IGNORED

Where to buy carts anymore?

kheller2

I'm sure there has been some threads on this but I just wanted to start another one for the heck of it.

Where does anyone find games anymore in the wild?

When I started retro-collecting in '92 (I already had a large collection from the 80's) you could find things just about anywhere. My girlfriend (now my wife) and I would hit every Goodwill, ArmyNavy thrift stores, toy shops etc.. and you would always find a constant supply of stuff. I started collecting other game systems just because there was such a large amount for a small price.

I recently decided to hit those stores again. Nothing. They don't even carry electronics of anykind anymore. (Okay, I saw two bare PS1s in a glass case).... but nothing like the 90's.

Even the flea markets we used to go to have nothing.

So... where is it all? You can't tell me there are enough collectors out there that horde this stuff.

I agree.  Even in 98 when I started it was much much easier.  I could go into a thrift store I hadnt visited in a while and come upon 20-30 new games.  Now I am lucky if I see pac man and combat.  I think ebay has taken the fun out of thrift stores.

I also think the "wild" supply is drying up. Less and less people have games to pull out of their attics.

I agree.  Even in 98 when I started it was much much easier.  I could go into a thrift store I hadnt visited in a while and come upon 20-30 new games.  Now I am lucky if I see pac man and combat.  I think ebay has taken the fun out of thrift stores.

I also think the "wild" supply is drying up. Less and less people have games to pull out of their attics.

I think more and more people are recognizing the value and fun of hanging on to the old stuff. Our secret is out!! ;)

I think it's a combination of a lot of the old stuff having already made its way to garage sales/thrifts/flea markets and the popularity of ebay.

Ah yes...ebay. *sigh* ...ebay.

As some of you may remember older posts about thrift stores and ebay related prices. Or the workers (at thifts) that tell you "yes it's worth that much! It goes for that on ebay!"

Seems like just within the last year old skool gaming's popularity has really grown. Heck, just by poking around lately, I've noticed like 10-15 new additions to the forums just in January alone. Which is great! More people means greater strength and knowledge here!

Probably a combination of stuff going to ebay, already sold, and more people are collecting.

I'd say the best bet for hunting in the wild is to look at post crash 8 bit systems. There seems to be a better supply of them out there. I treat any pre crash finds as special bonuses but to save myself from disappointment, I've stopped actually expecting to find such stuff.