IGNORED

Pitfall Harry coming to a classroom near you

sku_u

Hey All,

As an educator/administrator, I get a ton of unsolicited mail at work. While most of the mail ends up in the round file, occasionally something interesting crosses my desk.

Activision in conjunction with LearningWorks, LLC recently unveiled a curriculum package that can be used to incorporate the upcoming Pitfall game Pitfall: The Lost Expedition into the 4,5,6 SS/Science curriculum. This package comes with a poster, 4 reproducable activity sheets, several lesson plans, and a certificate of achievement.

Additionally, there is an interactive web page students can use in the classroom:

http://www.pitfallharry.com/activitypages/

Here are some digital pictures of some of the items included in this set:

post-2394-1076357834_thumb.jpg

post-2394-1076357835_thumb.jpg

post-2394-1076357836_thumb.jpg

post-2394-1076357837_thumb.jpg

That is neat, sku_u. :cool: My mother is an elementary school teacher. I'll pass this information on to her. I bet that would make kids very interested in learning. Too bad it's just South America.........or is it? In any case learning about South America is highly pertinent with the rise of the Spanish language and Hispanic citizens in the United States. It would still be a good lesson for South America alone.

But the new Pitfall game is again *yawn* soul-less 3D sh*t.

Actually, have you read PS2 Extreme? Reviewer Mark Androvich (who's a genuine retrogamer) likes the way this game is shaping up, 3D or not. He says they've done a fine job at getting the gameplay right, and it feels a bit like some of the classics. Might be worth checking out.

cool idea sku_u!! Hope this one takes off! @AtariPitbull-thats why there are Atari Freaks like us amongst the living to explain it to those who don't know-jk

Cheers

PS sku_u: could the 01 Combat Cartridge (Combat Cannonball Run)

COMBAT CANNONBALL RUN anyone??

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=514776

make its way to your class for show and tell????? post a reply to this question in the combat cannonball run thread if your interested. LMFAO-I had to ask

Troll 8)

PS sku_u: could the 01 Combat Cartridge (Combat Cannonball Run) make its way to your class for show and tell????? post a reply to this question in the combat cannonball run thread if your interested. LMFAO-I had to ask

Troll 8)

LOL, my students are a little old for show and tell :D

As kinda cool as that is, what it really amounts to is a way for Activision to direct-market the new Pitfall game to a good chunk of their target audience. It's school spam. Spam with a practical spin, but spam nonetheless. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it strikes me as rather sinister that corporate interest should encroach so insidiously upon the halls of education. I know it makes its appearance in all kinds of ways already, but advertisements so thinly veiled with a sheen of education just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Yep. I'm with MIndfield on that one. I know that schools are desperate for funding and have to compete with the consdtant barrage of media that kids are dealt, but this is pretty atrocious. The thing that turned me on to how wrong it is was when my girlfriend's kid brother's school got new outdoor backboards for baseketball - and they're big ads for Sprite.

If big corporations are going to help out schools, then they should do it with their whole heart - not as a cheap ad to a captive audience. If it said "provided through the generosity of the Coca-Cola company" on the bottom in modest letters I'd be okay with that, but kids are already WAY too brand conscious at an early age. They don't need to be forced into more of it by schools' tacit approval.

If I were a school teacher, I would really object to the Pitfall Harry compaign, unless they reduced the presence of their charaters in the literature and posters, and it wasn't just a big ad for their upcoming game. Shame on Activision for that.