IGNORED

Stack-Up for NES question.

shaggy

This is for all you NES freaks out there: I recently purchased Stack-Up for the NES. Well I fire it up and the title screen says Robot Blocks. Is this correct? Seeing I never played this game before I'm not sure but the gameplay was weird so I'm thinking this isn't really Stack-Up. Tell me what's up peeps!

I bet it is correct. I also am willing to bet it has a famicom to NES adapter in it.

Your getting the robot blocks title screen because Nintendo used the famicom version boards in many of the first US release games. Gyromite is another. Anyway, Robot blocks is most likely the Japanese name of the game and so you actually have a Japanese famicom board in the cart which in turn is plugged into a Famicom to NES adpater to be played on the US NES systems.

I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remeber Stack-Up being one of the many games to feature these adapters in them.

:?

I bet it is correct. I also am willing to bet it has a famicom to NES adapter in it.

Not necessarily.

Your getting the robot blocks title screen because Nintendo used the famicom version boards in many of the first US release games. Gyromite is another. Anyway, Robot blocks is most likely the Japanese name of the game and so you actually have a Japanese famicom board in the cart which in turn is plugged into a Famicom to NES adpater to be played on the US NES systems.

I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remeber Stack-Up being one of the many games to feature these adapters in them.

:?

It's actually a shining example of minimum effort.

Even full US carts have the japanese title screen.

My copy of Gyromite/Robot Gyro is on a US board, and has the japanese title screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually just going through all my first generation NES games looking for an adapter and had no luck. I own all of them except DK Jr. Math and Stack-Up, and none of them had an adapter. I'm actually quite shocked that Nintendo didn't even bother to change the title screen on the US board version of Gyromite, but then again as you said ROB was a throw away.

Actually I'm kinda bothered at the fact that I never noticed the title screen said Robot Gyro until about 2 years ago. I guess I never paid attention to the title screen when I was a kid. Gotta wonder why the game is in 100% English though. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be in Japanese?

Tempest

I was actually just going through all my first generation NES games looking for an adapter and had no luck.  I own all of them except DK Jr. Math and Stack-Up, and none of them had an adapter.  I'm actually quite shocked that Nintendo didn't even bother to change the title screen on the US board version of Gyromite, but then again as you said ROB was a throw away.

Actually I'm kinda bothered at the fact that I never noticed the title screen said Robot Gyro until about 2 years ago.  I guess I never paid attention to the title screen when I was a kid.  Gotta wonder why the game is in 100% English though.  Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be in Japanese?  

Tempest

I think they used english letters because it was easier with the available hardware.

That or because it looked "high tech"(the more likely answer, knowing game developers).

A lot of old japanese games use basic english(or a mangled form of it).

No really good reason evident.