IGNORED

Some ramblings on the 2600...

Dauber

I have my VCS, from circa 1983, in the closet here...once in a great while when my wife is away I'll take it out and connect it to the TV, but as I don't often have a chance to do that, I finally downloaded an emulator and played some ROMs...just a few thoughts...

Pac-Man 2600 -- WOW, what a great hack! Very good job with that. I guess back in '83 I was one of the few who was NOT disappointed with the original VCS Pac-Man. Yeah, it didn't come anywhere near the arcade version, but man, I played that thing for hours a day. I didn't get much of a chance to go to the arcades, so this is what I had to make do with. But the "new" version made from Ms. Pac-Man is really something to be proud of. Check it out if you haven't!

E.T. -- okay, finally played this thing...and yes, it really IS annoying.

RealSports Football -- the sound effects are annoying, and the rules of football aren't really followed very closely...and I really don't remember it being THAT un-Real! but I just could not stop playing it! I spent most of the day yesterday playing RSF. Something very mesmerizing about it.

Burgertime -- wow, I forgot how slow that game was. REALLY slow. I like how the difficulty switches did nothing but toggle the music. BTW -- what are the flickering rectangles supposed to be again??

Jr. Pac-Man -- I said this when I got this game for Christmas in 1987, and I'll say it again...definitely one of the best 2600 conversions I've ever seen. Job well done on that one. Crystal Castles is a good one, too.

Dodge 'Em -- Is it possible to clear the board at all?!

Breakout -- I never did own this one and therefore have never seen a manual for it, but when I was a lad I borrowed it from the neighbor a few times, and I'd forgotten how after two boards I'd never get a third one. Am I doing something wrong, or are there really only two boards?

Super Breakout -- no powerups, primitive graphics, but still my favorite bash-the-bricks game ever. My only gripe is that after a few whacks the ball starts going on that low-angle "wide" path...very annoying.

Klax -- I was shocked at how good a conversion that was. Incredible!

Keystone Kapers -- I forgot how much fun that game is! I hate those radios, though...

Pitfall! -- but I didn't forget how fun Pitfall! is...I really missed playing that game...

You can't play Dodge 'Em too long, it ends after 15 screens. :)   Still fun, until you get the patterns down.

Breakout ends after two walls, the end, no more, now move along and play Super Breakout instead, its better. :)

I've never made it past the 10th screen in Dodge 'Em. The game gets boring after a while.

Does Super Breakout have an end?

Why can't you keep your 2600 hooked up when your wife is home???  :ponder:   :D

Because it means I have to disconnect the cable.

Oh...and I also run the risk of giving myself a headache if I hook it up while she's home. :)

Besides, that's what emulation is for when Survivor is on!

what are the flickering rectangles supposed to be again??

The most appetizing cheddars I've seen in a while, I guess... Boy, is that game slow!

I thought he was talking about the hotdogs that chase you. :-D haha!

The best port I have ever played of Burgertime was done on the Intellivision... even with the disc controls! Back in the day, I owned Burgertime for my VCS, and I was convinced that you could pop off the bottom of the cartridge and play it on the Intellivision... the top part of the cartridge is exactly the same size and shape of an Intv cartridge. Needless to say, I ruined my VCS cart. Oh well. Now I have a copy of the Intellivision version and I'm happy. :-)

E.T. -- okay, finally played this thing...and yes, it really IS annoying.

SSHHHHH!!! Someone may hear you... :ponder:

I wasn't even paying attention until your "SSHHHHH," then I came to see what you boys were doing over here. Is that gum I see in your mouths? Did you bring enough for the whole class? And is that a dead frog you are hiding behind your back? Last week it was a dead rat, now it's a dead frog! You boys are in big trouble.

Dauber, have you played Solar Fox yet? That game is great. And so is E.T. (sticks tongue out then smiles).