IGNORED

Kickman for 2600?!?!?

popeal

Ok, another game I'm now looking for! lol

Anyways, I picked up a copy of NextGen magazine (Lifecycle 2 Vol3 #5), and they do a nice piece about classic games for classic consoles such as Vextrex, ColecoVision, and the Atari 2600.

A programmer from Digital Eclipse (Mike Mika) created a version of Kickman for the 2600! They showed a screen shot of it, and it looks damn good for a 2600 game!

If anyone has info on this one, I'd love to grab my mitts on this one!

X popeal X

www.blowoutmagazine.com

• 1 year later...

Mike Mika still has plans to release Kickman at some point, but I don't think he has time to work on it right now given job constraints (he works in the game industry and that can get pretty hairy at times). He does plan on finishing it, although I think he wants to rewrite portions of it first. I have played what he's done so far and it's pretty far along. :)

..Al

Happy Holidays. Yeah, Albert knows my pain for sure. It's been very busy at work lately. I REALLY want to finish the game, and I was hoping to start it back up last weekend, when the room I do my work in (and keep all my classic collectibles) flooded! (I live in the rain drenched Bay Area). I had to rush and salvage a lot of things in the room and tear it apart. So it seems like Kickman is doomed! Well, I am squeeking a week out of work over the holiday, so I can't make any promises, but I do want to work on it. Sorry for the terrible tease to this point.

Best,

Mike

I was really bummed when I went downstairs and heard the horrible "Squish" noise when I took a step into the room. No hardware was ruined as far as I can tell, but a lot of boxes got soaked through. I had a garage filled with soaked boxed things like the NES Uforce, some games and jewel cases (Though the Atari games were saved by their elevated place on my shelves ;). For the most part, things have dried out alright, albeit a little warped. The biggest catastrophe was my prized Atari Star Wars cockpit arcade game. The water soaked into the lower particle boards and bowed them out. Now that they are dry, they've become brittle and started to flake apart. I guess it will be a summertime of restoration.

And about the book, I wish I had some answers. We got it to a decent point, but not far enough to be too useful. It needs some work. I was planning on doing the rounds and getting guest writers to do some of the chapters. Like the "wisdom" books.

Thanks for your concerns. If I can get Kickman to a decent state over the holiday, maybe I can sneak out a demo rom for you guys.

Happy Holidays,

Mike

I was really bummed when I went downstairs and heard the horrible "Squish" noise when I took a step into the room.  

Oh yeah, I've had that happen before, though not a flood, but when a pipe leading to the toilet in my first apartment broke (read, though: nothing was IN the toilet, before anyone gets any [gross] ideas :) ). It's not a good thing to hear when you first get up in the morning, that "squish". And the pipes had just burst several months before when we had a freeze, too!

The biggest catastrophe was my prized Atari Star Wars cockpit arcade game. The water soaked into the lower particle boards and bowed them out. Now that they are dry, they've become brittle and started to flake apart. I guess it will be a summertime of restoration.

(literally gasps out loud)

*heart breaks* :(

Anyway, Kickman sounds cool, that was a bit of a different arcade game, I always liked it, good luck with the homebrew!

Cupcakus: I really could use your help. I've never attempted a restoration before. I've built a Mame cabinet and I'm amateur at best with wood working (I finally got a table saw to do work around the house). I'm clueless on how to repair particle board and I have yet to find cockpit repro decals. The bottom parts of the decals are a bit affected, with pafrticle board/moisture blistering under it. It was already in B+ shape, now maybe a C, if that is a good enough way to explain it. I don't know much about the mechanisms internally, but it appears now that the yoke "sticks", too. The physical yoke moves, but the crosshairs ingame move only around the center and have little influence by the yoke. I made sure the inside was absolutely dry before attempting to turn it on, too. My gut says maybe the moisture affected something internal. Anyhow, I'll e-mail you privately if you don't mind. As you can imagine, I was most broken up about it- it took me 19 years to get one of my own for once, and wham! Ugh. :(

Thanks,

Mike

I own a SW upright, and it was the proudest purchase I ever made. :-) It's my dream to own a cockpit cabinet for it :-). Both panels are easily remade, however sparing the decals is a big issue. I'd have to take a look at it to see, and we might be able to find some side pannels on a DOA SW cab that we can take. Please, feel free to e-mail me privately.