IGNORED

What happenned to the "starship" game?

bond007pr

Hi everyone:

I was just wondering what happenned to the "starship" game.Did atari fade it away?I saw it featured on early atari catalogs,but as the publications were revised and the time went by,this game particularly was kind of "left behind".Any one have some info on this?

thanks,

bond007pr :)

I know that at least two other games were dropped from the Atari catalog.

Miniature Golf

Flag Capture

It's funny I had never heard of Miniature Golf until my sister's roommate had one in her collection. She had grown up in Europe and so I had thought it had been just released there.

The first place I saw a version of this game was in Antic Magazine, in one of their games of the month.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v4n3/MiniGolf.html

Star Ship is played with the right controller.  Its a GREAT idea, and WOULD be fun, if it didn't really suck and wasn't pretty easy. :sad:  

Stan - thanks for making me double check my PCAE settings...I have just now played my first game of Star Ship, which was I game I always wanted as I looked in the catalogs. After 25 years of wanting to play this game...

you're right. Sucks and is too easy. The manual was for crap, too - the right controller thing isn't mentioned until the two player games...which I wasn't planning on playing. The wife has no interest in Stella...she sticks to the Coleco emulator...especially since the console needs some ficing that I cannot do (without breaking it...no skillz).

Thanks for all your help on this, everyone! :D

you're right.  Sucks and is too easy.  The manual was for crap, too - the right controller thing isn't mentioned until the two player games...

Yes it does. Page 3, under One Player Games. "You are alone on these games. Your television screen becomes your Space Ship Window as you guide your ship deep into space with the right joystick controller..."

Quite a few really early games (that use the joystick) use the right controller jack for 1-player games...I suspect this was done so people could leave their paddles plugged into the left jack.

Star Ship happens to be my favorite Atari game (it does NOT suck! :P ). One thing most people fail to recognize is that your ship moves relative to the positions of the Space Objects, not the stars (yes, it's that primitive). There is nothing wrong with the controls. Another reason people hate this game is they don't play Game 4, which much more challenging and fun (yes, fun) than Game 1, which is pretty weak. If you've only played Game 1, then you haven't played Star Ship. (Help me out here, Godzilla!)

Warp Drive (Game 11) and Lunar Lander (Game 14) are also pretty cool.

As far as Star Ship being discontinued due to lack of sales, I cannot in the furthest stretch of my imagination believe that Star Ship was outsold by the likes of Basic Math...