IGNORED

First image of ColecoVision Sky Jaguar artwork - updated

opcode

I am to happy to announce the new ColecoVision game, Sky Jaguar, is going to be released at this year's PhillyClassic. I will post further details here shortly, and probably Albert is going to post something about it too.

Sky Jaguar started as a little known Konami shooting arcade game, and later on it did its way to the MSX computers. The CV game was based on the MSX version.

Well, the good news is Sky Jaguar package is already done, though the final printed version won't be available till next week.

Anyway I would like to present first-hand the fantastic label artwork Dale Crum has created for it. Nothing but a masterpiece! :D

Eduardo Mello

post-1432-1076466123_thumb.jpg

A few more pictures. :)

In another PC5 news, AA will be sponsoring a tournament of another CV game, Ping-Pong. I am sure CV fans will be impressed by this realistic sport simulation, and the head-to-head mode is just a blast to play. Also on display will be Magical Tree, a new climbing game for the CV.

Eduardo Mello

post-1432-1076532981_thumb.jpg

UPDATE: Dale Crum (Ataricart) will have some nice Sky Jaguar buttons and posters on display at PhillyClassic5. Additionaly, he will be signing copies of Sky Jaguar and Space Invaders Collection all the time (aside a few visits to the toilet), so don't miss the chance to meet this great artist. :D

Eduardo Mello

Eduardo --

I think you single-handedly may revive the Colecovision :D . I know seeing your homebrew screens here on AA pushed me to get an Adam and get it hooked up. I'm ready now to order one of your bundle packs when they become available. I'm a big 5200 fan and having the 5200 and Colecovision together and ready to play is great. That was a great time for gaming. What is the post 2600 pre NES time period called :) ? It was a classic time with better graphics than the earlier days, but the same games. But, it ended so soon . . . until now!

Yeah but they're all "off".  They don't quite feel right, and the graphics were never as good.  These look as good as the arcade games themselves.

Tempest

Do you you really think they look more "off" then any other console at the time? I don't. I think there are examples on boths sides of this but in the end I think the CV was pretty close to the arcade for the time.

"Who knew it was capable...."

Whatever, man. The argument has been beaten to death, but I way more prefer the CV over the 5200. It sure seems to be more popular. No, the 2600 will always dominate overall in popularity, but the CV has it's share over the 5200 hands down. The translations just have a nice "feel" to them. PLus, the truly unique thing about the CV is the "off kilter" conversions (Lady Bug, Pepper II etc). Many arcade conversions to the CV were somewhat obscure in the arcades themselves.

Eduardo - you're doing awesome. I'll be sending a new version of Phoenix soon... slowly but surely it's coming along.

Scott

Amazing!  Even though I'm an Atari fanboy at heart, I've got to give up for the Colecovision.  Who knew it was capable of such great looking arcade conversions?  Why couldn't you have been a 5200 programmer instead? ;)

Tempest

IMHO both machines do have pros and cons from a technical point of view. For instance, the CV is more capable in the sprite area, while the 5200 has hardware scroll. The CV video is good for character based games (which are almost all Japanese games) while the 5200 will be better with linear frame buffer games, like Robotron and Defender. The CV has better screen resolution while the 5200 allow you to change the color palette. In the end it's up to the programmer to find the more suitable games for a given system. Also IMHO many classic arcade games were badly ported for both system mainly due tight schedules and questionable technical approuches, like trying to recreate a game just by visually inspecting the original one. Japanese companies in other hand used original source code as reference. It was a big difference...

Now about favorite systems, I have always been a big Atari fan. Back in 83 a friend of mine brought a CV from the US and after seeing it I though, "wow, that's great, but bet the 5200 is still better". Time went by, I bought my CV and I didn't see a 5200 till a few years ago. Man, how a disappointment! Moon Patrol is just attrocious! :razz: :thumbsdown: I think overall the 5200 was the most underutilized system from that time.

Eduardo Mello

Eduardo - you're doing awesome.  I'll be sending a new version of Phoenix soon... slowly but surely it's coming along.  

Scott

That's good news. I mentioned Phoenix while talking about CV homebrew releases for this year in a DP forum thread. I am anxious to see the final build. Another coming game which is high in my list is Adventure II. I have high expectations for it. :)

Eduardo Mello

IMHO many classic arcade games were badly ported for both system mainly due tight schedules and questionable technical approuches, like trying to recreate a game just by visually inspecting the original one.

That's what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to ignite the whole CV vs 5200 debate again.

Tempest

Jess,

Yeah, been working on it for many, many months now. Gettin' close to the end (I hope). Are you a big fan of Phoenix? God, I love that game so much. Some games just have a feel to them and a look that would seem like a natural port to the CV. Would you be interested in help to play test it? Getting to the point where I'd love to have comments, suggestions on the game play, graphics, sounds, etc. Let me know!

Here's a small (outdated) website explaining the project a tad bit.

http://beermile.dallastouch.com/phoenix/

Scott

This game looks great.  Will you be selling this after the Philly Classic is over?

How far along are you on Pac-Man Collection?  I can't wait to buy it.

Yep, I will. I hope to post a few more details here in the next few days.

PMC is around 50% done. But it'll be on hold till this July, when hopefully I will be finished with all MSX ports... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the first pictures of the complete Sky Jaguar package. Also shown is a picture of a batch of SJ and SIC carts going to PC5, courtesy of AtariAge.

For anyone who does want to play it before PC5, I have placed a copy of SJ for auction at eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3080922367

Eduardo Mello

post-1432-1077761186_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1077761187_thumb.jpg