IGNORED

Asteroids question

Rocko

My goal in Asteroids is always to avoid moving... and if I DO have to move, my goal is to come to a stop again as soon as possible.

Except when I was a kid and I could spend 3 hours at a time playing. Then inevitably I'd eventually just thrust full speed and see how long I could fly around the screen before I hit something!

I used to stay in one place and just shoot at the asteroids that threatened to smash me to bits, but after buying Blasteroids and playing that for awhile, I find it more fun to move around. It just took me awhile to get used to using a joystick for the game instead of Blasteroids' rotary controllers. (if only I had the hacked version of Asteroids that uses the driving controllers... I guess I'll have to save up for that :))

I too just sit in the middle on the 2600 version. It was just too easy. But in the arcade I eventually realized that the 2600 ver was not a direct translation. Typically I'd hit (slam) Hyperspace like some kind of desparation move. Usually I didn't last long after I got my bearings again.

Hex.

[ "Ki- Ki- Ki- Ki- Ki-!" -- Metabee; just before he loses his temper again ]

There's no ufo ship so you can play from the middle virtually the entire time.

If you didn't know already, if you set the difficulty switch to A, then you'll have UFO's. ;) I couldn't imagine playing Asteroids without them! I'd also recommend playing the even numbered variations of the game for more varied Asteroid movement. :)

How do I play Asteroids?

2600: It depends! Sometimes On the shields variation, I'd just stay in the middle and use shields whenever an asteroid comes close. I got good enough at the game that when bored, I'd thrust around

Arcade: Here's the clincher.. I SUCK at the arcade version. I used to stay in the middle, but I'd never get anywhere (could never even score 10,000). Then I saw some master players play, and they'd thrust around all over the place hunting for UFO's. One guy just thrust up constantly when there were few asteroids. But I tried this.. I CAN'T do it! I either crash or the ufo shoots me anyway

Arcade: Here's the clincher.. I SUCK at the arcade version. I used to stay in the middle, but I'd never get anywhere (could never even score 10,000). Then I saw some master players play, and they'd thrust around all over the place hunting for UFO's. One guy just thrust up constantly when there were few asteroids. But I tried this.. I CAN'T do it! I either crash or the ufo shoots me anyway

There's a cool glitch on early Asteroids arcade games: If you keep your ship where the high score is you will never die. You're invincible. This was fixed on the later versions of the Arcade classic.

• 2 weeks later...