried space chimps and now a NY Times article as a lead towards the hidden ETs. I see a TLC or Sci-Fi channel special in the works.. :ponder: