IGNORED

Psygnosis Blood Money

You just inspired me to download the MOD music from the game, and a Mod player for OS X (CocoModX). Haven't heard this in a long time.. "The biggest unanswered question is Where Is The Money?" I found the MODs here:

Game Music Base: Blood Money

You should have no problems finding a MOD player or Windows, Linux and OS X. I have a WinAmp module for playing MODs (and related files) in Windows, and it took me two seconds to find CocoModX for OS X.

..Al

I've never tried MOD files, how is the sound quality when compared to MP3 or Ogg? Yes, I'll soon try it myself, but I'd love an overall opinion of the format.

Many people tell me they can't hear the difference between an MP3 and the mastered track. They must not be paying attention because I can tell the difference immediately.

MOD files are much older than MP3 and Ogg, so they're definitely not going to sound as good.

Man, that brings back memories. The Commodore Amiga truly, truly kicked ass. Fantastic audio capabilities. A friend of mine had an Amiga 2000, and he had speakers on each wall (the Amiga could do 4-channel stereo out of the box, back when it came out in 1985!) and he played some audio files. The one I was impressed by was the rainfall sound. It really sounded like you were in the middle of a storm. Exactly what you wanted to hear while in the middle of a Texas drought.

I'm going to search all over that site and get some more Amiga MODs. Psygnosis games always had incredible music, and i've been wanting to listen to some of it for a while.

MOD files are much older than MP3 and Ogg, so they're definitely not going to sound as good.

However, if the original music was created in MOD format (as I presume Blood Money was), then the music should sound virtually identical to how it did on the Amiga. High quality MODs can sound quite good and I'd be willing to bet better than MP3s in some cases, as long as high-quality samples are used for the instruments.

It's hard to compare MODs directly with MP3s. A MOD consists of samples (digital audio) of various instruments used in the song, which are then played at the proper notes, duration, with effects, and so forth, to produce the complete song. As opposed to an MP3, which is simply a digital recording. If you take a MOD track and convert it to MP3, it won't be as good as the MOD due to MP3's lossy nature.

..Al

I downloaded CocoModX and have been listening to MODs. I downloaded the files for Shadow Of The Beast, but it didn't have the intro music. And the music from the attract mode from the game Leander wasn't in the file. Those were two of the most memorable.

The MOD of Blood Money doesn't sound all that great because their digitised sound effects aren't of the highest quality. But some of the other files sound absolutely incredible. Thanks for providing the link!

The MOD of Blood Money doesn't sound all that great because their digitised sound effects aren't of the highest quality. But some of the other files sound absolutely incredible. Thanks for providing the link!

I'm sure you can find these files on other sites, that just happens to be the first one I found when I looked on Google (I searched for "psygnosis blood money music"). Now that I have a MOD player installed again, I may need to track down some more music. Such as Shadow of the Beast..

..Al

Didn't I answer this exact same question over on the DP boards like, a week or two ago?

I don't belong to the DP boards. I've tried reading some of their threads, but it seems a little more chaotic than here. Plus, AtariAge is run by Texans. I've gotta root for the locals. 8)

Awesome music!!!

And Shadow of the Beast!!! Incredible!!!

I'd put that game on just to hear the music!!

David Whitaker.. Looked him up. The guys unreal...

From an Interview with him:

----------------------------------

For how many products did you write music, and on which systems?

David: Approximately 800 tunes - I'd say about 100 Commodore 64, 100 Spectrum, 100 Amstrad, 50 Atari 8-bit, 90 Commodore Amiga, at least 130 Atari ST and 50 others (MSX, VIC 20 and BBC for example). Perhaps less well-known is the below list...

----------------------------------

And they're not all junk games.. It's an impressive list...

When I think of the Amiga, the word "groundbreaking" just comes to mind. And the Psygnosis music is part of that..

Of course, the intro to 'Gods' and 'Xenon II: Megablast' were also great, as well as a bunch of other stuff...

desiv

Although, come to think of it, I'd have to give the edge (at least in 'time') to Paul Norman's spooky music for the 'Forbidden Forest' series...

p.s. Heads Up..

Got another fake eBay email with a link asking for financial information.. Another phishing scam using the IE address bar proxy loophole. I hope everyone has told their parents (insert any non-tech-savy friend/relative here) to watch out.. These things get a few people each time.. :-(

Forbidden Forest's unofficial web site. They don't play the entire song, but it's still a nice job for the site's Flash intro.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forbiddenforest/index.htm

Quick edit: If you check here, you can download the SID file for the original music. It plays slower than I remember. I don't know if it's just my bad memory or the player's not handling it right.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forbiddenforest...media.htm#music

Quick edit: If you check here, you can download the SID file for the original music. It plays slower than I remember. I don't know if it's just my bad memory or the player's not handling it right.

I just downloaded it, and a SIDPlayer.. It did seem slow..

But the SIDPlayer showed the song as 1 out of 18 in the file.

I clicked ahead, and song 4 was too short, but much closer to the speed I think you remember!!!

desiv

I don't know of any MOD->MP3 converter, but it should be easy enough to convert the MOD to a WAV, and then convert the WAV into an MP3.

You'll lose quality by converting it to an MP3 though... and the file size will skyrocket.

--Zero