IGNORED

O2's Bezerk...er, I mean AMOK!

PickAxePete

:D

I got home from work yesterday and Mr. John D's AMOK! was delivered to my door (mailbox).

I did get a chance to play the game last night and for an O2 game, it's very different and challenging.

Is there no way to kill Smileybot? I've gotten to level five and can't seem to get passed it b/c Smileybot comes out right near my exit. :sad:

I may just be a bad Bezerk player.

Since my GF is staying home tonight and since I'm not feeling up to par, I think tonight will be Friday Night Video(game)s and I'll try to increase my skill level at some of these games.

Right now, the ones I play most since returning to O2 world.

Killer Bees (addicting)

K.C.'s Krazy Chase (frustrating, but challenging)

Attack of the Timelord (frustrating, but challenging)

Pick Axe Pete (I have to improve. I have to)

and now AMOK! (grrrrr! dang smileybot!)

A roommate would come in handy for O2 games since many are 2 players, but I live alone. :( I have to read up learn to play COTW & QFTR, since they need at least 2 people and seem like fun.

Soren, where is KTAA!!! :?:

Amok is a great homebrew, I really enjoy all of John's Vectrex homebrews as well. www.classicgamecreations.com

I think by design, Mr. Smiley i.e. Evil Otto is indestrucible in the Berzerk games, part of the charm :)

And you live in NYC? There's 8 million people to play with, try to find some other classic gamers to team up with. Just last week I ran into a friend who I didn't know was that into classic games, I got him hooked on the old stuff again, made him a Mame CD and now we are trying to get together every week for some multiplayer.

A new game for the O2.

Since I always liked Cosmic Conflict as a kid, but now realize it is not challenging, I wonder if some game creator (which is certainly not me) would do a Cosmic Conflict II.

The game would be similar to CC original, but.

1) Each completed round increases in difficulty

2) The Tie Fighters can sometimes appear two at a time.

3) The boring ships will start to turn at you and shoot at you.

4) Maybe give yourself a defense shield that will weaken.

5) The game doesn't end after completion. It continues and gets more difficult.

Maybe work with the time on the bottom right. You get a lot of time. If you can killed, you lose time on the clock. When you complete a round, you continue with the time you left off at. Game ends when time runs out. You are judged by number of rounds you complete.

I don't know.

But something more could certianly have been done with Cosmic Conflict. :D

Just my suggestion.

I got home from work yesterday and Mr. John D's AMOK! was delivered to my door (mailbox).

Is there no way to kill Smileybot? I've gotten to level five and can't seem to get passed it b/c Smileybot comes out right near my exit.  :sad:  

Right now, the ones I play most since returning to O2 world.

Killer Bees (addicting)

K.C.'s Krazy Chase (frustrating, but challenging)

Attack of the Timelord (frustrating, but challenging)

Pick Axe Pete (I have to improve. I have to)

and now AMOK! (grrrrr! dang smileybot!)

Soren, where is KTAA!!! :?:

Yes, Amok is one cool game. Would have sold well I think if it had come out in the early 80's. As for the Smiley - like in Berzerk, is not killable.

As for the game you mentioned..

Killer Bees - Very cool game! Voice is kind of nice, but doesn't add that much too it.

Attack of the TimeLord- Love it! It's hard, but still fun!

Pick Axe Pete - favorite O2 game. I think version 6 (press '6') is the easiest to play and get good scores!

Myself, I like UFO the best. Many people don't care for the way you aim and shoot, but for some reason I have no problem with it at all. Very addictive. Only wish you have more than one life :(

The one life in O2 games is very frustrating. I don't like how my score is always so low in the KC games, PAP and Timelords.

After taking a much needed nap after work (I think I had a slight cold and was not feeling great), I made dinner then spent the night playing my Odyssey2. It was 12:30 by the time I shut it off.

I still can't get passed Level 4 on AMOK!

I think the option of killing all the robots should make Smileybot harmless.

(Or at least, if you kill all the robots, you have the ability to shoot smileybot and freeze him for five seconds or something).

Usually when he shows, I've killed maybe three or four robots and try to escape before getting them all.

I played Dynasty last night too, as well as Matchmaker, Buzzword, Logix. In Logix, I guessed a number in six tries. I'm sure that'll never happen again. :)

I think some of the "educational" games are pointless. I can't imagine paying $20 for Keyboard Creations and Type & Tell. Little kids may enjoy I've Got Your Number, but what a silly game (I did get a lot of games when I bought my O2 off ebay).

I also played Alien Invaders and lost 10 to 8. But I am getting better. At first, I didn't like it as much as Space Invaders, and now that I'm getting better, I'm starting to enjoy it more. UFO I didn't play last night. I'll have to give it some more time, because I do find it frustrating with the firing. And Freedom Fighters I'll explore soon too, but I want to try and get the hang of a few games at a time.

If these classic games get frustrating for me, I can only imagine how frustrated Rogue Squadron for GameCube for me.

;)

I don't own an O2, but I really like the looks and obvious achievement of Amok. I find it much more interesting for a homebrewer to create something great for the primitive systems than for the 5200 or Coleco. There's a special kind of artisty involved in reducing a game to its essential elements.

When I did have access to an O2, I was all about KC Munchkin, UFO, Attack of the Timelords and a fun Defender rip-off whose name Im forgetting.

Freedom Fighters indeed. That was it. Perhaps many would be unimpressed, but I love that primitive charm. I"m still admiring that Amok homebrew, is that from the same guy who was making O2 Pac-Man but quit because the O2 can't show yellow?

Am I alone in thinking that Quest for the Rings was a weak game? The extra toys and game board are cool, but its not fun to play unless you just plag it in to kill random monsters.

Frankly, I always thought Amok! was kind of weak... your character moves much too fast, which lets you run circles around Evil Otto, the enemies movement is rather jerky, and your character doesn't animate at all. I'm not well versed on the capabilities of the O^2, so really think Berzerk could be done better (not necessarily by ME, of course... I'm more of an "idea man" :roll: )

--Zero

Is Logix a Mastermind clone .. Ie Codebreaker?

Sounds like it is.

The computer picks a 5 digit code.

You enter 5 Numbers.

The computer tells you how many numbers you got right

and how many are in the right order.

And you keep guessing until it says: 5/5

You know, I don't know why I hear the Odyssey can't produce yellow yellow.

Pick Axe Pete, for one, has a yellow board level.

As for Freedom Fighters, I have to play it again. I tried it once. But as I was saying, I don't want to bombard myself with so many games at once. When I was ten, I had only nine cartridges to enjoy. Today, I have thirty-five! 8)

Freedom Fighters indeed. That was it.  Perhaps many would be unimpressed, but I love that primitive charm.  I"m still admiring that Amok homebrew, is that from the same guy who was making O2 Pac-Man but quit because the O2 can't show yellow?

No, John Dondzila made Amok; I was the quitter. :D

You know' date=' I don't know why I hear the Odyssey can't produce yellow yellow.

Pick Axe Pete, for one, has a yellow

I'd love to be proven wrong with an NTSC screenshot, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of orange, which i what most people are thinking of when they ask this.

The PAL version (Videopac) could show yellow though, I think.

• 11 years later...