IGNORED

N64 at Goodwill ?

I was looking at the goodwill and didnt find anything until i saw a Box marked 19.99 and a N64 Consule down there bottom shelf. I picked it up seemed okay but the reset button seemed stuck. I have never played a n64 and dont know how the reset works. I checked the cart slot to see if anything would push the button up didnt notice anything and passed on it. Is the reset easy to fix and was it a buy. I passed on it though figured a n64 at a thrift most likely is to good to be true.

Before assuming the worst I would ask the seller at the store to turn it on and see if it works. The N64's reset button is composed of two things: a switch soldered to the mainboard and the button you see in the case. The button has a springy action -- you press it, goes down slightly and then it goes back to it's original place after releasing. If it stays down it could be that the button in the case is busted or that the switch itself is broken.

I think you did the right thing passing it up. If you are really interested in getting an N64 you are better off buying a used one from Electronics Boutique (wich has a warranty) or getting a bundle with games and extra gamepads at ebay.

Ask about their refund policy. Here in Tulsa you can get a refund if games don't work, but I don't know about electronics. I passed up 2 playstations yesterday at $15 each. They were consoles only. The going rate for the N64 with controller and cables is about $25 at local pawns.

I just don't like the system and sold mine with 1 game for $20 last year.